Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
TCwheels's Avatar

 
2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 594
Images: 4
1949 Vagabond...wish I had a place for it!

This trailer is practically around the corner from me. It's been outside for three years after many years in a barn and the current owner didn't realize the extent of the interior water damage. The skin is nice and the interior is 99% intact. I hate to see it sit there and deteriorate further.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1450067678.825641.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	253841
__________________
"Don't let perfect be the enemy of better."
TCwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,468
Nice old girl. How long is it?
__________________
lewster
Solar Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
Victron Solar Components and Inverters, Zamp Solar Panels, LiFeBlue and Battle Born Lithium Batteries, Lifeline AGM Batteries
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
TCwheels's Avatar

 
2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 594
Images: 4
Lew - As best I could measure without a tape it's 26 or 27. Interestingly, NO toilet or shower and I think that is the original configuration. The two closets are too small to have contained a head and they both still have original rods in place...I guess this length was probably a short trailer for Vagabond based on the other survivors one can find. It still has a huge open area in front for the coach and dining table! The shorter length does make it more towable than those long, long trailers but not being self-contained would seem to limit its appeal, but maybe not in 1949.
__________________
"Don't let perfect be the enemy of better."
TCwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
prairieschooner's Avatar
 
1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 631
Very nice! how much are they asking?
__________________
Steve
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
Airline's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 262
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 2
vagabond

They didn't have toilets because it was illegal to transport human waste from state to state in the 1940s.
Here's a pic of my buddy's 1946 Vagabond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5839.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	253851  
__________________
1987 Avion 34X
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
Airline's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 262
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 2
and this restored one was at the vintage trailer show in palm springs 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0395.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	632.0 KB
ID:	253852  
__________________
1987 Avion 34X
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
TCwheels's Avatar

 
2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 594
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airline View Post
They didn't have toilets because it was illegal to transport human waste from state to state in the 1940s.
Here's a pic of my buddy's 1946 Vagabond.

Thanks airline, I didn't know that!
__________________
"Don't let perfect be the enemy of better."
TCwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 311
Opportunity knocks only once, Bro.

Ten years hence, will you be thinking with 20/20 hindsight - "shoulda, coulda, woulda."

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
TCwheels's Avatar

 
2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 594
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
Very nice! how much are they asking?

The owner wants $6k, but I think I may have dissuaded him from that amount given the need for someone to do entire rebuild based on the interior water damage...probably $3K to drive it home. No idea if it's worth that.
__________________
"Don't let perfect be the enemy of better."
TCwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
 
1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 329
These were designed and built to live in and not to pull all over the country as a camp trailer. Virtually all trailer parks had rest rooms and showers that the folks that lived in these would utilize .
When I was born my folks lived in a trailer about this size that had no toilet or shower, when they bought a new "New Moon" with a toilet and a shower ,to replace it , they thought they were in hog heaven .
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
59' Globester
 
twolanehwy's Avatar
 
1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 248
too many projects, not enough time, money...
cool trailer though.
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
FreshAir's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,328
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
This trailer is practically around the corner from me. It's been outside for three years after many years in a barn and the current owner didn't realize the extent of the interior water damage. The skin is nice and the interior is 99% intact. I hate to see it sit there and deteriorate further.
Attachment 253841
As a boy I lived for while in Boyne City, Mi......if I still lived there.....OH, I'm dreaming again.

Neil
__________________
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Avatar;
Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
TCwheels's Avatar

 
2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 594
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
As a boy I lived for while in Boyne City, Mi......if I still lived there.....OH, I'm dreaming again.

Neil

Neil - Boyne City is great! Young State Park is one of our favorite local camping spots!
__________________
"Don't let perfect be the enemy of better."
TCwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #14
Proud Owner Vintage SBB
 
'55 Airlight's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 165
Images: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Lew - As best I could measure without a tape it's 26 or 27. Interestingly, NO toilet or shower and I think that is the original configuration. The two closets are too small to have contained a head and they both still have original rods in place...I guess this length was probably a short trailer for Vagabond based on the other survivors one can find. It still has a huge open area in front for the coach and dining table! The shorter length does make it more towable than those long, long trailers but not being self-contained would seem to limit its appeal, but maybe not in 1949.
Vagabond Coach Mfg. Co. of New Hudson, Michigan made a helluva high quality trailer, built with a welded steel tubular frame onto which the aluminum is sheet metal screwed. I've owned several, including a '53 Vagabond 35' and a '53 Vagabond 41' -- however, the Vagabond model 19' is the holy grail, I believe. Recently (9/15) a nicely restored '52 Vagabond 19' went at auction for under $30K. <http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=AF15&ID=r0310>

(A 1949 Vagabond 262 was a park model; wouldn't be originally self contained.) More info on Vagabond trailers can be found here <http://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/doku.php?id=vagabond#years_built>

Michael

Here's a picture of my 1953 Vagabond 41'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vag 41' in a field.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	253886  
__________________
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #15
Full time Airstreamer
 
SCOTTinNJ's Avatar
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,359
41'!!!
__________________
@living.somewhere.yonder | Instagram
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
TCwheels's Avatar

 
2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 594
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post
Vagabond Coach Mfg. Co. of New Hudson, Michigan made a helluva high quality trailer, built with a welded steel tubular frame onto which the aluminum is sheet metal screwed. I've owned several, including a '53 Vagabond 35' and a '53 Vagabond 41' -- however, the Vagabond model 19' is the holy grail, I believe. Recently (9/15) a nicely restored '52 Vagabond 19' went at auction for under $30K. <http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=AF15&ID=r0310>



(A 1949 Vagabond 262 was a park model; wouldn't be originally self contained.) More info on Vagabond trailers can be found here <http://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/doku.php?id=vagabond#years_built>



Michael



Here's a picture of my 1953 Vagabond 41'

Thanks Michael! Fascinating info about Vagabond and thanks for the ID of my pic as a 262 park model. Your 41 footer is very cool! Wish someone rescue this one in TC before it rots completely.
__________________
"Don't let perfect be the enemy of better."
TCwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
FreshAir's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,328
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Neil - Boyne City is great! Young State Park is one of our favorite local camping spots!
I bet it is still great. I have great memories from my short stay, 1950 - 52. Then we moved to Ca....via Rte 66....towing a 26' trailer. I was 14.

Neil
Attached Images
  
__________________
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Avatar;
Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #18
New Member
 
1972 Argosy 20
FENNVILLE , MI
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 1
Dry Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post
Vagabond Coach Mfg. Co. of New Hudson, Michigan made a helluva high quality trailer, built with a welded steel tubular frame onto which the aluminum is sheet metal screwed. I've owned several, including a '53 Vagabond 35' and a '53 Vagabond 41' -- however, the Vagabond model 19' is the holy grail, I believe. Recently (9/15) a nicely restored '52 Vagabond 19' went at auction for under $30K. <http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=AF15&ID=r0310>

(A 1949 Vagabond 262 was a park model; wouldn't be originally self contained.) More info on Vagabond trailers can be found here <http://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/doku.php?id=vagabond#years_built>

Michael

Here's a picture of my 1953 Vagabond 41'
Sweet 41 Footer! Do you happen to know the approximate dry-weight of it?
Vagavagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1949


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1949 32' Vagabond nanh Airstream Classifieds 0 07-02-2015 01:38 PM
1949 Vintage Vagabond - from Airstream guy's collection eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 07-22-2011 11:30 AM
1949 Vintage Vagabond 34 foot from Airstream Collector eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 1 02-11-2011 10:57 AM
The one I wish I had… garthbf Our Community 25 07-16-2007 08:32 AM
Wish I had about $4,000 I could spare right now... bake315 Our Community 5 03-24-2005 06:25 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.