Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Sierra Vista , Arizona
60's Silver Streak Needs New Frame

We just acquired a mid 60's Silver Streak Sabre (17 footer) in need of restoration. Has any one out there built a new frame for one of these classics? I would like to make one out of aluminum if possible. Any Suggestions? This is our first post and we are in desperate need of restoration advise. We would like to post photos of our progress so all could see how the restoration is taking shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silver Streak Trailer Restoration 004.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	330384  
dccywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:34 PM   #2
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Why do you want a new frame? Is there something the matter with the old one? That model came with a very good frame, they seldom give trouble. I should think the frame would be the last thing you need to worry about.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
Why do you want a new frame? Is there something the matter with the old one? That model came with a very good frame, they seldom give trouble. I should think the frame would be the last thing you need to worry about.
Thank you for your response to my post. In fact, you are the first person to have responded from my original post. When I first acquired the Silver Streak, I discovered that water had damages not just the flooring when you step into the trailer through the front door, but when I exposed the frame, it had completely rusted the area where the water had gotten to it. It is still winter here, and when it warms up I want to pull the aluminum belly and expose the rest of the frame. Looking through some of the posts on this site, I discovered a post where someone had built a new frame for his vintage trailer and it looked like it could be done. I appreciate your feedback
Old 03-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
These frames are good quality as stated before. and often when they need replacement, at all, they have been living on the beach. That will rust out anything. Unless the main frame rails are rusted through the outriggers can be fairly easily replaced.

Aluminum has a problem with fatigue cracks. IT can be done, but still not recommended most of the time. I'd use galvanized steel if I was going to replace a frame. It would be built/welded up, then coated.
That naked steel frame lasted for 50 years. Are you planning on owning it longer than that?

I have a 23 ft Sabre completely restored.WWW.Silverlodger.com for picture of the whole process.
elewayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
After thought here. you need to join the Streamline Royal Rovers Group.
Facebook page too. That is the remainder of the old Royal Rovers club for streamline trailers but it is now combined with Silver Streak, and Avion and any of the silver Trailers. We have a great event planned this fall at Dolores River park near Durango Co.We would all love to meet you. You may belong already.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewayne View Post
After thought here. you need to join the Streamline Royal Rovers Group.
Facebook page too. That is the remainder of the old Royal Rovers club for streamline trailers but it is now combined with Silver Streak, and Avion and any of the silver Trailers. We have a great event planned this fall at Dolores River park near Durango Co.We would all love to meet you. You may belong already.
Good Morning from rainy Southeastern Arizona, Thank you for the information about the Streamline Royal Rovers Group. We will look into joining your group. What a great place to meet and camp in Durango, Colorado especially during the summer. Right now I'm watching our SS Sabre get wet in this soaking rain. Thank you for your interest in our restoration of our Sabre. About the frame, I know there is rust and water damage to the frame and wooden flooring as you enter the coach. Our restoration will begin in earnest when the weather warms. We will be doing the restoration outside in our cul-de-sac. I hope I can do what you have done with your rig. We hope to meet with you and swap stories someday.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Recommend a shell off restoration. Do you have any pictures of your rusted frame? Hard to believe that you need a new frame.

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Recommend a shell off restoration. Do you have any pictures of your rusted frame? Hard to believe that you need a new frame.

toastie
At the moment and until we can pull up the wooden flooring, much of which has rotted out due to water damage, especially around the door, sink plumbing, etc., we are not sure of the entire frame's condition. Once we have the aluminum belly pan removed and expose the frame, we will be able to determine what needs to be done to the frame. Thank you for your comment and we will continue showing our restoration progress on this site.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewayne View Post
These frames are good quality as stated before. and often when they need replacement, at all, they have been living on the beach. That will rust out anything. Unless the main frame rails are rusted through the outriggers can be fairly easily replaced.

Aluminum has a problem with fatigue cracks. IT can be done, but still not recommended most of the time. I'd use galvanized steel if I was going to replace a frame. It would be built/welded up, then coated.
That naked steel frame lasted for 50 years. Are you planning on owning it longer than that?

I have a 23 ft Sabre completely restored.WWW.Silverlodger.com for picture of the whole process.
Good Morning, Thank you for responding to my post back in March. I'm wondering if you had some advice for removing the entire aluminum belly pan? I assume it is held in place by the rivets, but they're not just the pop rivets where you just drill out the center and they come off. I am moving the rig to my back yard and putting the frame on jack stand and then will start with the belly pan so I can expose the frame to see what weather damage has done to it. I know there is frame damage to the frame as rain and water has rotted the wood in the door entry way and you can see the major rust on the frame. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give. I too will try to post pictures to this site as it progresses along.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Hi, I didn’t have to work on my frame at all. Only surface rust. Just lucky I guess.
Google 20ft Silver Streak.
There is a guy who pulled the whole body and belly pan and replaced some outriggers on his frame. He has lots of good pictures. I’m not sure if he ever finished the trailer interior though.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I haven’t been in this forum for a long time so I just read this thread.

If you are doing a frame off restoration, that would be where you can really access what needs to be done.

For me, if there was a lot of rust, I would make a new frame instead of patching it.

In fact, if I was building a single axle frame, I would use a Flexi-ride rubber torsion axle. They seem to ride better than a single leaf spring.

Hopefully the restoration goes well.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post

toastie
Good Evening Toastie, We want to take the belly pan off first to expose the frame to get a better look at it. I hope to take and post some pictures as we do this process. We have exposed the frame where there is wood rot and can see the frame in that location is very rusted. We will probably gut the interior after removing the belly pan and hopefully lift the shell off the frame. Any suggestion before we begin would be appreciated. Thanks for your response.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:54 PM   #13

Langley , British Columbia
hello

I have a similar trailer to you. I have a 1968 18 foot silver streak sabre, with trunk. I finished a complete restoration 1 year ago. New floor, frame repair, new belly pan, all new interior etc, etc, etc.
Email me for answers to any questions. rhkirkham@hotmail.com
1968ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #14

Airstream - Other
Minnetonka , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccywood View Post
We just acquired a mid 60's Silver Streak Sabre (17 footer) in need of restoration. Has any one out there built a new frame for one of these classics? I would like to make one out of aluminum if possible. Any Suggestions? This is our first post and we are in desperate need of restoration advise. We would like to post photos of our progress so all could see how the restoration is taking shape.

Just wondering how the restoration is going. We have the same trailer without the trunk. I am wondering if your frame needs to be replaced or if it can be repaired. We brought ours home from the PNW and the floor was completely rotten. I’ve removed all the interior and floor. The frame has surface rust and one cross beam under the roof vent needs to be replaced but we are going to leave the body in place on ours. Your trailer looks to be in better shape than ours was. I’m wondering how bad that frame is. You might just need to patch a couple spots like ours.
heliconman is offline   Reply With Quote