Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2017, 01:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Providence , Utah
New to us 1958 Flying Cloud

We have a project! This is our new Flying Cloud. There is nothing inside.

We just removed the floor and found that the frame has some badly rusted channels and the tube is rusted through in the front. If anyone has experience fixing a frame, we would appreciate any advice. Our instinct is to take the trailer to a local shop that builds farm trailers, and have them do the repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front frame street.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	285912   Click image for larger version

Name:	front frame curb.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	768.5 KB
ID:	285913  

Name:	Trailer 1 cropped.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	285914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 2 cropped.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	711.1 KB
ID:	285915  

Name:	Front frame Center.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	644.0 KB
ID:	285916  
Airspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
good instinct

Do not be afraid to do that. If your trailer shop has a good welder, you can do those stringer replacements without a shell off . The main rails is a different story....there you can do some repairs but probably not major sections. If it comes out you need to do major replacements , a shell off is the best route and then...have that welder build a copy of your frame...no big deal for the welder. Now your into a lot different project. Also, use that trailer shop for many of your other needs... they will have all the basics a LOT cheaper than most RV shops.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airspry View Post
We have a project! This is our new Flying Cloud. There is nothing inside.

We just removed the floor and found that the frame has some badly rusted channels and the tube is rusted through in the front. If anyone has experience fixing a frame, we would appreciate any advice. Our instinct is to take the trailer to a local shop that builds farm trailers, and have them do the repairs.
You might want to do a little more research on your project. Yours looks exactly like mine. I don't believe it is a flying cloud. In fact I would say it is a Caravanner. The windows give it away. Also, from what I have gathered, they stopped making 13 panels in mid year '57. You clearly have a 13 panel.

Great find!
Old 05-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Providence , Utah
We have been wondering about the model. The plate on the side says Flying Cloud. Now that we have the wheel well covers off, the second set say, "Fly Cloud." Having said that, it does look like pictures of Caravanners.

As for the year, the title says '59, but based on the serial number, we thought it was a '58 so that fact that it may be a 57 is a bit of a mystery. One explanation is that they sometimes put the year sold on the title. The VIN/serial number is 03459
Old 05-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Providence , Utah
Thank you for your thoughts on the trailer shop. We finished getting the floor out today. I am very proud of myself as I learned how to grind out bolts.

It is looking more and more as though we may have to do a frame off renovation. I will post more pictures of the frame a bit later.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Quote:
Thank you for your thoughts on the trailer shop. We finished getting the floor out today. I am very proud of myself as I learned how to grind out bolts.

It is looking more and more as though we may have to do a frame off renovation. I will post more pictures of the frame a bit later.
Looking at your frame I would say that a shell off it the only way to go. I would go to the trailer guy and get an estimate, and if it fits your budget go for it. Knowing what it cost me, I would guess you should be somewhere around 1k with parts and labor. You can buy a lot of those parts on line and not worry about some one fabricating every single thing.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
1958 22' Flying Cloud

Hi Airspry: This reply is going to be one big jumbled run-on mess because, apparently, this web site no longer recognizes formatting instructions such as paragraph breaks from as computer software program as opposed to an app. So as a work-around I will indicate where each new paragraph should begin by using a long dash, such as this ----- Your trailer's serial number, O-3459, is for a later 1957 22' Flying Cloud trailer built in Airstream's Ohio plant, hence the O[hio] prefix to your numerical serial number. But Airstream's 1957 model year for its Ohio-built trailers was unusually long in that it ended in April 1958 rather than the fall of 1957. So your trailer may have been built in late 1957 or in the first few months of 1958. It is difficult to say because we do not know the ending s/n for 1957 Ohio-built Flying Cloud production. Incomplete records show Flying Cloud s/n O-3460, one numeral higher than yours, is known to exist. -------- As you acknowledge, some states titled trailers in the year they were first registered rather than the year they were built, so the 1959 on your trailer's title may have been the year it was first registered with a state by the initial purchaser. Your Flying Cloud definitely is a Flying Cloud model and not a Caravanner, which its window arrangement resembles. ------- I would post here a two page flyer for the 1958 Flying Cloud showing its exterior and floor plan, but I can no longer figure out how to do what I have done for decades on this web site. I am posting from a vintage Windows 10 computer, not from a modern smart phone or a tablet, and the Attach Files box at the bottom of my Reply to Thread area is a entombed dead zone which does not link to anything except rational emotional frustration. ------- A quick advanced search for How to Post a Photo on this web site reveals nothing useful for us vintage computer users. I apparently still have software on my vintage computer as opposed to an app, and my software does not include any visible paper clips (which induce bad flashbacks to Windows XP) or any Manage Attachment box. Grrrrrrrr. ------- Anyway, if someone could tell me how, in 2017, to simply post a .jpg photo from a computer to this web site, I might attempt to help you out further by posting the Airstream sales flyer for a 1958 Flying Cloud. In the meantime, Good Luck and Success with your restoration!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Providence , Utah
Hi Fred,
Thank you for your detailed answer. It is wonderful to have the mystery of the year and model resolved. It is also great to know that the first digit of the serial number is actually a letter.

This information will help us figure out appropriate parts as we go through this renovation. I hope that we will meet at some point so we can thank you in person.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Providence , Utah
Hi IslandTrader,

Jim will take it to the trailer folks tomorrow so we will know more soon.

Thank you for sharing your rebuild page. It is helpful to see images of the process. We are working outside so have to get everything sealed up by September. The good news is that in Utah, we will have 2-3 months with almost no precipitation.

Ariel
Old 06-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Providence , Utah
Her shell is off

I am sure that those of you who have done this before are not surprised. We did take the shell off the frame. The local trailer shop did a great job replacing the axel and repairing the frame for a fraction of what it would have cost had we taken the trailer to an Airstream shop.

Our solution to remove the shell was to put a chain hoist in a big tree. The pictures show our custom crane: cool: The one lesson we learned from that is to make sure to lower the shell to rest on the ground rather than on the branch. When a big wind comes up and the branch sways, it is a bit risky for the shell. We rarely get big wind, but I was fortunate to be home when it happened and our shell escaped unscathed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front BP dropped smaller.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	287738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying Cloud Flying small.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	287739  

Name:	Dog w flying shell small.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	287740  
Old 06-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Great job. I really like the bank of windows. The window layout looks similar to the Ohio built 55 Safari a friend of ours just purchased. I'm working on our 55 belly pan now, so don't toss your old belly pan in the event you need patterns for the corners as a starting place. Just think, in no time you'll be reattaching the shell to the chassis.
Good luck, Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Providence , Utah
Updates on our project

Hi Everyone,
I apologize for going MIA. We had some health challenges and so our project came to a halt. However, we did make some progress. The trailer shop did a great job on the frame. It is now completely repaired and treated/ painted with POR. The parts that will be exposed to the sun are now painted with a silver coat.

Progress came to a halt as we were working on the floor. Instead of replacing the belly pan, we are using 2 layers of marine plywood with foam insulation between them. That way we get a strong, light floor without providing rodent housing. The current plan is to paint the underside with something water resistant (TBD) and to cover the whole floor with linoleum. If any of you have hints for that plan, we welcome your ideas. You can see in the picture that we chose not to reuse the original wheel wells. They were rusted and by rebuilding them with a flat top, we gained a bit of space.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wheel well construction.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	306524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Improved Frame.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	306525  

Old 06-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Providence , Utah
Should we replace low window by the door?

Our trailer had two missing windows when we bought her. We had no idea how diffficult it might be to find replacements. Thanks to encouragement here, I have been searching on eBay. A window came up that was the right size. It had paint on it that I now know is a sign of potentially bad corrosion. Ignorance was bliss and I went ahead and bid on the window. It arrived as promised and after some significant cleaning, I am now waiting for the tempered glass. The picture (on the left) is pre-cleaning.

We are still looking for a window for the lower of two on the curb side just in front of the door. If anyone knows of one, please let me know. The measurements of the window itself are approximately 17.5" h x 17.75" w. Another option is not to replace the missing window and instead just to fill in the space. This option of not replacing the window is appealing in that it gives us more space to put storage. Due to the number of windows on the street side, we are somewhat limited in where we can put cabinets. We would love thoughts on this decision. Has anyone else opted to cover this low window by the door?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New curbside window.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	313941   Click image for larger version

Name:	missing curbside front window.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	313942  

Old 06-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Airspry, as far as covering the lower window, whatever makes you happy. Purists would say no, whereas realists would say yes. When Ohio was producing the 22 footers in the latter 50s, the only way you knew what model you got was by reading the name tag by the door. Maybe since you posted this the window you need will appear. Good luck, Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Quote:
We are still looking for a window for the lower of two on the curb side just in front of the door. If anyone knows of one, please let me know. The measurements of the window itself are approximately 17.5" h x 17.75" w.
I found that good HVAC guy can make a window frame. You will most likely have to improvise on a few of the moving parts, but know one will know but you. BTW I had one made for me. I supplied the aluminum and he only charged me $50.00.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Providence , Utah
Thank you Islandtrader

Thank you for the advice. We have been thinking about reaching out to HVAC folks for some other parts. I had not thought of getting their help on the window.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:16 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Providence , Utah
It's slow, but there is progress

It has been a while since I shared our progress. It has been slow going.

The good news is that we found a window for the curbside beside the door. It has two smaller windows. I have not removed the old frame yet but will do that as soon as I've rebuilt the two new windows. One is badly corroded so it will be a challenge.

Otherwise, we built a new floor. It's marine plywood with insulation sandwiched in between. Here's a picture so you can see what we did. The idea is to avoid insulation in the floor that will get wet and just provide rodent housing. Our next step is to install Marmoleum over the floor.

We just found a garage in the neighborhood where we can work this winter. We need to learn to rivet in order to get her back together. We'll practice before working on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Windows rebuilt front & street.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	328151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Window in backJPG.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	328152  

Name:	back curb window.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	328153   Click image for larger version

Name:	new floor foam showing small.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	328154  

Old 11-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
It will be interesting to hear how the additional wood bracing between the frame and plywood floor works once you have the trailer back bouncing down the road. I would be concerned that this will force the floor bolts to be longer and this reduce structural rigidity.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:16 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Providence , Utah
Hi Joe,

I sure hope that it is ok. Building the floor this way took a long time. If it doesn't work well, we'll be in a world of hurt.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
I know this is after the fact...I just laid the floor down and then glued the insulation to the floor. After that then put the belly pans on. The air space barrier is on the bottom side which will insulate the floor from heat and cold...

Name:	IMG_2521.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	455.9 KB
ID:	328319

Tags
1957, caravanner, flying cloud