Old 10-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Baltimore , Maryland
Winterizing Solar Batteries

Greetings,

My 2020 Basecamp X has the solar upgrade. I cannot seem to find recommendations regarding best cold-weather practice for the AGM batteries installed by Airstream with the solar panels.

I live in the mid-Atlantic, store outside in a spot that receives good morning to early afternoon sun, without shore power. The batteries are almost always at 100% when I've checked on them. While winters vary, we rarely see prolonged freezing temperatures.

Should I remove the batteries to store indoors and trickle charge as needed or leave connected in the Basecamp with the solar continuing to charge?

And, for what it's worth, I've had the Basecamp since August and have taken it on a few trips during which time it has performed flawlessly. No issues whatsoever!

Can't wait to spend more time in it... Jim

jrmillerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #2
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hi Jim,
I have four AGM batteries in my 2012 Airstream and about 400W solar. The batteries have been in place since 2012. They have never been out of the Airstream. I store outside all year and get subjected to nasty Canadian winters. The batteries are still performing well with zero maintenance since 2012. My plan is to do nothing until they fail and when they fail, I will just replace them. I have no idea how long they will last.