Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
1949 Curtis Wright Clipper

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum. I'm not selling the trailer so I didn't put it in the classifieds. Just thought it was too interesting to not pass along:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/rvs/187068907.html
Vintage 1949 22 foot Clipper. The skin is in good condition with some dents and the frame is solid. The windows are in good condition. This trailer has all of the interior components removed. Original aluminum cabinets are still in place. Some dry rot in the floor. Some aluminum on the underbelly which needs replacing.
This item is available for bidding on E-bay, item #120014006726

What's with the interior, looks like aluminum shingles?

Name:   clipper2.jpg
Views: 3198
Size:  12.6 KB

Name:   clipper1.jpg
Views: 2818
Size:  13.9 KB

Name:   clipper4.jpg
Views: 2654
Size:  10.7 KB

Name:   clipper3.jpg
Views: 2886
Size:  12.1 KB
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I saw this on Ebay earlier. Has potential. Interesting choice of cement block on the interior wall covering though. Just how thick are they try to portray the walls to be?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:29 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
1949 Curtis Wright, how many made?

I just acquired a Curtis Wright, and by no means am I an aficionado when it comes to the history of the Curtis Wright. I have an interest in obtaining such facts, and have read what is available on the internet with general searches.

I would really like to know the Model #, and serial number of that Curtis Wright. Curtis Wright Model 5's were built in 1947-June 1949. If it is indeed a 1949, the serial number may give us a clue to how many were produced. My 1947, serial is 8060.

...snip...In June 1949, three individuals, Kenny Neptune, Frank Pollito and "Pat" Patterson, who had met each other while working for Douglas Aircraft, acquired the trailer business from Mr. Wright and began producing trailers under the Silver Streak name in south El Monte California -which it continued into the 1970's as a separate company.
...snip... http://www.vintageairstream.com/FAQ/FAQ_1.html

To help determine how rare these trailers are, can anyone determine how many Curtis Wrights were made?

How many different models were created? I know there is a Model 2, and Model 5.

How many Model 5's were made during Wally Byams employement with Curtis Wright?

How many were made after Wally Byam left Curtis Wright to start Airstream Inc.?

Cliff
cuyeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
What's with the interior, looks like aluminum shingles?

I looked at an Airstream many years ago (through the windows) that had wall covering like this in the dinette area. It was linoleum glued to the wall. The moment we saw that we figured any other work the owner had done to the trailer was, well, not what we'd like and we did not go back for a second look. An acquired taste I guess and I never thought I'd see another.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I luv the look of the front end.

Reminds me of the 63 Corvette coupe. (split rear window).

Very unique!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
I am pretty new to Airstreams and came across this:
Tin Can Classifieds - 1949 Curtis Wright "Clipper" - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Would someone care to comment on the description given there.
Since I am in PA this would involve considerable transportation cost.
Thanks

Barry
PoconoAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
looks very cool. there isn't any description about the condition of the trailer but judging by the price, you should only count on getting a shell (if you get anything inside it could be a bonus, but given the year, probably not).

i would say it's definately a "project" trailer which could mean lifting off the shell and repairing the frame and completely rebuilding the subfloor and installing a new interior.

if you're new to airstreams, i'd be a little leary on recommending this trailer for you UNLESS you're looking for a many months to a year or more project and have 10K or more to spend (after the purchase price). it would be a great project to restore.

good luck!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Does the level of historic significance of this trailer justify the initial cost, transporting it across the country at a cost of probably $2000 and then the time and money restoring it?
PoconoAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoAir
Does the level of historic significance of this trailer justify the initial cost, transporting it across the country at a cost of probably $2000 and then the time and money restoring it?
that really is a personal decision. it's not based on dollar value or recouping money on the investment if you sell. or on historical significance for that matter.

with that said, forum members have paid upwards of 2k to transport smaller trailers across the country, usually trailers 19' or less because they are more desirable and harder to find.

it really comes down to whether you're willing to spend the time and money on this trailer or any other. if you're not sure, i'd recommend spending more time here and reading all about the trials and tribulations of airstream owners.

if it was restored, it would be the coolest trailer in your neighborhood.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
It looks as though it still has it's pipe frame which in most cases (not all) would need to be either strenghthened or replaced. Others on the forum can likely tell you more who have similar Airstream equivalents. Cuyeda had a thread going on the early Curtis Wright similar to this trailer a short while before Christmas if I remember correctly and had gathered up some information on his.

Keep us posted on what you find out.
Barry
Old 02-16-2007, 12:37 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
I tried the link provided by Poconoair, but was not working. Do you have pictures of the orginal posting on Tin Can Tourists? Perhaps Poconoair actually purchased it. I hope to start a registry on Curtis Wrights. If anyone knows other owners of these trailers, please pass along any contact info.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:15 AM   #12
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Very cool trailer. Only ever saw one in person. You would think that with the stone brick interior the frame has already be replaced!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyeda
I tried the link provided by Poconoair, but was not working. Do you have pictures of the orginal posting on Tin Can Tourists? Perhaps Poconoair actually purchased it. I hope to start a registry on Curtis Wrights. If anyone knows other owners of these trailers, please pass along any contact info.
I have passed your info off to my friend with the '47. His is partially assembled but sitting off to the side right now as he puts an airplane kit he purchased together. I guess flying is more important than camping? I need to have a serious chat with him '

Barry
Old 03-05-2007, 11:38 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Redwood Valley , Calif
Hi..I reciently bought a curtis wright and would like to get info and pictures on these. I am now studying all these posts. I think the one listed at the beginning of this thread is the other one the guy had that I bought mine from since he had two. Mine has front roof damage that need to be fixed. The one he has with the fake brick interior was slightly damaged in a roll. I did see that one in person and it is very clean with little deterioation. Mine is a little more in need of lower shell replacement in a few areas. I am intterested in knowing about the odd large taillights that were on some that were tear dropped shaped. I also am wondering where to get some windows. I think he took my windows and frames and also he took my large teardrop shaped taillights and the original heater.Do you hav any pics of totally original interior and interior lights? I can give you some pics of mine. I plan on doing a total restoration.
Mine is still listed on ebay
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Redwood Valley , Calif
Has anyone heard of RV Jalousie Louvered windows that could fit these old Curtis wrights? Am just studying it all now . Does anyone know how much that one was selling for? Am just curious. Maby the guy I bought it from frequents this forum possibly. Hi Jay..if your there. I really like this trailer.

Mark
Old 03-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Redwood Valley , Calif
Auctually maby that trailer is not the one he has . It seems his didn't have those dents but did have some damage on the left rear window from a roll over but was minor considering being rolled on it's side. Yea. . it isn't the same one but it did also have the fake brick interior and was more like a wrap around bed and lacked the double closet and kitchen and sink and lacked all the upper pantry shelves and wood dresser in the one closet.It was more open like a lounge type trailer. It has a table where my one closet was by the door and was low open wrap around bed in front and back..no sink or stove or shelves.
The one I have was redone with newer style sink stove and pretty much was a interior makeover and not original and had a newer toilet in the rear that wasn't original. Did they even have a toilet?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:36 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Magpie,

I am in the starting process of renovating my CW 1947. So far, I think I have the oldest serial number that I could find floating around the internet. If someone has an earlier serial number than 8060, Please let me know. I would be curious. I followed the CW on the Ebay listing you bought with the front end damage.

My CW had the original interior, and since then has been gutted entirely to do a floor up restoration. I am at the critical planning stages, a blank canvas (so to speak). The hardest thing to design is where to put each of the needed wiring elements. Although, originally it did not come with a toilet, I am toying with the idea to possibly include one. My wife thinks it will have a higher resale value with a toilet (if I ever decide to sell it). Send me your contact info.

See my trailer here.

Email me direct here.

Cliff
Old 03-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
I love it! It looks like Ultraman! (Old Japanese B&W TV show.) Or Boba Fett!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:05 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Redwood Valley , Calif
the Curtis wright

Hi..it looks like yours is longer them mine . How long is it? I saved the pics you have. It is interesting to see what they all did back then. The 22 footer is way more compact and actually am not shure what the interior of a smaller 1949 was like when original. It seems the wood doors on the upper cabinets might of been the same in mine though. The eardrop taillights were not original I guess but maby were some speciality item. The ones on mine were really big ones on the back. You can see in the ebay photos ..the outline of where they were on the back. Here is the ebay number if you want to see:
Old 03-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
It's BAH-ack

FWIW the trailer that started this thread is back up for sale on the Seattle Craigslist and it looks like the owners have also listed it on eBay this time. Note the description this go round says the inside is painted a "castle motif", not a wall paper or floor covering. They didn't include pictures of the interior this time

-Bernie

==========
This 22 foot 1949 Vintage Curtis Wright Airstream is currently on auction at ebay until Sunday March 11, item number 120094706203.

This trailer will need full restoration and all systems checked and repaired to bring her back to her former glory. The outside of the trailer is in good shape with the exception of te dent and scratch on the rear left. The front and rear plexiglass are in good shape and I have seen no leaks. The side windowsare Jaloussie Louvered windows and I believe these were original in 1949. The frames and glass are also in good shape. The interior of the trailer is very good. The former owners painted the interior with a castle motif, which can be easily painted over if desired. The floor is solid, but for full restoration I would replace it. All the cabinets appear to be in good shape. The cushions in the front have been professionally re-covered and make into a double bed with storage below. The entry door and screen are in good shape and open and close well. No original keys. The tires are 700/15 6 ply and are in excellent shape with a good spare. Good clean Title. Tabs are good until Feb 2008.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags