Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Photography
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Airstronomy

Airstreaming astronomers, let's see how you enjoy your hobby when on the road, or just your Airstream under the stars! Here's one from Fort Clinch SP in NE Florida, with a 10" Dobsonian reflector (Teleport). Joe

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1483905504.157120.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	277867

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I also have a 10" dob, and we have taken it all the way to CO in our Airstream. We've also taken our Airstream to camp in at star parties. It's something I hope to do more of when we have more time to travel someday.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I am glad you started this thread. I have been shopping around and thinking about getting a telescope to take out on the road. Any recommendations for a good quality, strong telescope are appreciated!
Old 01-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
I am glad you started this thread. I have been shopping around and thinking about getting a telescope to take out on the road. Any recommendations for a good quality, strong telescope are appreciated!
Let the opinions roll!

Ok -- questions (solely from my perspective) -- would you rather focus on the moon and planets, or on deep-sky/nebula? Are you looking at astrophotography, or general viewing? What is your budget, and are you keen to learn the night sky, or after a computer-guidance seek-and-find style experience?

How much storage space in your TV are you willing to dedicate?

In my humble opinion, start with a Newtonian -- you can get good apetures and F/ ratios for fairly inexpensive prices; and small, and easy to setup tubes. you can find good Dobsonians with truss tubes, allowing you to pull apart and store compact in a pickup, but costs are going to go up a bit.

I have a 16" dob, with crappy optics (I ground the primary mirror myself when in college), a 4" schmidt-cassegrain I use for planets and the moon, and a new 7.5" (nearly) Mak-Newtonian for deep sky observing and photography. My camera is an old Pentax K1000 35mm (!!!) which is in budget to be replaced this year with possibly a Sony a6000 which I've had good words from other astro-friends about.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
My question for aistreamers is - at star parties, have you done anything special re your interior lights, such as replacing LED puck glass with red-lenses, or figured a way to switch over to on-demand color-change LEDs? My 2011 year Aistream is the first year they went to LEDs (so I am to believe) and the color spectrum they chose is what I call "clinical white." I'd love to find a solid and reliable way to allow for interior light use at star parties without blowing everyone's retinas out if someone accidentally hits the wrong switch while searching for the bathroom...
Old 01-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hi Ian, I tape a red gel (doubled) over the dinette table puck, and wear a red light head lamp; that usually gets me through a night. This does not protect against someone accidentally turning on a white light, but it would be pretty easy to do the same temporary red gel treatment on all or most of the interior (and any exterior) lights. Joe
Old 01-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Here's a picture of us setting up under the darkest sky site that I've ever witnessed - Needles Outpost Campground just outside Canyonlands National Park, Utah.

It was a little cloudy at the time of this picture, but it cleared up that night and there was no moon. We were the only campers in the campground, and there were no light domes anywhere to be seen.

Needless to say, the skies were remarkable. For the first time in my life, I could see M33 (Triangulum Galaxy) with the naked eye (after first finding it in binoculars).

This night was one of the highlights of our recent 6200 mile trip from Florida to Utah, and it made hauling all the astro gear worthwhile.

Clear skies,
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Danville , Pennsylvania
Airstronomers

Ahhh... a thread after my own heart. I have a 11" SCT and 3" refractor. I'm striving to perfect imaging, though the SCT's GEM has a faulty tracking motor right now so I am temporarily dry-docked.

After several years of enjoying Cherry Springs star parties (north mountains of Pennsylvania) in our Kendrick observing tent, we just bought our first Airstream last fall (International 23FB). No star gazing adventures with her yet, but soon - that was a key reason for buying her. And, of course, while my wife enjoys (tolerates?) our star camping outings, she would much prefer to camp in more comfortable, private surroundings with a nice queen bed (and I guess I do too).

We are planning our first big trip (western parks) around the eclipse next August.

Clear skies!
Frank
Fbastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
For planning your trip out to see the 2017 solar eclipse you may find these two books informative. I am hoping to convince my wife and siblings on a group campout to view it from one of the national parks.

https://www.amazon.com/2017-Eclipse-...r+eclipse+2017

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:39 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Danville , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the information. I know that Grand Tetons camps are already booked up for 8/21. We're actually going from there to Nebraska to watch it. (Good chance of clear skies)
Old 01-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
We carry an eight inch DOB on trips to West Texas and to the coast. Most difficult aspect is carrying/storing the base and the small trailer I built to move it around on when set up. Padre Island National Park has a fenced in area for observing near the visitor center parking lot.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
San Diego and Julian , California
We got really lucky and secured one of those few spots in the Grand Tetons for the eclipse. I am wondering if anyone knows what kind of lens we should use for our camera, and for our eyes. We want to be safe.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
We went deer in Utah 25yrs ago at an elevation of 8,000 ft. My dad pointed out what looked like moving stars, with no flashing lights for airplanes. He told us that these were satellites, with the sun reflecting on them. Is this true?
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:40 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Danville , Pennsylvania
Watching the Eclipse

For the eclipse I bought a filter fitted for my 3" refractor (I'll have an eyepiece camera on it set to auto while I actually enjoy the eclipse). For general use (binoculars, cameras, etc.) I bought sheet filter material that can simply be cut to fit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DS7SCBQ..._MvPuxT69zDK8B
and inexpensive cardboard eclipse glasses to give away to friends and relatives:
https://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-Glass...e+-+Pack+of+10
Old 01-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Danville , Pennsylvania
Satellites

Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
We went deer in Utah 25yrs ago at an elevation of 8,000 ft. My dad pointed out what looked like moving stars, with no flashing lights for airplanes. He told us that these were satellites, with the sun reflecting on them. Is this true?
They very likely were satellites. Not sure how many there were then, but today there are over 2000 man-made objects in orbit. Some are very easily spotted like the ISS - you can actually sign-up for text messages from NASA telling when the next ISS sighting will be at your location (https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/)
Old 01-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Telescope for Astrophotography

I am interested in a telescope for astrophotography. I'm also in the market for a heavy duty tri-pod with multiple axis tiltible mount.

For those interested in the eclipse, there is also an eclipse thread in Off-topic forums. I'm posting information there regarding where I purchased eclipse glasses etc.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #17
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
A lot of the desert national parks and monuments now advertise as Dark Sky sites. Oftentimes they will have a big telescope and ranger talk at night about star-gazing.

I've got the Skymap app on my cell phone. Just noting, however, that cell phone service can be spotty to none in some of these places, so an old-fashioned paper guide to the night sky is advised.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
For paper maps the "Sky Atlas 2000" remains my trusted source.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Just tagging in to follow the discussions. We've stayed at Cherry Springs a couple of time with our '64 Safari, including a super moon eclipse. It was great, we just parked off to the side to prevent blocking anyone else. We covered the interior lights with red film and it worked well. Since then, we found some LED lights at Sam's Club that are battery operated and offer a choice of color (white, red, blue, and green). They come in multipacks and each pack has a controller allowing you to select the color on all lights at once. The photo shows a couple on the dinette and a couple on each wardrobe shelf in our '68 Overlander. They red light the interior very well at night.

Great thread, thanks for the discussion.

Roy and Marie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3450.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	278983  
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Danville , Pennsylvania
I also found some red LEDs that appear to be easy replacements for the stock LED chips on my '17 23FB. Haven't bought any yet though. Can any one speak to how easy it is to pop the puck lens cover off to swap chips? Worth doing for a weekend if use?
Frank