Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
ogden , Utah
1946 Spartan in Utah

OK got some photos today so I'll start this thread.....
I have a ton of photos PO sent today.
Attached Images

pullswitha40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
ogden , Utah
As of right now the trailer is 100 miles away, PO left it at the home of a trailer mechanic she knows....seems there is an issue with the axle eating bearings.

The mechanic is willing to replace the whole axle system at cost plus $100 labor.

Seems more than fair IMHO

So I'll have to wait a few weeks to get it home.

Right now I'm doing lots of research and making a list.

Plans call for restored exterior, polished most likely.

Interior I want to update for boondocking, but want it to be nice....I love the original wood treatments with rounded corners on cabinets.

We'd like a full kitchen/galley 3 way frig, convection microwave, deep sink.

The wife and I are used to a 13' egg with portapotty so things can be kept simple.....not sure if we may leave the bath out all together or not......she did say she likes the outside showers.

I'm up to any and all suggestions at this time.

Once I get it home I will strip put the rest of the interior, pull the floors and see if the body has to come off or not.......really hope not.

I'm just learning about these aluminum trailers with the electrolysis and corrosion issues.....so any pointers there would be greatly appreciated.

Time will tell right.....for now we are very excited to get started.

My first big project was a 40 Willys coupe many years ago and my brother thought I was crazy when I told him my favorite part of the project was while it was in the constructions stage and it could be anything I wanted at that point.......the dream was better than the reality that needed to be washed and waxed every time I drove it!!!

I hope I'm older and wiser today.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

looks pretty straight, no sag at all .
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Don't see a lot of the 1946 Spartans (the first year of regular production), but I have one also. Mine is the 25' Manor. Is any of the mahogany woodwork salvageable? This was the only year that mahogany was installed.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
ogden , Utah
Most of the walls were covered by paneling, so I have no idea what is under it all.....I did see some of the original panels.

I did not get anything not seen in the photos......and I think the PO held onto the lights.....not sure....it was late and cold the day I drove up north to look it over........the frame and shell were what grabbed my attention.

Doors worked well, closed very nice all the window frames were there, even all the lights were there and in good condition.

I was excited to see I had enough inside to get good patterns from.

The floor was covered poorly and I was not able to look under it to see what the original floor looks like....PO told me it was metal????

I did find the belt bumper thingy ma jig had corroded from rust dripping from the rear window frame.....guess I get to use my new brake building a new one.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
ogden , Utah
Today's progress

Decided on using a straight axle, this will give a little lift to the long trailer.

It has 16 tires right now so I can see if I need to put some 15s on it later....I plan to run wide white wall tires.

I'm replacing the whole brake system while I'm at it with electric....

I decided not to go with a torsion system because of the weight and cost.

One thing I have not discussed here is the rate of the axle.....I want to go with 5200#...my thought is that I'd rather have a bit of a cushion if a long trip results in a few extra rocks being collected.

I drove 18 wheelers "flatbed with side boxes" for 5 years and usually came home with a rock or two each week. We made a memory path from the front of our house to the back patio and then had two patios from all the rocks.....many were over 100#..I even used my tie down winch and straps a time or two to pull them up into the boxes.....kind of a game I played.........Lucy had nothing over me
Old 01-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullswitha40 View Post
Today's progress

Decided on using a straight axle, this will give a little lift to the long trailer.

It has 16 tires right now so I can see if I need to put some 15s on it later....I plan to run wide white wall tires.

I'm replacing the whole brake system while I'm at it with electric....

I decided not to go with a torsion system because of the weight and cost.

One thing I have not discussed here is the rate of the axle.....I want to go with 5200#...my thought is that I'd rather have a bit of a cushion if a long trip results in a few extra rocks being collected.

I drove 18 wheelers "flatbed with side boxes" for 5 years and usually came home with a rock or two each week. We made a memory path from the front of our house to the back patio and then had two patios from all the rocks.....many were over 100#..I even used my tie down winch and straps a time or two to pull them up into the boxes.....kind of a game I played.........Lucy had nothing over me
You got some SPLAINING to do
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
What is the gross weight rating of the trailer?
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
You got some SPLAINING to do

Danny, you wouldn't be the rock police would ya

As for weight....as I remember it was with in a few hundred pounds of the next lower rated axle and if I want to add micro wave, tv, batteries, solar, charger.....it just seems it could add up and also we may use the trailer for extended use a snow birds and who knows how much may find it's way into our lives on the road.

I'd like to hear any ones input.

I've been involved in a bit of conversation about frames and if they need to be flexible or not.

This is a Spartan, not AS....my way of thinking is the more stable the frame under the shell the less stress the shell will be subjected to.....I do not understand how flexing a shell could be good???

I will look at the frame once I get the trailer stripped out and the floor out.....I may box the frame near the spring mounts and out say 5 or 6 feet past the spring mounts to firm up the frame.

Maybe years of hotrodding old cars is showing up here, but it makes sense to me.