Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Compare with this 1932 Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Here is some cool info on the Aeroflite. Does anyone know this Frederick C. Hoffman, and did he have any connection to Airstream. He was building these in a hangar right next to Wally.
Rob,

Did you buy the Aeroflite way back when? It's my very favorite aluminum trailer. Just very very cool. I've always wondered if there was a closer connection between Hoffman and Wally.

Carol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1932_Airstream_013104.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	93700  
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1960 Caravel
Bend , Oregon
That AeroFlite looks suspisiously like #101X on www.aeroflite.com which now belongs to Kevin, the author of the site. The setting sure looks the same.
ST131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Bloomington , Illinois
Aero Flite #1078 and 101X

Hello Carol,

Rob did buy the Aero Flite when he found it, and he listed it on eBay with a very honest description. I was crazy enough for one that I bought it. I knew that it needed a frame replacement (the frame is aluminum), but, like you, I thought the Aero Flite was very, very cool. The trailer that Rob located, and which he sold to me bears serial number 1078, which means that it was the 78th trailer built.

As I began to research the brand, I put together a discussion group, back when MSN hosted groups, and through that site I was contacted by an individual who was looking for someone to buy an Aero Flite with serial number 101X. I was fortunate enough to buy it. When I went to pick it up, after we had struck the deal, the seller presented me with all the original ownership papers, including a signed and notarized bill of sale from Vanderbilt to Wally Byam and Byam to the next owner (who was an interesting character, too). I got lucky and located the original company documents, which had not seen the light of day in almost 50 years, and along with a lot of other research I was able to trace the company to the early days of aviation.

Frederick C. Hoffman was the designer of the trailer. He also designed the Great Western - which is actually much more rare than Aero Flite. I was able to identify several of Hoffman's patents for other products and processes that he developed while working for Lockheed Aircraft. He was truly masterful, in that he could design both functionally pleasing and aethestically pleasing creations. In all the research that I conducted, the one disappointment that I had was that I could never find much about Hoffman. And, I think he was the true genious, as he was the designer.

Most people when they look at the Aero Flite see "futuristic." My neighbor swears that I have George Jetson's trailer in my garage. A friend of mine, who is a vintage trailer nut and who has the 20th Aero Flite built, pointed out to me that he feels the trailer was actually an old design when it was introduced in December 1945. Looking back to the cars and trucks, and other designs, of the late 1930's - I have to agree with him. The trailer has an "Airflow" look to it. I think Hoffman actually designed the trailer (and the Great Western) before WWII. When J. Gordon Hussey was looking for a trailer to build to try to keep his aircraft repair company afloat after the war contracts ended, he bought Hoffman's design. Hoffman was an employee of Aero Services at the time, according to company records.

I have never before seen the photograph which you posted, Carol, which is labeled a 1932 Airstream. The similarities between it and Aero Flite 101X are very noticable, aren't they?

I do not know enough about Wally Byam's history to begin to speculate on whether he might have known Hoffman and interacted with him, and particularly as early as the early 30's. Some day, I plan to devote more time (and some money) to researching Hoffman. I need to spend some time updating my website, too...

Kevin Reabe
www.aeroflitetrailers.com
kevinreabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Kevin, Thanks for the updates on this trailer. It is very unique. Did you finish your restoration?
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinreabe View Post
I have never before seen the photograph which you posted, Carol, which is labeled a 1932 Airstream. The similarities between it and Aero Flite 101X are very noticable, aren't they?

I do not know enough about Wally Byam's history to begin to speculate on whether he might have known Hoffman and interacted with him, and particularly as early as the early 30's. Some day, I plan to devote more time (and some money) to researching Hoffman. I need to spend some time updating my website, too...

Kevin Reabe
www.aeroflitetrailers.com
Thanks for chiming in Kevin. Of course I've seen photos of both your trailers on the MSN group site. I'm the Carol that belonged to it and your Vintage Spartan site. I still have my Manor and participate on the Yahoo group.

The photo I posted came from Juergen's web site;
1932 Airstream

It's also part of an article about the "Silver Cloud" Airstream on this site:
36SilverCloud
Along with phtos of a 1936 Silver Cloud.

And here is a 1938:
38SilverCloud

All these folks were working in the same area and it doesn't surprise me that the trailers have a similar look. Just wish I knew more.

Good to hear from you,
Carol
Old 01-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
And I still get ragged on

And Kevin, to this day, Colin continues to rag on me on the VAP for selling it. I have to agree.. .WAY cool LINES and way cool TRAILERS!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Aluminum or magnesium frame?

Rob and Kevin:

I thought your (serially-owned) Aero Flite had a magnesium frame instead of an aluminum frame and that the frame was disintegrating by turning to powder. Or am I mixing it up with a different trailer from a few years ago (excluding X251)?
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Magneseium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Rob and Kevin:

I thought your (serially-owned) Aero Flite had a magnesium frame instead of an aluminum frame and that the frame was disintegrating by turning to powder. Or am I mixing it up with a different trailer from a few years ago (excluding X251)?
Yes, I too thought they were magnesium. I have original brochures digitally somewhere I think...

I'll have to go look

All I know is that one side was powder if you reached up and grabbed it.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
According to the information on Kevin's web site the frames were aluminum, but the floors could have been either aluminum, magnesium, or both (?).

"The main frame rails of the trailer are made of aluminum I-beam, approximately 4 inch high by 2 inch wide, extending from the front edge of the body to the rear of the body, where the tail of the trailer begins to cantilever."

"The cross members and rails are also riveted to the floor, which is made of aluminum and/or magnesium."

Don't know about the specifics of #1078 except it was very very corroded.
Carol
Old 01-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Bloomington , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
Kevin, Thanks for the updates on this trailer. It is very unique. Did you finish your restoration?
Hello Kevin,

The restoration is on-going. I make a little bit of progresss every year. I have been going to grad school, so that has slowed me down a bit. I finish in May, so that should allow me to focus again on the trailers. Thanks

Kevin
Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Bloomington , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
Thanks for chiming in Kevin. Of course I've seen photos of both your trailers on the MSN group site. I'm the Carol that belonged to it and your Vintage Spartan site. I still have my Manor and participate on the Yahoo group.

The photo I posted came from Juergen's web site;
1932 Airstream

It's also part of an article about the "Silver Cloud" Airstream on this site:
36SilverCloud
Along with phtos of a 1936 Silver Cloud.

And here is a 1938:
38SilverCloud

All these folks were working in the same area and it doesn't surprise me that the trailers have a similar look. Just wish I knew more.

Good to hear from you,
Carol
Hi Carol,
I remember you. Sorry - I don't do so well with recognizing "screen names". Thanks for the information on the Silver Cloud product.

Kevin
Old 01-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Bloomington , Illinois
1948 Aero Flite frame = aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Rob and Kevin:

Hello Fred and Rob,

The frame of the 1948 Aero Flite was constructed of aluminum. I tested a piece of the old frame rail with white vinegar and with a torch and it responded as aluminum would respond. I have an old specifications sheet for a 1948 Aero Flite and they described the frame as all aluminum. The weight was also advertised at 2400 pounds.

I have seen earlier advertising (1946) in which the weight was listed as 1860 pounds. I have wondered if they originally used some magnesium and switched to aluminum as they got further into production (and money became tight). I have on my mental list of things to do to check the prototype trailer for magnesium. It wouldn't surprise me if it was used sparingly, but enough so that in advertising they could mention the use of magnesium.

Rob, I'm still very happy that I purchased the trailer from you. It was more heavily corroded than either of us could have known or guessed, but I have enjoyed working on it and learning about the company that produced it.

Kevin
Old 01-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Rob and Kevin:

Thanks for the responses. I'll update my memory.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #34

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Waxhaw , North Carolina
this Spartan has a ghost from the Navy.... its in both pictures. see it?
BeeCharmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags