Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
'80s Avion Value question

I read the many comparisons and the pros and cons between Airstreams and Avions. Both are quality coaches with looks and coolness going to the AS and Frame and cabinetry going to the Avion. I really like the 80’s Avion 25 footer. Can anyone tell me how they like theirs and anything on their value and what I should expect to pay for one in good to great shape for its age? Any help or added input would be much appreciated. Thanks Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
68 Avion

We love our Vintage Avion. The original refrigerator still works. The original heater still works, however I prefer to use our electric portable radiator.We had to replace the toilet because we couldn't find replacement parts.We are still working on the water heater and may need to replace it too. It has lots of storage space and the magnets on the ceiling hold up the upper cabinet doors.My husband says it pulls great due to the unique suspension. We have dark tinted windows for privacy and they help keep it cool inside, but the airconditioner works great too. We do not cook inside but the burners and oven all work fine.The layout in our 28' has the dinette in the front, bathroom in the back and twins down the hallway. It may not be an Airstream but it was built solid and to last. We have had it out camping about five times and plan to use it regularly this camping season. Ours will never be shiney because it is anodized aluminum, saves a lot of work!
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
1987 Avion 34X

Hi Tony,

I am the happy and proud owner of a 1987 Avion 34X. I'm also a perfectionist engineer and will try to spread a little love here

I have owned both Airstream and Avion. I like them both. That being said, your research has led you correctly:

The structure of the Avion is vastly superior to that of the Airstream. You simply cannot compare the two. The Airstream uses a 5" deep frame (if you're lucky...a 4" deep one on the old ones) for the whole thing. The Avion uses a 6" deep frame for the primary frame, but has an 8" deep suspension frame for about 40% of it's length in the center....so you get 14" of frame where the bending is the worst. You will have ZERO sag or separation with an Avion. Advantage: Avion

The Airstream uses ALCLAD skins, which will polish up like a mirror. Avion used annodized skins. The annodizedation was supposed to last forever and protect the skins from corrosion. Well, in general, they do tend to corrode less than an Airstream. But, an Avion will never polish up to a mirror finish like an Airstream. And, the truth is, the alclad skins rarely ever oxidize "that" badly, so you can find one that's sat in a field for thirty years and usually polish her back to perfection. Advantage: Airstream

Cabinetry depends upon the year. In the mid 80's, Avion kicked arse pretty hard. My '87 has beautiful hardwood cabinetry with stained glass inserts. Very classy. I'd give the nod to Avion here, but I may be biased as my '77 Excella 500 had all plastic interior with the horrible tambour doors that were supposed to look like a 747 or something.

I agree with you on looks and coolness: The Airstreams just look better with their more rounded proportions....but the new Airstreams look like the '80s Avions, being a bit more squared off.

OK, so you're bottom line; price.

Check these guys out:
avioncampingandrestoration : Avion Camping and Restoration - Repair,

Dr. Donald Gradeless is THE authority on Avions. He is very much like Inland Andy at Inland RV who is the guru of Airstreams.

Check this one out too: Home

I think Don runs this site.

Don said that my '87 was worth about $12K in the condition I found it (I paid $7200 and then put $600 immediately into a set of tires to move it); closer to $18K in the condition I have it now (pretty doggone nice....new fridge, new a/c, new water heater, new king bed in the back to replace the twins....). But, that was two years ago. Who knows what it's worth now with this economy.....$50 maybe?

All I can tell you is that you will not be sad with a silver Avion. They built a first class product. If you get one that is prior to 1988, you will not have to deal with the rubber suspension (just like Airstream's) that wears out every 15 years. Mine has the six individual swingarms and six spring packs and six shocks. It rides like a dream, and won't wear out. Sure, I replaced the shocks on it....but the axles are good forever. I think they went to that system around 1980 or so. Prior to that, they used Mor-Ryde which was supposedly even better.

All this being said, I really loved my '77 Excella 500 31 footer...but she had both sag and separation and needed a whole new frame. I wanted to rebuild her but just didn't have the time....so sold her to a couple that already had a stream and wanted one to do a ground up frame up full on restoration.

Just the same, I LOVE my silver sister, am a happy member of TAC now (they accept all silver trailers), and am camping and having a ball!

Best of luck to you!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
One more reference: silveravion.com - lots of scans of old brochures.

Dr. G was very helpful for information when I trying to figure out my chances of finding an elusive 23' side-bath.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We have a 1973 Avion Travecader. We love it, not that we don't love the Airstream too but the Avion has a comfort about it.

Avions are generally heavy than Airstreams and the skin is anodized (beginning somewhere in the 61 to 62 vintage). They went to formed end cap panels beginning in 73.

You definitely don't see as many of them and IMHO you can't go wrong with one.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I just came back to reread what you all wrote and realized I had not thanked you for your input. JimGolden special thanks for your perfectionist engineer perspective and insight. I maybe forced to pass on the 25 foot 1986 due to the towing capacity of my van. In another post I have gotten some good responses on my towing issues that varied but basically is summed up that I could do it but it would beat the heck out of my van at best.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-my-64148.html

Guess what? I still want the thing, that is, if I could get it for a fair price, even a high fair price. Currently it is a quite a bit high. I figure if I pass on it I will find something else (24' Argosy, Tradewind, Safari) and say how could of I of been considering the Avion at even the price I would currently be willing to pay for it even if it is all I hoped for. Thanks Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
One bit of trailering advice given most often on this forum, is that you probably shouldn't let your tow vehicle limit your choice of trailer. The trailer is most likely going to be with you much longer than the tow vehicle, so if your current TV won't pull the trailer of your dreams, it'll be easier to buy a new TV than it will be to find another ideal trailer.

Just a bit of the collected wisdom here on the Forums, and I think it is sound advice.

Regardless, good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote