Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
The picture that worries me the most is the place to connect the 3" dump hose.
I have never seen a stock AS with a connection going straight down like that especially near where it will drag on the ground. I actually wonder if it still has a black tank, I know it didn't come with a gray tank from the factory. Possibly it was redone to add a gray tank?
The straight down sewer hose connection was standard for all Airstreams thru 1963. It is not hard to replace the original brass black tank valve with a modern Valterra valve and collector that allows a gray tank to be added. The parts to do so are readily available. Many have done it. The biggest issue is that this was on the curbside of Ohio built Airstreams until 1963, though California built Airstreams had it street side many years earlier.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
Hi there, clicked on your link, however cannot find what 1967 you are referring too. the link took me to a thread of many? I would love to see it.
Michelle, go to classified at the top of the page. Click on that and hit vintage and into the requested info. I looked at it and appears to be in great shape.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
San Antonio , Texas
The trailer is being "assessed" by an RV service shop. I hope to find out more about the tanks as well, however, did not see much other than photos I took, while laying on the ground....I actually didnt see how bad it was until I returned home and uploaded pics to computer....it was so bright outside, was difficult to see on site. Many questions, but what I've gathered by many of you wonderful people who responded here, added info and reached out privately....I understand this one is in rough shape, with much renovation ahead........decisions decisions.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Euless , Texas
Keeper yes, but...

I restored a 1970 Ambassador that was rough when I purchased it. I value anything that is original since was my restoration goal. You would have a MAJOR project if you owned that trailer. Personally, I would not pay that asking price because many dollars would be spent restoring it. Unless you are really into the work it would probably be better to get one already restored IMO
tx70amb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:43 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx70amb View Post
I restored a 1970 Ambassador that was rough when I purchased it. I value anything that is original since was my restoration goal. You would have a MAJOR project if you owned that trailer. Personally, I would not pay that asking price because many dollars would be spent restoring it. Unless you are really into the work it would probably be better to get one already restored IMO
Thank you< I agree, starting to believe this one may be more work than I can put in......sniffle sniffle......unless I can get it at a lower price.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #26
G-Ranch

1970 25' Tradewind
Smyrna , Georgia
Numbers questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
Hello I am curious about a 1970 Land Yacht Globetrotter I am looking into purchasing. I took pictures when I traveled to view it , and realized the VIN does not match what it should considering it is a 1970. Everything I see on the net states that the first digit should be and I , E or L. The one I looked at has a "B" as the first digit. Also read that anything prior to 1970 has 3 numbers as the last digits and after has 4 digits. this one has 3 digits indicating earlier than 1970. Can anyone explain this to me? I am attaching what I have seen it should be for a 1970
I am also curious about how much the trailer is worth. They are asking 13000 however I think it is very high. It is not remodeled, has some original appliances (not sure if works, etc), looks to have rot on the inside front panel, at floor and seating area. I know zero about airstreams, but have always admired and want to purchase one. I may be in over my head....can anyone give me insight?
Based on the number coding chart - look at the photos attached and help with your thoughts. Thank you. G-Ranch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65F28B90-5A78-4EF9-946D-B65DC7109A3B.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	375006   Click image for larger version

Name:	39E2EF17-5855-43B9-BD0D-4E236E9C0CAE.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	375007  

G-Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Ranch View Post
Based on the number coding chart - look at the photos attached and help with your thoughts. Thank you. G-Ranch
Your serial number "025D0J248" is on both plaques and decodes as:
0 = Land Yacht Trim Level
25 = 25' Trade Wind
D = Double Bed
0 = 1970 Model Year
J - Jackson Center Assembly Plant
248 = Production Sequence Number (the 248th 1970 25' built in Ohio)

"3-70" indicates it was built in March 1970.

"013011FJ" is somehow tied to the build of the trailer, but there is no known decoder for those numbers and letters.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Downers Grove , Illinois
Yeah there's a project there as some others have said. I bought a 1967 Safari 6 years ago for $12k that was partially restored and cleaned up by a retired carpenter. We had a good month or two of camping before discovering the rear end separation issue. Took to the factory at JC for repair and replacing the axle. Polish job on her 50th birth year and other things another $20k. No problem. I wanted to do it and was able to financially. Breaking down next year and adding AC to a vintage but...global warming and my wife and I have a few trips that are uncomfortable even in the upper Midwest. Wish I had pex plumbing lines as I am always chasing down a leak in patchwork system that probably wasn't winterized properly in one or more years. But she's great just got back from a week in the UP Michigan. We are the third owner. Hopefully this helps provide context and insight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200801_173810.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	602.3 KB
ID:	375014   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180625_180841.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	375015  

Name:	IMG_20140907_133354637_HDR.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	375016  
Happy.Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Downers Grove , Illinois
Oh and I justed replaced that carpet with marmoleum tile. Much better.
Happy.Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #30
The CriscoCan

1969 27' Overlander
Hamilton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I am not sure what the Special means. Over the years Airstream used the term Custom for inits that did not fit into the existing models. Perhaps Joe (club historian) will jump in with the answer.

As far as the price, Airstream values are very high right now. Condition is everything. If this trailer will require frame work, new floor and axles it is overpriced. If the trailer is ready to go camping and all the appliances are functional, the price is low.

If you can find someone to help evaluate the trailer, that would help.
We had a 1969 Overlander in much better condition, ready to camp, 85% original. Upgrade toilet, removed oven replaced with storage shelves, made new curtains for all windows and between galley and bedroom reupholstered gaucho's led's in all lights interior and exterior re wired entire DC system and replaced the inverter instead of original. Replaced all hinges and latches We sold for $14k 3 years ago ,Brinkman's are bad about breaking a washer inside, we replaced with stainless steel. I think unless you want to totally re do this one you should skip it, I think it is overpriced. If you don't mind a trip to central Texas, you should check out American Vintage Trailer near Gatesville, TX. Can also view on Facebook.
CriscoCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:02 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy.Camper View Post
Yeah there's a project there as some others have said. I bought a 1967 Safari 6 years ago for $12k that was partially restored and cleaned up by a retired carpenter. We had a good month or two of camping before discovering the rear end separation issue. Took to the factory at JC for repair and replacing the axle. Polish job on her 50th birth year and other things another $20k. No problem. I wanted to do it and was able to financially. Breaking down next year and adding AC to a vintage but...global warming and my wife and I have a few trips that are uncomfortable even in the upper Midwest. Wish I had pex plumbing lines as I am always chasing down a leak in patchwork system that probably wasn't winterized properly in one or more years. But she's great just got back from a week in the UP Michigan. We are the third owner. Hopefully this helps provide context and insight.
Wow, sounds like youve done quite a bit to get her to a condition.....Im still on the hunt! Thank you for your reply, I like to hear everyones experiences......
Old 08-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Ranch View Post
Yes, thank you so much I figured out why I was confused and have that all straightened out...thank you for your reply.....I appreciate it!