Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #1

21 ft. Alumacoach

has anyone heard of this trailer, it looks like an airstream but was built in richmond bc canada. it's a 1971 and i would like to know more about it.
miles 172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 07:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I've not heard of Alumacoach, but a Google search revealed story of couple in Ft. Steele BC selling their Plymouth used to haul one across Canada... May be same people, but phone number listed... ALumacraft came back as boat builders, and not much else...

There are Aluma-lite trailers built in US with metal frames, but yours may be a true orphan...

You might try some of the specialty shops like Vintage Vacations or Iowa Boys in Calif to see if anyone there has heard of them...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:03 AM   #3

Terrace , British Columbia
We live in Terrace British Columbia Canada and own Alumacoach number 026. Ask away with whatever you would like to know and I'll try to help.
roger45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:10 AM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Ain't this forum great? You ask a truly unique question and you get an expert willing to assist you.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
There was a restored Alumacoach for sale in Langley last year. It was at an RV dealer on 208th street and about 44th. It had been owned by I think one of the automotive dealers (Preston perhaps???) and was in very nice shape. It may still be there, I've not been past that lot for quite some time. It looked to be well built. There was also one on the highway east of Mission two years ago but it was in brutal shape and the owner insisted it was made by Airstream as a model like the Argosy and wanted serious bucks for it. It was so dirty inside we were unwilling to go in to take a look.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Alumacoach trailers

Dear Owners of Alumacoach trailers, Pictures, we want pictures PLEASE!
Kev
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Alumacoach 1971

Hey. I have photos of my Alumacoach. I am just trying to get it back on the road. We bought it for 1000 dollars 5 years ago. I am trying to find a front piece for it , but alas, where to find it. They are very rare trailers.. If anyone knows where I can find parts for it let me know!!!
alumacoach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Have you tried the tin can tourist website? They have a lot of cool trailers there - and a bunch of restorers of aluminum - other trailers.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:23 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
I am currently repairing my AlumaCoach. I have taken off the bottom aluminum underneath to find a section of the floor in need of repair. apparently the previous owner decided to weld the step on instead of bolting it.. So there was fire damage underneath from a torch.. I have to repair the front of the trailer as well. Any thoughts to how I can bend the aluminum to fit? Also, does anyone know where i can find a box of rivets??? i would need 200 or so.. Thanks I have photos of my trailer. I will be posting photos of the progress of the trailer as We are currently repairing it.
alumacoach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:53 PM   #10
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumacoach1
Hey. I have photos of my Alumacoach. I!!!
I can't help you with your queries. Sorry.
But we Aluminuts really would be grateful to see the pictures.
Thanks
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #11
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Rivets in various sizes can be purchsed at www.vintagetrailersupply.com, www.inlandrv.com and many other places including harbour frieght and (some) local hardware stores.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 07-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #12

Masset , BC
haida gwaii alumacoach

hey all,

i just signed up to learn what there is to know about alumacoaches too, but it seems like it is a mystery to most well-knowledged alluminum travelling people. i just bought one, in pretty rough shape. most of the interior has been gutted by the previous owner (things get pretty mouldy here on Haida Gwaii) and i'm working with the bare bones of it. i've removed the chainsmoker drenched mildewy interior vinyl and i'm ripping out the rotten plywood floor, rustcoating the metal supports and replacing the floor insulation.
anyone know what kind of insulation/plywood material would be best for the job?

there's no way i can restore it to its former glory but i'm working with the local materials at hand, planning on refinishing the interior with salvaged sailboat wood.... high almighty plans, but a fun project. my friend and i are considering using it down the road as an alternative energy demonstration-mobile.

anyone with more info, and pictures on what the interiors of these trailers are supposed to look like, would be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
elin
elin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:20 AM   #13

Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Family Member of Alumacoach Builders

I can see there is a lot of interest in the Alumacoach!
That is just what My Dad and His patner Ron Smith had in mind when They built these beautiful trailers. It was a real Family affair at the Richmond Plant as My grand Father Orval Bowden was one of the craftsman that built the Alumacoach and I, even at 6 years old had the chance to put some of the rivets into the outer skin along side My Grandfather .

I had a chance to go camping in The 21 and the smaller single axle unit as My Dad Jim Brambley would take units out on the weekend to create interest in these awesome works of art and those of You that still own a piece of history will agree with.

When I asked My Father why the Alumacoach did not succed He said that basically it was to advanced for its time and We would leave it at that.

I am sorry but I don't know a whole lot more about this piece of History but those of You that own an Alumacoach please take good care of it as You really have a piece of My Family History in Your yard.

Any Photo's Posted would be greatly appreciated

Happy Camping

Nelson Brambley
nb199099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:31 AM   #14
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi Nelson and welcome to the forums. Your post is fascinating! It's really nice to see a more personal piece of info.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 10-22-2006, 09:46 AM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumacoach1
I am currently repairing my AlumaCoach. I have taken off the bottom aluminum underneath to find a section of the floor in need of repair. apparently the previous owner decided to weld the step on instead of bolting it.. So there was fire damage underneath from a torch.. I have to repair the front of the trailer as well. Any thoughts to how I can bend the aluminum to fit? Also, does anyone know where i can find a box of rivets??? i would need 200 or so.. Thanks I have photos of my trailer. I will be posting photos of the progress of the trailer as We are currently repairing it.
Alumacoach1,
I would need to see pictures of what you are wanting to repair. However if you can get the same grade of aluminum a good aircraft repair shop or a custom car shop should be able to roll you a new piece on an english wheel. I have a very small one and it is amazing what can be done on one. I have been in the aircraft heavy maintenance hanger at CLT for USAirways and they have an english wheel that will roll to the center of a 10'x10' panel

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #16

Photos for Viewing

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alumacoach 1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	498.7 KB
ID:	53814
Well, here is a photo from 2006 of our 21ft Number 26 Alumacoach. We have since removed the red duct tape residue leftover from the previous owner who had apparently been using the trailer at a logging camp and had used the tape and plastic to winterize. The residue was extremely dificult to remove as it had hardened from age and ultraviolet exposure. After it was removed, we began buffing the trailer to bring back the shine.

Name:	Alumacoach 2.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	53815
This is an overall veiw. As you can see, there was significant damage to the left front side, where again, the previous owner had resorted to duct tape repair. Later photos show where we removed the panel. As I did not have access to an english wheel, the panel was straigtened to the best of my ability with wood blocks and rubber malets. I was able to stretch and smooth the panel enough to line up the origional rivet holes and replace it. While less than perfect, at least it seals well with some butyl tape between the seams. The aluminum chanels behind the panel were also damaged. Those were straigtened out and sandwiched between two strips of contoured plywood to make up for lost structural strength where the bending had fatigued the aluminum.

Name:	Alumacoach 3.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	53816Click image for larger version

Name:	Alumacoach 4.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	53817
Some pics of the interior in origional condition. We are debating resoration to origional specs or rearanging and updating the floor plan to more modern standards. Any thoughts?

Name:	Alumacoach 5.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	53818
An origional decal/stamp beside the door...

Name:	Alumacoach 6.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	53819Click image for larger version

Name:	Alumacoach 7.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	53820
The front section of 3/4" marine plywood used in the origional construction was badly rotted around the edges, causing the trailer to sag a bit in one corner. We replaced the entire 4' section of floor in the front with new plywood, bringing the trailer back to its origional alignment and level. The door now closes properly and the leak from front plexiglass window has miraculously disapeared.

Name:	Alumacoach 8.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	53821
Work continued from the front to the back. All of the underside aluminum was removed, along with the old insulation. The waste water tank was dangling, so it was secured back to the underside of the flooring. Some work still remains to be done to complete the underside, including rewiring of the electric brakes and plumbing for a replacement flush toilet. Suspension and axles were found to be in good condition.

We plan to have this project completed enough to tour in by August 2008. Our road trip should then uncover any bugs or room for improvement for the next stages of rebuilding. For now, we just want the trailer in usable condition and over time, will have it in as good as new or better condition. We will be towing with a 2000 Durango R/T rated to tow 7900 lbs. We estimate the trailer to be about 2800-3000 lbs empty.
roger45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Thanks for sharing the pictures and your process. I look forward to seeing your progress on this project.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
What a beautiful piece of history! Thanks for posting. I usually say that if I can't make it better than new there was no point in the rebuild, however these are so rare I would vote for keep original.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Surrey , British Columbia
1971 Alumacoach #9.

Hello.

I live in the Vancouver area and have just purchased an alumacoach. I would appreciate anything you may have learned about these trailers.
Do you happen to know how much they weigh?

Thanks in advance.
71alumacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Flyfisher
I have to agree this site never ceases to amaze me with the expertize here. That's why I keep reading and keep commin back no matter what.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote