Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2021, 11:39 PM   #1
knight-rider

2021 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Why would a brand new BC 20X black tank flush clog?

We just got our new shiny BC 20X. It's one beautiful trailer. I might post a separate review on all the pros and some nit pick cons. There are so many things that Airstream has done really well.

I do have one minor glitch - the black tank flush is not letting water inside the tank. I tried everything (increased water pressure; kept the water knob open for several mins; towed with full tank to clear the inside nozzles, etc. but nothing worked). I don't want to blow air, because I don't know how delicate the inside nozzles are structured. The unit is an out of state delivery. I should have checked this feature when I got the delivery. We checked everything except this feature. I'm not too worried because there is warranty.

I can understand if this happened on older units. The inside nozzles might get blocked with periodic build ups. But why would this happen in a new unit delivered directly from factory few days ago? How did the quality checks miss this issue? Black tank flush system is a new feature added in BC 20 models. So it's a bit disappointing to see this feature not working.

Any suggestions I could try before I loop the service crew and invoke warranty? Appreciate any pointers. Thanks!
knight-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Why is difficult to answer. Installed wrong? Faulty part?

I would just let it be handled under warranty. Maybe wait a bit to see if anything else comes up so you can get everything handled at one time.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sorry for your troubles. Good research IMO.

Air pressure at 30 PSI should not hurt anything IMO, and you should be able to hear the air escaping from the spray nozzles on the top of the black water tank. [with the trailer and surroundings very quiet -- which includes the compressor being off]

Guessing a plumbing error, or a defective anti-siphon vacuum-breaker valve?

https://www.google.com/search?q=blac...=airforums.com

"Quality checks?" . . . . . . see here . . . good company.

Ditto to last comment to let a dealer check under warranty after further investigation per above.

Good luck.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:18 AM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight-rider View Post
We just got our new shiny BC 20X. It's one beautiful trailer. I might post a separate review on all the pros and some nit pick cons. There are so many things that Airstream has done really well.

I do have one minor glitch - the black tank flush is not letting water inside the tank. I tried everything (increased water pressure; kept the water knob open for several mins; towed with full tank to clear the inside nozzles, etc. but nothing worked). I don't want to blow air, because I don't know how delicate the inside nozzles are structured. The unit is an out of state delivery. I should have checked this feature when I got the delivery. We checked everything except this feature. I'm not too worried because there is warranty.

I can understand if this happened on older units. The inside nozzles might get blocked with periodic build ups. But why would this happen in a new unit delivered directly from factory few days ago? How did the quality checks miss this issue? Black tank flush system is a new feature added in BC 20 models. So it's a bit disappointing to see this feature not working.

Any suggestions I could try before I loop the service crew and invoke warranty? Appreciate any pointers. Thanks!
Hi knight-rider,*

Congrats on your new Airstream! We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 03-01-2021, 09:21 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
If you can find it I’m with Peter re: possible reversed back flow preventer install.

Try to find it and get pic of it.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:13 PM   #6
DBWJLW

2021 20' Basecamp
Tulsa , OK
We just got a BC20X in January and the SAME thing happened with ours. It's currently at the dealer waiting on warranty/part. They said the black flush valve was "faulty".
DBWJLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thank you for that report, and welcome to the forum. When you get the details of the repair, and the parts removed/installed, please update us. Our new 2014 FC20 came with a defective valve, and the dealer sent us a new brass version, because we were not able to get back there for a warranty repair. The new brass valve is sitting on a shelf above the bed, because this part is in a hard-to-reach location.

If there is a 2021 Basecamp 20X fleet-wide problem, it would be good to let everyone here know IMO.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi knight-rider,*

Congrats on your new Airstream! We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Per the recent Post #6, is this a 2021 BC20X fleet-wide problem?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
ouch! this is a thread I will be following... I have a basecamp 20x on order now.. keep us informed please
kgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:15 PM   #10
knight-rider

2021 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi knight-rider,*

Thank you.*
Thanks AirstreamInc. We contacted the customer support as per your request. Looking forward to getting this issue resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBWJLW View Post
We just got a BC20X in January and the SAME thing happened with ours. It's currently at the dealer waiting on warranty/part. They said the black flush valve was "faulty".
DBWJLW, sorry to hear that you faced the same problem. Please keep us posted.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #11
DBWJLW

2021 20' Basecamp
Tulsa , OK
Dealer confirmed the valve was faulty. They didn't say it was installed wrong or backwards, just "faulty". They are replacing now. They also said the winterization kit was sucking antifreeze into the fresh water tank and not through the pipes. Yikes! They are placing that as well.
DBWJLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:36 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Lafayette , Colorado
Easy fix. Drive side cabinet, behind bathroom, open the door, take out 4 screws (covered in white). Remove back panel of cabinet. Just over the wheel well is an anti-siphon valve that protects the black tank line. They have also added a check valve, it is a grey 2" 1/2" part coming off the right side of the anti-siphon valve. This check valve is most likely backward. Mine was. Unscrew the bottom of the anti-siphon and check valve, unscrew check valve. Flip so arrow goes the way the water should flow, into tank.... re-install.
Mtstarr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:22 AM   #13
knight-rider

2021 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBWJLW View Post
Dealer confirmed the valve was faulty. They didn't say it was installed wrong or backwards, just "faulty". They are replacing now. They also said the winterization kit was sucking antifreeze into the fresh water tank and not through the pipes. Yikes! They are placing that as well.
Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm glad it's getting fixed, along with the winterization kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtstarr1 View Post
Easy fix. Drive side cabinet, behind bathroom, open the door, take out 4 screws (covered in white). Remove back panel of cabinet. Just over the wheel well is an anti-siphon valve that protects the black tank line. They have also added a check valve, it is a grey 2" 1/2" part coming off the right side of the anti-siphon valve. This check valve is most likely backward. Mine was. Unscrew the bottom of the anti-siphon and check valve, unscrew check valve. Flip so arrow goes the way the water should flow, into tank.... re-install.
Wow! Thanks so much for the tips. I'll try this out tomorrow. I hope it's the same issue with my unit as well. By any chance, do you have a picture of the correctly installed valve? Appreciate your help. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Westlake Vlg , CA
Thank you very much for the post and replies. Found it last night when doing a pre-first trip trial of the various systems and realized the inlet would not add water to the black tank. Our trip will start with a detour to our dealer to flip the valve. I was not confident after opening the panel per Mtstarr1's instructions that I'd get it right without assistance from the service folks but at least now I know exactly what to tell them to do! I will also have them show me where it is and what's what behind the panel.
the eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:45 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Westlake Vlg , CA
photos of check valve repair

Okay, so I went from not knowing we had a problem with the black tank inlet until last night and not even knowing what a check valve was, to replacing it this afternoon myself without having to see the dealer. Here are some photos for anyone considering doing it yourself.

It's the gray plastic piece in the upper left of the close up photo. It was installed with the arrow facing the wrong way. I unscrewed both ends, flipped it, added some plumber's tape and screwed it back in. That's it. This is the panel immediately to the left of the bathroom, lowest level. Good luck and thank you to all who posted here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	check valve repair wide view.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	392390   Click image for larger version

Name:	check valve repair.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	392391  

Old 04-08-2021, 10:58 PM   #16
knight-rider

2021 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
thanks for sharing pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by the eagle View Post
Okay, so I went from not knowing we had a problem with the black tank inlet until last night and not even knowing what a check valve was, to replacing it this afternoon myself without having to see the dealer. Here are some photos for anyone considering doing it yourself.

It's the gray plastic piece in the upper left of the close up photo. It was installed with the arrow facing the wrong way. I unscrewed both ends, flipped it, added some plumber's tape and screwed it back in. That's it. This is the panel immediately to the left of the bathroom, lowest level. Good luck and thank you to all who posted here!
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Did you replace it or just flipped the direction of the valve? If you replaced it, did you order the part from the dealership or picked from a local store?
Old 04-09-2021, 07:51 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Westlake Vlg , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight-rider View Post
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Did you replace it or just flipped the direction of the valve? If you replaced it, did you order the part from the dealership or picked from a local store?

I just flipped the existing valve. It’s been working just fine since then.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:51 PM   #18
knight-rider

2021 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by the eagle View Post
I just flipped the existing valve. It’s been working just fine since then.
I had the same problem! I flipped the valve and everything is working now. Thanks to you guys - you saved me a trip to dealership. This forum rocks!!
Old 05-16-2021, 11:20 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

, Virginia
Took longer to read the thread than fix!

Same problem here. Fixing it was a breeze. Thanks for the help!
Pizzaman276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:24 PM   #20
PennTexan

2021 20' Basecamp
Centerville , Texas
Valve arrow should face towards bath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtstarr1 View Post
We have a one-month-old Basecamp 20 X. Just tried the black tank flush and it did not work. Water going no where. Have opened up the panel behind the lower storage cabinet. I see the grey valve but before I take it out I want to make sure that it’s facing the wrong way. The arrow is pointing towards the brass anti-siphon fitting. I’m assuming that’s incorrect and that the arrow should face towards the bathroom. Should face to the right in the photos above. Thanks!
Poconotexan is offline   Reply With Quote