Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2021, 07:08 PM   #1

Vintage Kin Owner
Grey County , Ontario
Smile 1973 25' Travelux

Hello everyone! I thought I'd get registered and post here because I haven't seen much anywhere else on Travelux trailers. Hope it's ok to join the community even though it's not an Airstream!

I recently acquired a 1973 25' Travelux for a steal (a few hundred $$ and it was up to me to remove it from its spot), and plan on doing a full restoration/modernization on her. She was parked beside a row of cedar trees for the better part of 30 years and even though she was blocked off the ground, sinkage did occur over time and the tongue was embedded in the ground. The H78-14 tires pretty much rotted out on the sun side and the shade side wheels were seized up. There was also no way to access the hitch to spin it out of place so I hired a 4wd forklift to get it out. Due to all the rain we've had this autumn the forklift got very stuck and had to hire a tractor to pull the forklift out! On top of this the forklift did some damage to the underbody skin, but it would have needed replacing anyway. Afterward, I hired a backhoe to pull it out into a serviceable area. I spent a few hours over two weekends getting new tires put on to replace the rotted ones and disassembling the wheel hubs to remove the seized brakes on the other side. Only then was I able to tow it home.

So, I've named her Ruby. I couldn't find the paper pasted in any of the cupboards that give specific information on the trailer but was able to find a tag riveted to the body with the date of manufacture as well as some other numbers. I also couldn't find any indication of a proper VIN or what the other numbers are supposed to indicate, but they conveniently add up to 17 digits so I am hoping I can just use that when I register it. If anyone can offer any extra advice on this, I am in Ontario, Canada.

Anyway, here are some photos:

Its mostly original location. This is after we attempted to pull it away from the trees with a forklift.

The ground was a bit too soft for said forklift. Oops!

No play to move the backend, a cedar tree has made its home right against the bumper

Not much give on the front end either. There was a chicken coop built right next to it.

Opposing view of Ruby after the forklift had pulled her away from the trees a bit

Backhoe to the rescue to pull her out of the previous owner's backyard. Sure did make a mess of things, but I was assured that come spring they were planning on doing some grading and yardwork anyway now that the trailer was out of the way.

Had the backhoe pull her out to a spot where I could sort out the wheel situation.

Port side where after being pulled out by the backhoe it was discovered the wheels were completely seized.

Removed the wheel hubs and disassembled the brakes. Seemed to do the trick to get the wheels turning again!

Backing her down the laneway to her temporary home while she's being renovated.

This is where she shall remain until she's restored. I guess time will tell how long it will take!

First step will be to gut the interior and pull up the floor. Get all that old insulation out, sandblast/coat the frame and replace most of the underside aluminum skin that various critters have likely made a home into over the past 30 years or so.

Here's the label affixed to the body. It's all I really have to go off of for information on this trailer.

So, yeah. That is that for now! I hope to post progress pics as I go along.
RubyTravelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Congratulations on your Travelux. I find the history of the “vintage kins” interesting. Start a thread on your renovation. I would like to see the construction similarities. Good luck on your reno.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
That is a very interesting trailer in original condition and a great size. What makes it even more interesting now is your extraction process.

I wonder if you can install Dexter axles and brakes.

I am looking forward to following your restoration.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #4
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Wow, congratulations on your aquisition. Won't Ruby be lovely when she is all done. I look forward to following and good job on posting the pics.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
sault ste marie , Ontario
axles and brakes

if your trailer has the axles and kelsey hayes brakes, keep in mind that replacement drums and hubs have proven impossible for me to find. my 69 travelux needs 1 drum/hub assembly replaced.
the issue is the vintage hub used a larger inboard bearing than todays hubs and spindles, even though the inboard seal is the exact same part.
if, by any chance, you decide to replace axles and brakes i would be very interested in your old ones for spares.
i live in the Sault area but travel south to see grand kids occasionally and can haul parts back north.
check out the postings in vintage kin forum from "traveluxkid" to see cool info on these well built old trailers.
travelux1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Apple Valley , UT
Would like to know where this went?
76streaker is offline   Reply With Quote