Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Olympia , Washington
1972 Silver Streak Continental aka My Quarter Life Crisis

Behold! The craziest decision I've ever made! This is my first TT to own outright (I've borrowed friends and family's) and I'm eager to get to work fixing it up for full-time use.

I purchased this 28' babe midway through the PO's restoration. He has new sub-floor, bamboo flooring, skylights, pex water lines, hot water system, fridge, sink fixtures, toilet, and tires.
The oven and stove work, but need some serious cleaning. The stove may come out altogether if I can find a better alternative later on.
A wall leak in the front right corner (probably due to the awning brackets, judging by its location) necessitates replacing some of the new bamboo and taking out the wall paneling and replacing insulation.

My most pressing concerns are replacing the ruptured holding tank and identifying/repairing a few exterior oddities. There are quite a few spots on the gold where someone apparently began polishing/de-anodizing and gave up. Additionally, the original owners removed the antenna and bumper with no apparent concern re: replacement.
The trip home over Snoqualmie Pass (and its lovely post-winter roads) also left me with a nice belly hole around my drain valve, leaving a bit of the insulation exposed. It's nothing a quick seal won't fix, but still irksome.

I was hoping someone could help me understand what my best holding tank options are and what exactly the black spotting is around my furnace. It does come off with a little de-rust product and elbow grease (I'm using WD-40 rust release) but this stuff is really on there good.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and in the meantime I'm studying other SS redos posted here.
Thanks in advance and wish me luck on this bonkers endeavor!

Eli
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spotting.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	283277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Tank Split.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	283278  

Name:	antenna holes.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	283279   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	283280  

AirforaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Olympia , Washington
The work begins!

Finally got the Streak level enough to get to work properly! A much more thorough cleaning + removing an awning that hadn't been opened in close to a decade. The poor thing was hanging by threads, pieces were rotting off as we unfurled and the whole thing nearly came down on our heads.

I'll have more photos as I tear out the rotted wood wall panel and figure out precisely where my window seal has failed.

Still excited!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Level up!.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	283531  
Old 04-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Olympia , Washington
In~sulation, Insulation is making me wait, Keeping me waiting~

Making progress!
I knew there was a leak somewhere around the right front window, but I had no idea how LONG that leak had been there! Apparently the original owners had opted to slop up the outside with enough sealant to choke Hoover Dam and call it a day. Unfortunately, this meant the screws/wood/insulation was trapped inside with several days' worth of leak water.
Many of the screws were so rusted they're impossible to remove. I'd taken to dousing the whole spot with WD-40 and pulling them off as gently as possible to avoid damage to the aluminum (none so far!)
There also appear to be signs of burning? None of the insulation was singed, but several pieces of the wood look especially crispy. Can mega-rust do that?

Don't even get me started on the outlets in that part of the wall. Some bozo decided to wrap the insulation around the grounding wire to secure it in order to get up around the window.
Here's hoping today moves a little more quickly. I'm planning to remove the vinyl ceiling, reseal my windows, and start adding in the bubble foil on the right side. I'm holding off on ripping out the leftmost wall, as I want to be comfortable handling the material before I go gutting the living room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0896.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	283625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0897.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	283626  

Name:	IMG_0900.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	283627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0901.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	283628  

Old 04-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Woodland , California
Congratulations. For the hole in my tank, I used ABS cement to dissolve some extra ABS I ground up from a spare pipe. Clean the area, then clean with acetone, apply ABS cement liberally, place some fiberglass screen cut to size over the hole, apply more cement. Let dry overnight, apply another layer of cement. I did 2 layers of fiberglass screen also. If the hole is big you can get a piece of abs that covers the whole and basically cement it in place.

Got this all from a video on YouTube. The guy actually injects acetone and abs into the tank but for my hole it wasn't feasible. Tank holds now. Of course if your tank isnt abs this doesn't help, but in that case you can just weld it.

If your hole is a crack, first drill a while at each end of the crack. This prevents the crack from growing.
basalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Olympia , Washington
Too fast, too furious

So much has been happening, I feel like I lie down in bed, blink, and then I'm back up to bury my head in this project!
I start a new job in a week, too, so on top of everything there's a new time crunch to finish the really heavy stuff.

Good news is I was able to get both layers of insulation down and it's onto the woodwork (yikes yikes yikes!) My carpentry skills are rusty (but not my tools, thankfully!) I've decided to go with a birch replacement to the rotted wood panels. Still debating whether or not to stain or veneer, since the grain on the pieces I picked up is particularly nice.
Please forgive my clumsy wire handling in the photos. Everything was properly separated and secured before the Roxul layer was applied.

Also managed to rescreen the windows and replaced the screen door to boot! It's so much nicer working inside when there's a proper breeze coming through.

Basalt,
Thanks for the tips on the tank! Unfortunately mine is the original stainless and not ABS, so patching is out. I have to really pop the thing out and take a good look at it before I decide whether welding is even an option. As far as I know, there's only the one split. However, I'm torn as to whether or not I want to replace the whole thing with a much more space-conscious plastic (thereby giving me more room for storage.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0928.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	284171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0929.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	284172  

Name:	IMG_0926.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	284173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0934.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	284174  

Old 06-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Found your thread this morning. You got a lot done in the first two weeks, but we haven't heard from you in a while. You got such a great start. Wondering how she looks now?
CC
PS yes old rotted wood can look like it has been burned. I've seen it when repairing a rotted wall in a vintage trailer.
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote