Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What did your digital camera cost & do you use a video camera to take pics?
Under $100 (choose one option) 2 5.26%
$100 - $200 7 18.42%
$200 - $500 8 21.05%
$500 or more 23 60.53%
Standard digital camera to take photos (choose one option) 21 55.26%
Video digital camera to take photos 7 18.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Camera preferences, suggestions, ideas & Poll

I am in the market for a new camera, and need some input on what others are currently using. I would prefer digital, but would like to hear any and all opinions. I recently sold my Canon EOS Rebel Xti 10 megapixel, because it was more camera than I needed for my purposes. I'm looking for something a bit simpler to use that takes decent pictures, both at a distance and up close, is not too big and heavy, and that doesn't cost a small fortune.

In looking through the threads I realized that there doesn't really seem to be any discussion on what types of cameras are used and preferred by forum users. Whether for taking photos of reno's, restores, repairs, travels, reference, rallies, etc. The last post relating to favorite digital cameras was almost 3 years ago(see below). Since technology changes so quickly, I thought maybe there could be updated input to this topic.

Also I thought I'd add a poll to see the average cost most spend on a digital camera.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f415...-use-6841.html (started: 9/21/03, last post: 3/19/07)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f415...why-23624.html (started: 6/16/06, last post: 6/19/06)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f415...use-16401.html (started: 5/2/05, last post: 5/3/05)

Looking forward to the replies.

Happy New Year to all !!!

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Small easy to use and more features.

Hi, I have been using Konica brand 35 mm cameras for years so my first digital camera was also a Konica. Very small, took good pictures, and best of all I could print my pictures on my computer instead of some photo lab screwing them up, not to mention the long wait. The biggest draw back was very short battery life.

After some not so good experiences we decided to upgrade. My wife bought the camera that you stated, you just sold. I really like that camera, but it is too bulky to carry around all the time. So I bought a Canon A-1000; It is pocket sized, takes good pictures, uses an SD memory card, and two AA batteries. [throw away or rechargeable] No more battery problems. A big plus, is that my camera also shoots movies. I bought mine at Costco as a camera / printer package. My Epson printer was failing, so I hooked up my Canon printer. We are very happy with our cameras and printer. Note: the A-1000 has been replaced by the A-1100, more mega-pixels.

I didn't vote because we have both cameras and mine came with the printer. Also mine takes videos and still shots. You gave quite a few choices, but I don't quite fit into any of them.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Camera preferences, suggestions, ideas & Poll

I couldn't imagine being without my Canon Digital Rebel XT. In the years that I have owned the camera, I have added wide angle, fish-eye, and close-up lenses as well as a number of different filters and macro-lenses. It is such a huge advancement over my first digital camera -- Sony Digital Mavica FD-90/91. The Canon was expensive -- but the entire package -- camera with lenses was less costly than just the Mavica when I purchased it over 13 years ago.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
_

. , .
good job looking through the old threads mary, really!

IF the rebel was TOO MUCH camera, how so?

size or menu or what?

IF u are familiar NOW with the canon menus and set up and downloading and software...

and LIKED those things...

stick with the C line there are several really good digi p/s and the power shot series and so on...

otoh IF the programing was TOO complex or the menu/setup NOT to your liking..

then go look at the other major players and run through their software/setup.

IF you plan to PRINT a lot and want really simple printing the kodaks have really made this simple.

this digital camera review site is very useful for shopping, since they run through ALL of the features and apps.

http://www.dpreview.com/

just don't get overwhelmed by the IMAGE technical section of each review

this all assumes u wanna move AWAY from digi slr and separate lens/bodies to something simpler ...

along with searching the past threads it is useful to describe what u didn't like about the last one,

and HOW u plan to use the next one.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The thing is about digital cameras is that there is such a huge herd of good ones to pick from!

I like Consumers Reports for this kind of purchase, since they always give a good overview of the market, and they also give great ideas on how to choose. Their ratings are good too (in the pay section), but differences in the scores between the top and the bottom ones aren't huge anymore, so it is kind of tough to make a "mistake".

Canon and Panasonic always seem to rate at or near the top, and Kodak often gets a "Best Buy" rating for good performance at low price.

I think though, that you have to start out by deciding whether you want a sub-compact, a compact, or a "regular" sized one. I always seem to go for a small one, since I find that if its little, I'm more liekly to take it with me, and therefore get more interesting shots.

When I was a real enthusiast, I lugged around a film SLR for years with at least three lenses, and it was always such a chore to get a good shot that I often missed out on the opportunity.

This link is to a short little video on how they test cameras, and in it they show the key features.

It's like buying an AS: take your time, and try them out; see how you react to the buttons and feel.

Good luck!
Aage
Old 01-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I got a Polaroid 5.1 Mp camera that we paid $60 for. That's the camera that has taken about 90+% of the photos I've posted here on the forums over the last 3 years, including the one currently in my avatar.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
good job looking through the old threads mary, really!

IF the rebel was TOO MUCH camera, how so?

size or menu or what?

IF u are familiar NOW with the canon menus and set up and downloading and software...

and LIKED those things...

stick with the C line there are several really good digi p/s and the power shot series and so on...

otoh IF the programing was TOO complex or the menu/setup NOT to your liking..

then go look at the other major players and run through their software/setup.

IF you plan to PRINT a lot and want really simple printing the kodaks have really made this simple.

this digital camera review site is very useful for shopping, since they run through ALL of the features and apps.

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

just don't get overwhelmed by the IMAGE technical section of each review

this all assumes u wanna move AWAY from digi slr and separate lens/bodies to something simpler ...

along with searching the past threads it is useful to describe what u didn't like about the last one,

and HOW u plan to use the next one.

cheers
2air'
Duh, yes that info would help.

Mostly my previous camera had more options to use than I needed or had the interest in adjusting. My hubby is the camera geek, so he knew how to adjust most of the settings, but even he had lost interest. He actually went back to using a Nikon F4 SLR that uses real film!!! It was also a bit too heavy/large, and we had a variety of lenses to use. All of which was a hassle to lug around when traveling for taking photos. I guess I'm looking for a small to medium sized camera to easily take along & has easy to use functions, with good quality photos. So I'm thinking that "less is more". I will be generally using it when traveling, repairing/renovating the AS, and for family gatherings.

p.s. I did like the Zoom Browser EX software that came with the Canon for photo viewing & editing.

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep them coming

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 01-04-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
_

. , .
ok so detached lens are not needed and 'programed modes' that making snapping shots easy IS a good thing.

of course u'll want a flash, most in this segment have built IN flashes.

they are not super powerful but work in most settings.

1-some have a HOT SHOE that allows using another flash, is that important???

another issue is view finder or not.

most of the small digicams have moved away from view finders, relying ONLY on an lcd screen.

in fact some of them now have HUGE lcd screen that basically take up the entire backside.

that's ok indoors and in many low light outdoor settings, but in BRIGHT LIGHT or to hold in the traditional manner...

a view finder is a good thing.

2-so does having a view finder, in combo with the lcd matter???

10 mp is plenty large and larger doesn't equal better pics.

in fact some of these cameras that now have 12 or 15 mp using the tiny sensors take poorer pics than the pervious versions with fewer pixels...

3-so how many megapixels do you want???

another issue is batteries.

some use standard batteries (like AAs) and others use proprietary batteries,

4-does battery style matter???

some of the small cameras with programed shooting also have MANUAL settings and adjustments....

for example some allow aperture or shutter speed priority settings, or more manual adjustments...

5-do you want/need ANY manual adjustments?

6-how much zOOOm is needed???

many of the smaller p/s have 4x optical zoom, that's somewhat standard and limited by the thickness of the case.

but the mid size versions that are still point and shoot may have 10x optical zoom or even 12x.

even with 3-4x zoom image stabilization is very useful...

7-does I.S. matter???

without getting complicated these are some of the issues to think about.

for example i really like having a view finder and do NOT want a camera that only has an lcd for shooting.

and i'm fine with proprietary batteries, and always buy a 2nd battery.

10 mp is plenty for me for every day use and a/s pics, and the built in flash is ok too.

but i do like having some manual settings to override the programed stuff occasionally.

4x zoom is plenty for my pocket camera but i have others that will get to 10 or 12 x optical zoom and use a tripod for them.

sticking just with canon briefly, visit there website and look at the powershot/elph series.

they still make A FEW point/shoots with view finders along with the lcds.

most of them have excellent macro/close up settings and adequate flashes.

many have image stabilization and a couple are 6 or 10x zoom yet still very small to hold.

just some items to consider.

there is a LOT of choice and value in the 200-400$ range.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
You might take a look at the Canon G10

PowerShot G10 IS Digital Camera

I'm not sure if it is still current, but if not, I expect Canon market a similar replacement.

I bought mine after a fairly exhaustive search a couple of years ago.

I wanted something that was a step up from a basic point and shoot, but I didn't want anything as bulky as an SLR, and didn't forsee getting into interchangeable lenses.

Previous experience over many years 35mm use told me that once the camera and its accesories get to bulky, it is more likely to stay at home than to come on trips.

This is especially so for me as I do a fair amount of motorcycle touring where space is at a real premium.

The G10 filed the bill perfectly for me. It is admittedly a bit bigger than the vast majority of rangefinder digital cameras but is as solid as a brick! It is 14.7 mpx, so you can crop the pictures quite substantially with an editing program and still have an image with good resolution.

It has a very large LCD screen, but still retains an optical viewfinder. Battery life seems very good, and it has many manual features - if you want to use them, exposure compensation etc. It can be used in full manual mode.

All in all, I have not found any fault with it and would certainly buy again.

Brian.

PS - the manual that comes with it leaves a bit to be desired if you want to explore its many options. Of course you don;t need to do anything but use it in automatic if that is your preference. I bought a vary good aftermarket book that does a good job of explaining how to use its features to best advantage - I am still working my way through it!

The G10 filled the bill

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
The G-10 is a really good camera. Canon just brought out the newer model, the G-11. They seem to be similar. A good place to find reviews of digital cameras is
dpreview.com
They are very thorough.

Tom

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldfield View Post
The G-10 is a really good camera. Canon just brought out the newer model, the G-11. They seem to be similar. A good place to find reviews of digital cameras is
dpreview.com
They are very thorough.

Tom
Tom, I like the quote onyour signature line, one of my favourites! In fact, in Tombstone last year, I picked up a decent quality replica sherif's badge emblazoned with the words "Stinkin Badge" It is worn with pride on my Tilley hat on our RV trips!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I will second, or third or fourth, the dpreview website, and focus on the useability aspects.

Point-and-shoots have lots of advantages, like size and ease, but I really like the smoother operation of a DSLR. Since your husband has all that Nikon hardware you may want to consider a Nikon D3000 or D5000. The packages with a lens or two are often at Costco at good prices and you or your husband could use some of his lenses (without auto focus, etc) if you wanted. We bought a D5000 this summer and my wife uses it quite a bit. There are a lot of features & menus she doesn't get into, but the quality of our phtos have increased--it seems that we can compose better than looking only on a LCD screen.
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I've been a Pentax nut forever. A late holdout, I finally gave up my trusty K1000 for a digital, a K100D. What made the transition a little easier was that I could upgrade body, but keep all the old lenses. Meanwhile, I've also upgraded lenses, a DA 70-300 being the current main lens along with a little wide-angle for other circumstances.

But it's true that an SLR is a bit much for quickie shots. For that purpose, we use a Ricoh hand-me-down from my mother-in-law. It's a nice little camera (and will also do movies), though Maria would prefer something that has a peek-through viewfinder.

Lynn
Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
How you use the camera will matter. The small digitals are great for snapshots. Everything is always in focus from a few inches away and out. If you are a budding photo arteess that may be a problem. You cann't tell the camera what to have in focus and what to have out of focus. Everything is taken care of for you. The little program choices do it all, face, flower, scenery, ect. If that all sounds to weird find a small digital with a good zoom that feels right. I would suggest something that uses standard batteries as the recharge ones can be expensive. Also consider how you get the shots out of the camera. What kind of memory card it uses. Then shoot away. My wive's small canon takes great pictures with a lot less trouble than my Nikon D90.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
If you still have the Nikon lenses around, I would think about going to KEH.com and buying a used Nikon D50. They have a super sensor, and you can easily select among the various programs (landscape, portrait, ect) all of which give excellent results. another advantage is that if you do want the flexibility of other lenses, any Nikon lens will work.

Even though I bought another camera 2 years ago, my D50 still goes with me everywhere and for many situations is my camera of choice. I got one for my mom a couple weeks ago. She is camera naive and loves hers. You cannot buy these new as they were taken off the market some years ago.

Some other things to look for: the delay between pushing the shutter button and firing. Many of the P&S cameras have a delay that makes taking pictures a pain. Also, how fast does the camera cycle between images. And do not forget that optical zoom and electronic zoom are not the same.

By the way, if you see prices too good to be true from New York (Brooklyn esp) they are. Think Nigerian without the same depth of business ethics. BE VERY CAREFUL BUYING CAMERAS FROM COMPANIES YOU DO NOT KNOW! Happy hunting and good shooting

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I recently went through an exhaustive search for a new camera after the CCD went out in my old Canon S2IS. After a great deal of searching, I ended up going with a Canon SX10 IS through the canon loyalty program, where you can turn in your broken camera for a refurb model. It turned out to be a pretty good deal and I am very happy with the new camera because it features a 20x zoom, which I really wanted for wildlife shots. Seems like it covers the bases for both a point-n-shoot, and it has some more detailed adjustments, without having to swap lenses.

I have a friend who does some really neat stuff with a Canon SX110, which is more of a pocket size camera. And another friend who has a very fancy camera but relies on her little pocket size (incredibly small actually) Nikon Coolpix.

There really are a lot of great choices depending on how you plan to use it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
My last digital camera was the Canon G2. it recently froze up on me after many years of abuse and excellent photos with a mere 4 megapixel! I am going to go after the G10 or 11 when I go camera shopping. Right now I am using my iPhone camera, which is not going to work for the resto of my AS...

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
If you still have the Nikon lenses around, I would think about going to KEH.com and buying a used Nikon D50.
Try the lenses (all of them) with the digital body though. I went through this with my Nikkors, and only two fit well. One hit the back of the body, (and I didn't stick around to find out why)
Old 01-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Try the lenses (all of them) with the digital body though. I went through this with my Nikkors, and only two fit well. One hit the back of the body, (and I didn't stick around to find out why)
Strange, mine worked flawlessly. Go figure, good cautionary note.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #20
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Strange, mine worked flawlessly. Go figure, good cautionary note.
Your photos on your posted website look awesome!!! So you used your D50 to take those, right?

I'll have to look into those. Do you know if there is a newer version of the D50 available at retail?

Thanks, Mary
Forums member #29232

Tags
camera, digital, film, photography