Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1980 Silver Streak Luxury Liner Supreme

Hey everyone, I'm looking at a silver streak mentioned in the subject line. I would be a first time trailer owner so I may ask some silly questions!

There are some areas of the trailer that concern me. There is a picture of under the trailer where there is a hole and clearly some damage in 2 spots. The rest of the exterior is, for its age as close to perfect as it gets. Also, it looks like the electrical breaker is missing and I did not see a cover panel for the hookups and such. He mentioned that the 2 propane tanks were stolen. There is some rust on the tongue that didn't seem too severe and maybe I could grind some of it off and pain or seal it.

As for the interior, it's in near perfect condition. The appliances do not look like they have ever been used. The trailer has no weird smells or anything. The sub floor roughly above where the hole is in the bottom felt a tad spongy, so I'm thinking it may be some water damage there. The dub floor felt very firm everywhere else. The trailer was covered since purchased pretty much, and was used for the owner to write in. It's been I Prescott az it's whole life.

It has electronic jack and levelers as well. It's all original inside with no scratches on any cabinets or counters. He's asking $7250 I got him down to $6,500, but I'm concerned about the stuff in the pics. I know no one can give a definite answer but in general from the pics, what would the cost be to repair? Any advice you can give would be great, considering if this trailer is worth it.

The owner showed me all of the original paperwork from when he purchased the trailer. Title is clean as he showed it to me. Again the exterior is amazing in condition. It doesn't have an awning, but it has brand new tires, original rims and additional spare rim. All hinges operate smoothly with no squeaking. I noticed 1 rivet in the interior missing on the entire trailer, and the rest are in amazing shape as well.

Let me know what you guys think if this is a good find. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1471900439157.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	269762   Click image for larger version

Name:	1471900454417.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	269763  

Name:	1471900500658.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	269764   Click image for larger version

Name:	1471900530301.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	269765  

Name:	1471900582547.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	269766   Click image for larger version

Name:	1471900658824.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	269767  

Name:	1471900700664.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	269768   Click image for larger version

Name:	1471900785831.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	269769  

shaneskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Seams odd that both the electrical and gas systems are missing. You can't check any appliances there for you are buying a box. Could be a very interesting project and defiantly will be an eye catcher.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

HowieE
Yeah it makes me somewhat nervous that I can't check the appliances. I'm normally inclined not to believe anyone just on a whim but seeing how the exterior and interior was in such great condition it's hard not to believe the guy that they work. I have no expectation that no work would need to be done of course. My biggest concern is the electrical panel and the hole in the belly pan. It's hard to find any silver streak at this price here in AZ, at least one that isn't completely trashed and needs a full reno.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
The main concern I'd have is the corrosion inside the belly pan where the aluminum has suffered electrolysis from touching the steel frame probably in the presence of moisture. Could be rusty cross members or maybe not. Everything else not a hard fix. Probably a good deal. If it was me I'd open that patch panel and take a look with a mirror and flashlight.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
With everything working, it could easily be worth $12K, approximately double what he is willing to accept. Do you think you could get it all together for another $6K? If so, it seems to be a good deal.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Alluminati - I've never even towed a trailer before to be honest. My wife and I enjoy vintage anything and since we want a trailer, the Airstream, silver streak, Avion, and streamline trailers fit us pretty well. I have renovated a couple homes but outside of that don't have too much experience. I've been reading this forum to glean as much as possible before purchasing. Daunting to be sure but hey, it should be worth it. So to answer your question if I think I can get it perfect for $6k, I have no clue. Lol.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
1980 Silver Streak Luxury Liner Supreme

Looks good for the price. If you pass on it please let us know. I'm sure there is a few of us who would snatch it up.

Figure in your cost new appliances, breaker panel, and ask your self if it's still worth it. If so go for it.

Does anyone know what kind of aluminum they used in the 1980s? Is it polishing grade?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
I agree, this is a nice trailer; as far as price goes, I am amazed at what the market is doing. 6-7k or so is probably reasonable, even with the question marks. I personally like the looks of these Silver Streak trailers, and I understand they are well made. Would be good to hear comments from other SS owners.

The appliances may be fine. The immediate expenses will be electrical system (may only require a couple of breakers), new axles, and replacement propane system. The thieves apparently stole the copper lines as well as the tanks.

The belly pan shows changes expected to be seen under a stabilizing jack on a trailer of this age; if you took off the opposite one, it would look the same.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Update, he sold it to someone else. Oh well. The search continues....
Old 08-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Sacramento , California
Silver Streak

I owned a 31 foot 1974 Silver Streak for 12 years that I bought in 1988 for $6,500.00. It had things I wanted to change on the interior and some upgrades as well. It was a project to make it our coach and I enjoyed working on it. The coach was well build, comfortable and very stable. The photo's I saw posted are impressive as to care of the exterior taken by the seller and that has to count for something. The longer I owned the Silver Streak the more I appreciated it. You can expect to pick up expenses from a lack of use, but once your finished you'll have a gem.
I currently own a 2013 Airstream Classic and bought it to again enjoy the good experiences I had in the Streak. Buying any RV is going to keep you tinkering.
bretharte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneskee View Post
Alluminati - I've never even towed a trailer before to be honest. My wife and I enjoy vintage anything and since we want a trailer, the Airstream, silver streak, Avion, and streamline trailers fit us pretty well. I have renovated a couple homes but outside of that don't have too much experience. I've been reading this forum to glean as much as possible before purchasing. Daunting to be sure but hey, it should be worth it. So to answer your question if I think I can get it perfect for $6k, I have no clue. Lol.
If you've never even towed a trailer before, and now this one went to someone else, you have some time to prepare. The size and weight of the trailer you can realistically buy and pull depends on your tow vehicle. If you have tons of money you can buy any trailer you want and then buy a tow vehicle that will do the job, but otherwise consider what you will be doing the towing with. Find out what its limits are and what trailer sizes and weights would be your limit. I've towed two trailers over the last 45 years with five different vehicles. I never thought gosh, I wish I had a smaller engine or vehicle. Its just so much easier when power/gearing isn't a problem. You could always buy an inexpensive used trailer and get your experience with something you won't mind dinging and denting with your current tow vehicle. Then move on up in size, weight, quality, etc. Good luck and best wishes.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Dcasr
Yeah makes sense. I own a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Duramax, I should be able to pull something like this... I'd hope, anyways. But definitely advice I will heed, especially in regards to preparing and learning what to look for in a trailer when inspecting for possible purchase. Any advice you offer, especially with 45yrs experience is priceless, I'm only 32 and just at a point in my life to make this purchase, it's one of my "dreams". Of course, I say that before I've had to work at repairing and renovating one, lol.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
You say you've renovated homes before. That puts you about 8 steps ahead of the rest of the pack. You already know how nothing goes according to plan. Everything costs twice as much, and takes three times longer to do than you budget for, lol. I'm a landlord, and have done some major renovations on historic houses. It's very gratifying when the job is complete. I've also worked on my cars, but get zero pleasure from it, and now make no apologies for paying someone else to do that work.

Working on your trailer is a combination of auto mechanic and carpenter. If you can handle that, you'll be just fine. Next time you see a bargain, don't hesitate! Go for it!
Old 08-24-2016, 02:19 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Quote:
Dcasr
Yeah makes sense. I own a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Duramax, I should be able to pull something like this... I'd hope, anyways. But definitely advice I will heed, especially in regards to preparing and learning what to look for in a trailer when inspecting for possible purchase. Any advice you offer, especially with 45yrs experience is priceless, I'm only 32 and just at a point in my life to make this purchase, it's one of my "dreams". Of course, I say that before I've had to work at repairing and renovating one, lol.

With your 2002 Duramax you should be able to pull just about any trailer, I would think. Even a 5th wheel as long as the pivot weight didn't put you over. My first trailer was a 1971 Prowler 23" and we learned on it from 1971 until we gave it away and bought a 1990 29' Airstream in 2009. We now pull the AS with a 2016 Duramax 2500 HD 4wd Crewcab. We don't even know the 29' AS is behind us until we pull into a parking lot. Mostly fuel up at the big truck islands. When you buy your first trailer, if its not new, try to keep the "needs repair" items as short as you can. The idea is to enjoy it, not spend every spare minute working on it. Several Airstreamers I know have several Airstreams: one to use and one or two "being repaired," but not yet roadworthy. Good Luck on your dreams.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Going tomorrow morning 3hrs away to take a look at another one. Any initial thoughts on this one? At least sub floor is exposed. He did say it needs new ac unit, 1 window pane, and kitchen faucet, flooring (which id rip out and replace anyways). I don't see the propane tanks either.

Link: http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/rvs/5749360543.html
Old 08-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I don't see any deal killers in the limited look. The body looks straight enough for the price. Look very closely at wall/floor junction in closets and under cabinets for any leaks, it would be rare if there isn't some water damage somewhere. As long as the frame and body are good it's probably a good unit at that price.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Yet another update. Wife took me to go see a 25' Streamline Regency, got it for $6,500. Verified water, ac, fridge, stove, and electronic parts all work. Has the front rock guard, all leveling jacks works, electric front jack works, all lights inside and out work. All windows are fine with the exception of 1 that doesn't open. Ac worked shockingly well, it was chilly in the trailer. Original rims as well. Found 2 rivets near body pan that fell off I can replace. No rust under the body pan either. It has a working awning but needs new fabric. Both propane tanks are there as well.

I'm personally a Silver Streak fan so I'm not as familiar with Streamline. My wife really wanted it, and we lost the last one we went to buy and she talked me into pulling the trigger. Will post some pics later. Oh, and the floor felt solid throughout, he had installed wood tile looking laminate flooring...

I am suspicious of the rear bath subfloor simply because of its age. No signs of water leaks or damage anywhere.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:52 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Quote:
Yet another update. Wife took me to go see a 25' Streamline Regency, got it for $6,500.........
Congratulations, and happy trails ahead.
dcasr

Old 08-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've owned several Silver Streaks. Would prefer a late Streamline 1972-4.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:57 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I've owned several Silver Streaks. Would prefer a late Streamline 1972-4.

Out of curiosity why is that? After looking over this Streamline I'm quite happy with it, I just don't know much about them. Tom Patterson site doesn't have that much on them, information is scarce!

Meanwhile, I found a wire that goes from the breaker in the back cargo area, outside to under the belly pan to roughly the center, and then it goes up through the belly pan. Seems strange. Someone also added a Rolex wire from the the breaker panel into the side wall of the bathroom around the toilet, up behind and through the cabinets towards the range. I plan on verifying where that actually goes to when I have daylight tomorrow, along with the one going in to the belly pan.

I've looked through some posts here but haven't found anything much, my search skills must be weak. So any information or links to sites or posts with some renovations on streamlines would be great! I'm going to take pics tomorrow and post them, probably in a new post and see how it goes.