Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Nice!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
I've have the exact flooring in my trailer.
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Barkingdogg, your flooring was in condition I imagine. Mine was not so it's being replaced. It's a shame because it's so vintage and impossible to find now.

Here's an updated photo. I've been painting and painting till I feel like fainting. I added some trim on the doors for more detail. How do you like it so far?

More photos to come! Almost ready to lay down the floor which will be vinyl tiles because they're affordable and come in cool colors.

And I'll be testing the propane water heater & stove this week so it will be nice to see if they work. I need to order a new fresh water tank and I've been looking at Plasticmart which is where most of go to buy new from what I read here. If anyone knows a better place or local to Phoenix, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b&a8.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	172077  

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
silverwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #64
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Glad it's going well. They don't seem so big until a job like this comes along. One learns new appreciation for the design challenges.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Update Interior

It's been a while so I wanted to post some photos of the interior progress. I'm getting ready to make curtains, test the propane system, order a new fresh water tank and water pump and build a bed frame. I'm also ordering all new exterior LED lights, cleaning and painting the tongue and replacing wiring there. New tires and anything I need to do with the running gear, axle, brakes, shocks, bearings, new black water tank and dropping the belly pan to repair, inspect and clean will be done in January. It's been a lot of fun so far although I think I got a little carried away with the colors. It will all come together when I get the textiles and accessories in my Bohemian Baby.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b&a10.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	173056   Click image for larger version

Name:	b&a9.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	173057  

Name:	b&a11.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	173058  

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 11-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #66
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Well, I'd never paint it those colors, but we all have different tastes. It looks nice and clean and quite bohemian. I think you're doing a good job.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Nifty!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #68
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I looked at the OP and I don't think the spelling question about "duchess" was completely answered. I looked it up and the word comes from "duc" ("duke" in English) and has nothing to do with residents of Holland or their language. So, no "t".

So if there's a Duke model, what is the difference between them? I imagine the Duke is bigger, but my naughty mind imagines other differences which would look really strange on a trailer.

I just hate loose ends.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #69
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Glad the work is progressing well, SW.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
We air pressure tested the propane lines and there's a leak so that's what I'm working on now so I can test the stove and water heater. Gene, I think the Duchess story is a question for Tom Patterson. Interesting though, I would like to know the answer. The Duke is bigger then the Duchess but that's about all I know.

Speaking of Tom Patterson...now that I'm ready to order the blue Streamline lettering for the back and front - I cannot find the website anywhere in my bookmarks or in a search here and in Google. Can someone please post that link for me? It's Tom Patterson's site to order not the forum or message board. I looked there too. thank you ~ I think someone here knows it...I hope.

Nevermind I just found it. http://www.tompatterson.com/Logos/catalog/

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 11-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Color

I can see you are not afraid of color. I'm not either as long as my wife says its ok. I think it looks great.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Do you have a procedure handy for air testing the propane systems? That's on my list.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #73
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
We rigged fittings together with a water/air pressure valve so we could attach a bicycle pump Schrader valve to pump air into the lines. It cost about $40 (Home depot) all together but it works great and it's very accurate. It lost pressure right away so there must be a big leak. Leave it on for several hours to be sure, even a tiny leak can be read.

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
This is everything for a homemade propane line test.

Air pressure gauge ($10)

gas line tape

1/4" FIP pipe Tee 1/4" MIP x Close brass pipe nipple

1/4" MIP x Close brass pipe nipple

1/4" Barb x 1/4" MIP hose barb adapter

Schrader valve bicycle tire pump

We had to remove the factory fitting on the pressure gauge (which wasn't easy to do) to attach the fittings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	propanelinetest.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	173436  

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Need wheel cap?

I'm not sure of the name of this part, maybe someone can tell me. I'm calling it a wheel cap. I'm looking for a replacement. One was missing when I bought my Streamline Duchess. I'm getting ready to work on the axles, shocks, brakes, etc and get new tires. I thought I'd clean up the original wheels even though I'd like to have 16" eventually so I can have better tires but for now I'm going with 15" trailer tires. Does anyone have this piece or can you refer somewhere I can get it? I've written to Tom Patterson and searched the internet but haven't been able to locate anything yet. It's stamped with HADCO L.A. CAL on it. The photos show one wheel with and one without the cap piece.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheelcap1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	175076   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelcap2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	175077  

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #76
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
It's called a dust cap and it is a standard part on all cars and trucks for the last 80 years. You can get one for a couple of $$$ bucks at any auto parts store. They come in different sizes, you might want to take one off and bring it to the store to make sure you get the right one. They won't have your trailer in their database.

Use a screwdriver or small pry bar to remove one, working your way around and prying little by little. Put them back on by tapping with a hammer, do not hit too hard, they dent easy. If you have a big socket wrench or a piece of pipe that will slip over the cap, to use as a driver, so much the better.

While you are checking the brakes, tires etc don't forget to clean and repack the bearings. When you do this, put on new grease seals. Inspect the bearings carefully, if they show any wear replace them. They are not expensive and a bad bearing can ruin your day when traveling.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwoman View Post
I'm not sure of the name of this part, maybe someone can tell me. I'm calling it a wheel cap. I'm looking for a replacement. One was missing when I bought my Streamline Duchess. I'm getting ready to work on the axles, shocks, brakes, etc and get new tires. I thought I'd clean up the original wheels even though I'd like to have 16" eventually so I can have better tires but for now I'm going with 15" trailer tires. Does anyone have this piece or can you refer somewhere I can get it? I've written to Tom Patterson and searched the internet but haven't been able to locate anything yet. It's stamped with HADCO L.A. CAL on it. The photos show one wheel with and one without the cap piece.
It is a standard dust cap. Remove one of the ones you have and take it to an auto parts store and ask for another the same size.

BTW, calling it a wheel cap only confuses the issue. It goes on the hub, not the wheel. When you remove the wheel, the dust cap remains on the hub. That's probably why you had no luck finding it on the internet. However, I have no explanation for why hubcaps go on the wheels not the hubs. It's just more auto terminology. Probably because all that existed on early cars were the dust caps on the hubs and the decorative wheel covers kind of developed from there. Some places call them wheel covers which is really more correct.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
IF you really want to clean them up on the cheap, pick up a set of these "baby moon" hubcaps. I believe this is where I got a set for our Shasta which are holding up well.

Chrome Hub Caps: Low Cost Trailer Supplies
Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Just in case you need it, here is an old post I made for grease seals.

I had a contact from another Streamline owner because of a post about grease seals for my 66 Streamline Duke. I found seals as follows:
I got them thru Motion Industries in Oklahoma City. 405 943 3316. They had to order them from a California wholesaler called ABI. http://www.abiindustries.com/ had to buy 18 but they were only $3 each, figure it's a lifetime supply for me.
# SE200-326-652VC Seal to replace Hadco 3063. They are not quite the same but fit & do the job. Hope this helps others looking.
Barkingdogg
Old 12-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Awesome! Thanks for all your answers, you were so helpful. I never thought locating the dust cap would be so simple. I've been looking for baby moons and the reviews on vintagetrailer said theirs were soft and dented easily so JeweloJalopy how would you rate the quality on yours? For the price, I'm not sure about most of the ones I've seen. I also looked on ebay for some vintage, stronger baby moons but I could only find 1 or a set - not 4. I wouldn't mind paying more because I'm afraid I will dent the soft ones putting them on. Thanks again everyone! Wishing you all a wonderful holiday!

'58 Shasta Canned Ham