Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
1948 Curtis Wright restoration update

It sure has been a while since I last updated my progress. Lots of progress has been made over the last few months. I finished riveting and patching all exterior panels. I put a "bra" on the front to hide the dents left by the previous owner. I really like the way it turned out and looks. The trailer got painted inside by Dave Rico Custom Restorations out in Perris. He did an excellent job painting all interior surfaces and parts. The color is a butter color. It should go well with the wood cabinet faces and a pretty patterned green commercial carpet that I will lay down. The color of the paint sure makes the trailer look bright and cheery. I took Melody Ranch's advice and put the Lexan windows in with butyl tape. I hesitated since I thought putty tape and butyl tape were the same. Once I realized the difference, I dove in. The windows came out fantastic. I finished with the insulation and wiring before paint. I just finished all of the electrical connections to the breaker box and installed the interior lights. They look sweet! I particularly like the re-purposed stove light. It came off of a 30's or 40's stove. I modified it by cutting off the goose neck to the light box. I then wired it with 120V and 12V. I cut a groove in the bottom of the box to let a beautiful piece of stained glass slide in to cover the lights inside. With a little touch up paint to the nut and bolt heads surrounding the windows as well as the wire molds covering the wires in the closet, I should be done with the walls and lighting. Now it will be time to concentrate on the cabinets below and around the sink and stove as well as the back room cabinet below the back windows. All of the cabinet faces need new wood. Zinzer amber shellac with a light wipe of stain to dirty it up a bit should make them look very nice. I want to make permanent benches and a table for the trailer. There was only a table bracket on the wall when I bought the trailer. I have seen photos of benches in other Curtis Wrights so I know what I want to make. My wife sews almost on a daily basis, so I think I can have her make the curtains for the windows. I will go to downtown LA to find the right material. I must also reupholster the tilt beds that I bought from John in Redondo. I could just cover them but I have a feeling that they might have an old smell to them. After finishing the woodwork, beds, and carpet, I have a few things to do on the outside. The bumper needs painting as does the center tube. I also want to get it polished. That, I think, will be the final job. Overall, this project is going well but very slowly. I have a few weeks off for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I think I might be able to accomplish most of my new goals. Here are a few pictures of the final results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141109_145355.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	226159   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141109_145520.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	226160  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141109_144927.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	226161   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141109_150334.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	226162  

chris hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Looks good!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
All I can say is, "WOW!!!"

You are doing a fantastic job on your trailer and it looks great!

Thanks for the update!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
You've done a great job. Drastic improvements since I last saw it.
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1963 16' Bambi
1947 22' Liner
Hillpoint , Wisconsin
That looks fantastic.
Sprouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
It sure is going to be a beauty when you’re done, Chris. Something to be proud of, indeed!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
San Marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
georgeous
kevinkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
At the risk of sounding redundant, she's a beaut! Fantastic work.
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
Thanks for all the kind words! I have continued working on the CW this week and will continue all next week. I have finished all of the electrical! Woohoo! The plumbing for the sink will be finished today and the shelves and counter top should be done today as well. All of the gas lines to the stove and heater are in and functional. No leaks! That should pretty much finish up the front interior of the trailer. The aluminum cabinet doors are still in need of a little TLC. I will give them the satin look with sand paper and steel wool. I will begin on the birch cabinet faces for the whole trailer next week. Zinzer amber is my choice for the finish. It goes well with the color of the trailer. I still need to work on the tilt beds that I bought from John (PLVMB). They need to be reupholstered and restored. I will go to downtown LA to the garment district to find material for them as well as curtain material. This is where it gets fun! All of the unglamorous work inside and underneath has been hard work that only I know about. I did it all as well as I could. Do it clean and do it right. It took way more time to do it that way but, in the end, it feels good to look at the project and feel confident about the outcome knowing there is quality work hiding in the guts of this trailer. I kept the trailer original. The modern upgrades are few. I put a 12 volt system in for lighting. OK. That's about it for upgrades. Wally Byam designed this trailer and was built to be light weight. Why mess with his wisdom and the knowledge of the expert trailer builders of the day? They did it right then and I tried to make it still right today. With all the small dings and dents and other signs of "history", the patina in and on this trailer tell quite a story. I can't wait to tow this trailer to the previous owner (old lady in her 80's) and give her a tour. I hope to sit down with her at the table with a Melmac cup full of joe and talk about this trailer and her trips. Should be swell! I will be posting pictures of the finished kitchen area today or tomorrow. Chris
chris hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
I am following your thread with interest and for inspiration. I have 51 SS Clipper and find your work to be outstanding. My hope is to do as well with mine. Keep up the good work, it is going to be a beautiful trailer when you finish.
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags