Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2024, 08:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
June 2024 Photo Contest

Hello all!
Have you ever been traveling along, blindly following Google Maps, and suddenly have this sinking feeling you have no idea where you are and is this going to get you to your destination (and this after your spouse has been asking you, “Do you know where you are going?” for the last 15 minutes)? Finally, you end up somewhere you shouldn’t be, and you are thinking “How the hell did we end up here?” We have had this happen to us frequently. Three memorable incidents are included in this post.

1. Heading back to Shawnee State Park after visiting Serpent Mound State Memorial, Google suggested we might enjoy a side trip to a hiking destination called Buzzard’s Roost. Always up for an adventure we decided to take the suggestion and followed the directions detailed to us by our navigation system. Fortunately, we were not towing our Airstream and unfortunately, I did not take a photo of the spot… where the gravel road led to the dirt road that led to a locked gate deep in the woods. We drove past rough looking abodes and rough looking people who stared at us as we drove by, obviously wondering what the hell we were doing there. When we got to the point where we came upon the locked gate and could drive no further, I turned to my spouse and said, “Shall we get out and hike to the spot where buzzard’s purportedly roost?”. She perfunctorily replied, “By all means…. If you want to get shot.” I decided retreat was the best course of action and backed up our vehicle until there was a place wide enough to turn around.

2. On another trip we parked the Airstream at a KOA outside of Chicago. While on a day excursion to the city to visit the Art Institute, our directions led us to an underground street system where we lost connection with our navigation. Having no idea where to go, we ended up at a dark dead-end beside a loading dock. Again, no picture. Eventually we were able to find our way out of the labyrinth and navigated successfully to the parking deck. We loved our visit to the museum and on the way out noticed a crowd gathering at Millennium Park across the street. To our surprise, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra was giving a free concert, their first public appearance since COVID. We promptly procured a picnic and sat down for a lovely concert. This is an example of when “How the hell did we end up here” proved to be quite positive!

3. Traveling home to Ohio from Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, CA, we decided to travel through lower Oregon due to prevalent wildfires in California. This took us along Oregon route 140 into Nevada. It was a long day of driving which included a trip up Doherty Slide (an 8% grade with a 1000 foot drop off and no guardrails). Our overnight destination was the Royal Peacock Opal Mine, where for a small fee you can mine for your own opals. Being on a tight schedule we opted to buy our opals from mine’s gift shop. The Royal Peacock offers 18 RV sites with hook-ups, and we were looking forward to tucking in for the night, but our speed was limited to 5-10 miles per hour for the last 10 miles due to a washboard dirt road that led us to our destination. However, our slow rate of speed allowed us to enjoy the nighttime desert wildlife. We were graced with a view of kangaroo rats, jack rabbits and a bobcat. We were relieved to finally reach our destination, only to find that the wash board road was not so kind to the contents of the Airstream. After some minor cleanup we were ready to hit the hay.

So, you may have deduced by now that the theme for this month is….

How the hell did we end up here?
Post your pictures, with or without your Airstream and add a caption or story. You can include places and activities that surprised you by their positive or negative outcomes as some of our best experiences have been plan B or even C. By the time we get to D we don’t care anymore😊. Let’s see where the open road takes us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240603_023041000_iOS.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	443948   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240602_224920704_iOS.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	443949  

Name:	20240602_224831839_iOS.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	443950   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240602_224634766_iOS.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	443951  

SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 07:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ok, here's one. We were heading west across northern AZ and hungry, getting hangry. Just looking for a spot to pull over and eat a sandwich. We came over a rise, saw a wide spot in the road, but barely noticed the rock. At first.

Old 06-03-2024, 12:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Ok, here's one. We were heading west across northern AZ and hungry, getting hangry. Just looking for a spot to pull over and eat a sandwich. We came over a rise, saw a wide spot in the road, but barely noticed the rock. At first.

Thanks Eubank - that's exactly what we are looking for! Great photo and story.

Glad you didn't hit the "rock" !
Old 06-04-2024, 04:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
The rock is Church Rock, and it's not as close as you might think; see link below. What you're seeing is an instance of telephoto compression, which makes the foreground and its background seem closer together.

Distance on Google maps:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/sqzaKy47KJ18hy1J6

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
Thanks Eubank - that's exactly what we are looking for! Great photo and story.

Glad you didn't hit the "rock" !
Old 06-05-2024, 06:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
A couple more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4448.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	485.2 KB
ID:	444018   Click image for larger version

Name:	44561225115_3aa11c5b0c_o.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	444019  

Old 06-07-2024, 06:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Wow! Where is that mountainside shot on the right from?

Lynn
Quote:
A couple more
Old 06-07-2024, 08:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Okay, I must confess. That is Doherty Slide on route 140, the road we traversed to get from Oregon to Nevada, but it’s a screen shot from Google Earth. As we made our way up at dusk, I kept looking to the right amazed at the valley below, but since I was driving my wife correctly told me to keep my eyes in the road! 😂
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	444111  
Old 06-07-2024, 09:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Gosh, I've been over that road a few times, guess I was more impressed by the views than the lack of guardrails. If you go again make sure you stop off at the Virgin Creek Campground to visit the bath house and pool. The Thousand Creek Gorge right next to it has some stunning views.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Virgin Valley Campground.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	829.2 KB
ID:	444113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thousand Creek1.jpg
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	444114  

Name:	Thousand Creek2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	444115  
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 09:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
I'll add a photo here, but only because it's a new area of picture-taking for me, namely, night photography. This was from 11:00 pm last week at Ghost Ranch (New Mexico). I was standing about 30 feet in front of the circle of Airstreams at the rally there. That fuzzy-looking stuff in the sky? Stars. Gazillions of them.

(If interested, you can see the Exif info on the shot on my Flickr page. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd reduce the exposure to 25 sec and hope for the best when "developing" the image.)

Lynn
Old 06-16-2024, 03:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
We got our Globetrotter in the spring of 2018 and decided to do a 6-week trip in the fall of that year. Our plan was to spend a week in Charleston, South Carolina and then go to North Myrtle Beach for a week as we like to shag dance and there was a big shag convention at that time. My wife and I met in Houston Texas so then we planned to go to Texas for the remaining four weeks.

We stayed at James Island County Park in Charleston and did a tour of downtown Charleston the first day. When we woke up the next day we heard we had to evacuate the park. There was a hurricane in the area and the governor closed down the entire coast of South Carolina and we had to leave. That meant we couldn’t stay in Charleston and we couldn’t go to North Myrtle Beach. No one knew where the hurricane was going to make landfall or what kind of destruction there would be from the hurricane. We decided we couldn’t just sit and wait around for two weeks in this area so we just headed west, not knowing where we would go and with no reservations.

At some point in the trip, we wanted to stop at Great Sand Dune‘s national park in Colorado and spend the night. There was one camp spot left open when we got there but this has been the only time in my life I have not been able to fit in my RV in a particular camp spot. Since we couldn’t stay there, we headed down the road and were going to find a place at the end of the day.

We ended up going up Monarch Pass in Colorado and found a national forest campground at the top, right off the main road. We always like national forest campgrounds, and this was no exception. That is, until later that night.

It never occurred to us that Monarch pass is at 11,000 feet. Our initial trip was to be in the sunny coast of South Carolina and the sunny hot weather of Texas. All we had were clothes for that type of weather. As the sun went down. It occurred to us that it was going to get cold that night. I found out real quick that my AGM batteries would not make it through the night, and we also found out that we didn’t have any heavy blankets. We had summer pajamas, and no real way to keep warm.

During the middle of the night, we were shivering so bad we put on every piece of clothing we could find and barely made it through the night. We have never been that cold, camping before, including tent camping. It got down to 27° that night so it would have been 34-37 inside with no heavy blankets or clothes.

We’ve been married 43 years, camped in all sorts of situations and usually are prepared for anything that pops up. This one caught us by surprise as in previous RVs we had a furnace would run all night on the batteries that came with it with no problem.

It took us a while, but we finally found flannel pajamas on our trip and heavier clothing to get us through any situation like this for the remainder of the trip. We now travel with feather blankets / flannel PJ’s / fleeces for any trip, no matter the destination.

Another funny part of the story is that we had hurricanes bother us two more times on the trip.

At the Grand Canyon there was a hurricane that came from the west. That gave us a day at the Grand Canyon when you couldn’t see anything. If that was your only day at the Grand Canyon, you were out of luck for any viewings but we were there for 4-5 nights. Then, on the way back home there was another hurricane on the East Coast that was going to affect our area and we had to time our drive so that we arrived at home three or four hours after hurricane left the area.

In spite of all this, it was one of the best trips we’ve ever had. Over 6,500 miles we hit Santa Fe, Taos, Black Hills of the Gunnison, Moab area, Bryce Canyon, North rim of the Grand Canyon, South rim of the Grand Canyon. All without advance reservations and flying by the seat of our pants. Even though the hurricanes were bad. The rain from all of them made me aware that I had the front and separation issue as we had a water intrusion from the front. Without this trip, I may not have known I had the issue as early on as I did.

This trip gave us confidence to go on a 7-week trip to Newfoundland without advanced reservations, as well as renting an RV in New Zealand for 31 days with only 3 to 4 reservations. These have been 3 of our best trips over many years.

Sometimes it’s just better to hit the road and see where the hell you end up. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Pictures;
Monarch Pass National Forest
Black Hills of the Gunnison Nat'l Park (50 Amp power)
Horsethieves BLM, Moab
N rim of Grand Canyon Nat'l forest
S rim of the Grand Canyon (stayed at Desert View and Trailer Village)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2663.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	444398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6159.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	444399  

Name:	IMG_6200.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	444400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2888.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	444401  

Name:	IMG_2971.jpg
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	444402  
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 09:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusNW View Post
Gosh, I've been over that road a few times, guess I was more impressed by the views than the lack of guardrails. If you go again make sure you stop off at the Virgin Creek Campground to visit the bath house and pool. The Thousand Creek Gorge right next to it has some stunning views.

Steve
Those are great! Seeing your photos and knowing we drove right past that, it kind of makes me wish we had gotten lost at that point.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
We got our Globetrotter in the spring of 2018 and decided to do a 6-week trip in the fall of that year. Our plan was to spend a week in Charleston, South Carolina and then go to North Myrtle Beach for a week as we like to shag dance and there was a big shag convention at that time. My wife and I met in Houston Texas so then we planned to go to Texas for the remaining four weeks.

We stayed at James Island County Park in Charleston and did a tour of downtown Charleston the first day. When we woke up the next day we heard we had to evacuate the park. There was a hurricane in the area and the governor closed down the entire coast of South Carolina and we had to leave. That meant we couldn’t stay in Charleston and we couldn’t go to North Myrtle Beach. No one knew where the hurricane was going to make landfall or what kind of destruction there would be from the hurricane. We decided we couldn’t just sit and wait around for two weeks in this area so we just headed west, not knowing where we would go and with no reservations.

At some point in the trip, we wanted to stop at Great Sand Dune‘s national park in Colorado and spend the night. There was one camp spot left open when we got there but this has been the only time in my life I have not been able to fit in my RV in a particular camp spot. Since we couldn’t stay there, we headed down the road and were going to find a place at the end of the day.

We ended up going up Monarch Pass in Colorado and found a national forest campground at the top, right off the main road. We always like national forest campgrounds, and this was no exception. That is, until later that night.

It never occurred to us that Monarch pass is at 11,000 feet. Our initial trip was to be in the sunny coast of South Carolina and the sunny hot weather of Texas. All we had were clothes for that type of weather. As the sun went down. It occurred to us that it was going to get cold that night. I found out real quick that my AGM batteries would not make it through the night, and we also found out that we didn’t have any heavy blankets. We had summer pajamas, and no real way to keep warm.

During the middle of the night, we were shivering so bad we put on every piece of clothing we could find and barely made it through the night. We have never been that cold, camping before, including tent camping. It got down to 27° that night so it would have been 34-37 inside with no heavy blankets or clothes.

We’ve been married 43 years, camped in all sorts of situations and usually are prepared for anything that pops up. This one caught us by surprise as in previous RVs we had a furnace would run all night on the batteries that came with it with no problem.

It took us a while, but we finally found flannel pajamas on our trip and heavier clothing to get us through any situation like this for the remainder of the trip. We now travel with feather blankets / flannel PJ’s / fleeces for any trip, no matter the destination.

Another funny part of the story is that we had hurricanes bother us two more times on the trip.

At the Grand Canyon there was a hurricane that came from the west. That gave us a day at the Grand Canyon when you couldn’t see anything. If that was your only day at the Grand Canyon, you were out of luck for any viewings but we were there for 4-5 nights. Then, on the way back home there was another hurricane on the East Coast that was going to affect our area and we had to time our drive so that we arrived at home three or four hours after hurricane left the area.

In spite of all this, it was one of the best trips we’ve ever had. Over 6,500 miles we hit Santa Fe, Taos, Black Hills of the Gunnison, Moab area, Bryce Canyon, North rim of the Grand Canyon, South rim of the Grand Canyon. All without advance reservations and flying by the seat of our pants. Even though the hurricanes were bad. The rain from all of them made me aware that I had the front and separation issue as we had a water intrusion from the front. Without this trip, I may not have known I had the issue as early on as I did.

This trip gave us confidence to go on a 7-week trip to Newfoundland without advanced reservations, as well as renting an RV in New Zealand for 31 days with only 3 to 4 reservations. These have been 3 of our best trips over many years.

Sometimes it’s just better to hit the road and see where the hell you end up. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Pictures;
Monarch Pass National Forest
Black Hills of the Gunnison Nat'l Park (50 Amp power)
Horsethieves BLM, Moab
N rim of Grand Canyon Nat'l forest
S rim of the Grand Canyon (stayed at Desert View and Trailer Village)
What a great story of adventures! We have also found out that if you have a change of plans and just take it in stride, it ends up often being better that your original plan.

Thanks for posting that!

Steve
Old 06-25-2024, 08:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
5 more days left for the June Photo Contest “How the Hell Did We End Up Here?” Post the good, the bad, and the ugly photos and stories from your travels ☺️

Steve and Debbie
Old 06-27-2024, 10:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
5 more days left for the June Photo Contest “How the Hell Did We End Up Here?” Post the good, the bad, and the ugly photos and stories from your travels ☺️

Steve and Debbie
Or maybe, “This was not our original plan. We’re sure glad we were able to look back and say ‘I can’t believe we did this!’.”
Old 07-01-2024, 08:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Although we didn’t have a quantity of submissions for this months contest, the quality of the posts were superb! The winner of this months contest is GOUSC for the great story of embracing life at it comes and the photos that went with it. I sent him a PM and will look forward to what’s in store for July. And a special thanks to eubank for getting June’s started.

Steve & Debbbie
Old 07-08-2024, 09:01 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
I have never had much luck adding a photo. How do you add URL of an image or where do you find the URL of an image?
thanks
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 07:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight Mike View Post
I have never had much luck adding a photo. How do you add URL of an image or where do you find the URL of an image?
thanks
Basically, the URL will come from some server that is hosting or storing the picture. So if the picture is on a picture-storage site like Flickr, then you can get the URL there.

An example. Here's a picture of a gorilla that I took a few months ago. The picture is stored on my Flickr account. The URL below has (parentheses) around it just so that you can see it.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f691b7c_6k.jpg)

But you can use the AirForums picture-display utility (or the manual method) and include just the URL along with the relevant display code before and after. And then you see the picture instead of the URL:

Lynn