Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1956 - 1959 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
you can see a 3 part video describing the rebuilding of the windows on my blog. be sure to check out all three parts;

reside architecture | modern design for the residential lifestyle

look forward to meeting many of you at the vintage rally this weekend!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #162
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood View Post
you can see a 3 part video describing the rebuilding of the windows on my blog. be sure to check out all three parts;

reside architecture | modern design for the residential lifestyle

look forward to meeting many of you at the vintage rally this weekend!
Rebuilding Hehr windows are a complete pain. I wish I had the crank operators in my 53 instead of the lever operators. Yesterday I uas using a small syringe and needle to seal the front frame gasket where it meets in the middle.

Steve
Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 AM   #163
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Rebuilding Hehr windows are a complete pain. I wish I had the crank operators in my 53 instead of the lever operators. Yesterday I uas using a small syringe and needle to seal the front frame gasket where it meets in the middle.

Steve
yeah it was tough and dirty work. i put about 40 hours into the rebuilding. it took me a little while to get over them not being perfect (they are 50+ years old), but once i got them installed they looked really great.

kudos to uwe at area 63. he was instrumental in getting my cloud in a temporary state of travel to make it suitable for the 4CU vintage rally this weekend. it's essentially an aluminum tent, reside architecture | modern design for the residential lifestyle

Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #164
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi all,

we'll it's been 2 1/2 years since my last post here (and my son in the avatar is now 5) and wanted to give you an update.

it's been an up and down year for me this past year and going through a life transition. BUT i'm back focused on the airstream. the latest;

the windows are all rebuilt and uwe at area 63 built me a new front window from scratch as we couldn't find one. the exterior panels are done and i am now cutting the insulation for the interior. i will be installing the insulation within the next couple of weeks using three layers of the foil stuff that uwe recommended. once that is done, we'll do the wiring and then install all new interior skins.

it's coming up on 5 years of ownership in november. can't believe it's been that long.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #165
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Hi Urban glad to see you are back at it. I am going to need to pick your brain about those windows. That will be one of the next tasks after I put the beast back togeather. One of my willing but clueless friends from Malibu is comming over for beer steak and buck rivets!
Did you already get your Prodex? They were consolidating wearhouses and I got a two for one sale! And with the 30ft trailer I need all the cheap parts I can get! Stay with it post some detail pics of those windows.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi marzboy,

those windows were WAY more time consuming than i thought. i wanted to have them remade but received insane prices to have that done so i ended up rebuilding them. check out the videos here residearchitecture's Channel - YouTube

uwe at area 63 made the front window for me as we couldn't locate a replacement so he built it from scratch as a HUGE favor to me. it was quite difficult but looks amazing as i wanted the one picture window.

i started installing insulation, three layers tape and sealed. headed down today to continue the installation.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #167
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Wow great videos! Thank you for that. I have a feeling that all is more time consuming than we thought. I was reading a thread by Areowood (hes an aerospace mechanic) and found this for cleaning window parts. It arrives on Tuesday I will let you know. If you ever get over to "the Valley" you are welcome to stop by and check me out! Good luck on the insulation that will be comming up soon for me, Ill be watching....
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #168
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Welcome...

Hi David,

Congratulations on your recent purchase. I also bought a 54 flying cloud a couple of months ago and I dove right in to the deep end of the restoration. I removed the shell last week and the floor also. I am stripping the existing paint from the frame now and will paint with POR 15 soon. Mine is ground up too so maybe we can learn from each other during the process. I'll continue to post photos and info on my restoration so stay tuned. Take your time, do it right. You'll be happier in the end.

Peace,

JT
54breadloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #169
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Oops... Sorry, I meant to post to David
54breadloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #170
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , CA
Send a message via ICQ to SilverPal2
Have not seen anyone post in this thread for a while it would be nice to see all of us 1950's flying cloud frame off guys keep a thread going
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-LLC.com
SilverPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #171
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
Nice......

git ur done.......
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:14 AM   #172
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTER TAXES View Post
git ur done.......
AFTER TAXES, there is a ‘Flying Cloud Registry’ that was started by Captain Jones’ back in ‘06. He was no longer active on the site after about 2013. We thought it was informative to maintain the Registry, so my wife organized Captain Jones’ information and installed a spreadsheet on the thread. If the intent is for historical purposes, there could be a column added indicating which FCs had a shell off renovation. If the intent is to share information and experience, the a new thread could be started. Thanks, Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote