Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2024, 09:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lindenhurst , Illinois
Why Basecamp

Hi - we (my wife and I and a dog) are new to RVs / camping. am about to retire and we plan to travel the country a bit, maybe a few weeks at a time. We're not extreme hikers, climbers, mountain bikers etc, just middle of the road nature enthusiasts, but also like to visit and see cities. Initially we'd be gone in a trailer for maybe a week here and there but later maybe for a month at a time is my planning. I am thinking to not always be at full setup campgrounds but be boondocking as well away from the crowds.

We were at an AS dealer the other day and looked at the Basecamp 20 and kind of liked the spacious feel and simplistic, light and flexible setup. But then also looked online at Bambi 22, Caravel 22 and FC 23 and am now stuck where to go. I get the differences between them and there is lots of pros and cons for each of them i guess and the more you move to the FC the more of an investment it is but also seems the more amenities you get incl. a full Queen bed with walk around space, but also lots of storage in the bathroom and kitchen vs. the BC, inside and outside.

Now my question to the Basecamp 20/20x owners: leaving money aside, what was your main reasons to go with the Basecamp vs. the more traditional trailers and how did it work out vs. what you expected? And what is your experience on longer trips re. storage of supplies, clothes, food etc?

Planning to tow with an Audi Q7, should be good enough for the 22s and 23 as well as the BC. Talked to Andy at CanAm seems the Q7 will work not only on paper but also with many of them he has setup for customers.

Thanks much for all the thoughts.
PeterF66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:37 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Edmonton , AB
We bought the Basecamp for the king size bed (3 dog night) all the fresh air the rear door provides while sleeping and the overall great look.
We tow with a 2021 F150 5.0L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230530_170651.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	440402  
Lon BRISCOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:11 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Tioga , Texas
BC 20x REI edition

We owned a 2016 28 ft Serenity. Pulled with a 2016 Ford F250 Diesel. Good combination but hard to find locations with power and space that we liked, just too much trailer for us. Have on order a BC20X and liked the REI edition. Still have the Ford to pull it. Just the 2 of us, liked the design of BC and allows us to take bikes or kayaks, wife will be full retired by late spring, plan to visit mostly state parks and remote camp in some areas. Have dragon tail awnings that should be great for remote camping especially. Looking forward to solar system and purchased a Zamp 180 Watt 2 panel charge system to help with power.
We like to camp during the week and off-peak times to avoid crowds and noise, will most likely avoid cold climates and extreme summer heat regions.
We have a great dealer in DFW Airstream and look forward to getting out more and enjoying the experience.
Sadie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 02:28 PM   #4

2023 20' Basecamp
Whitby , ON
We purchased a Basecamp 20x from CanAm last spring after much research, visits to RV dealers and attending a RV show.

Near retired couple with a dog and a need to work remotely. Our three key criteria was bed, bathroom and work/dining space. Basecamp hit those and the king bed was a big bonus.

The 20ft fit the sweet spot for size. 22\23 too big and 16 too small. Our tow vehicle is Nissan Frontier with 6000lb towing capacity and 1000lb payload. So the Basecamp 20 fit well at 4300lbs wet and 550lb tongue weight. We found the 20 spacious enough, storage is fine and the different configurations for the rear bed/tables are nice.

Other key differences were...
Rear hatch - for access, air flow and we can load two kayaks.
Shape - gotta say I like the unique shape.
Off-road - the X model's lift and tires has allowed us to camp at rougher and remote spots.

Hope that helps.
Renfrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 04:26 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2024 20' Basecamp
Lake Norman , North Carolina
We are also thinking of downsizing to the Basecamp 20. Even though our current trailer is the smallest of the double axles, we feel it is too much trailer and not configured to our needs. I’m glad to see Sadie007’s comments.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:41 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2023 20' Basecamp
Chesterfield , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterF66 View Post
Hi - we (my wife and I and a dog) are new to RVs / camping. am about to retire and we plan to travel the country a bit, maybe a few weeks at a time. We're not extreme hikers, climbers, mountain bikers etc, just middle of the road nature enthusiasts, but also like to visit and see cities. Initially we'd be gone in a trailer for maybe a week here and there but later maybe for a month at a time is my planning. I am thinking to not always be at full setup campgrounds but be boondocking as well away from the crowds.

We were at an AS dealer the other day and looked at the Basecamp 20 and kind of liked the spacious feel and simplistic, light and flexible setup. But then also looked online at Bambi 22, Caravel 22 and FC 23 and am now stuck where to go. I get the differences between them and there is lots of pros and cons for each of them i guess and the more you move to the FC the more of an investment it is but also seems the more amenities you get incl. a full Queen bed with walk around space, but also lots of storage in the bathroom and kitchen vs. the BC, inside and outside.

Now my question to the Basecamp 20/20x owners: leaving money aside, what was your main reasons to go with the Basecamp vs. the more traditional trailers and how did it work out vs. what you expected? And what is your experience on longer trips re. storage of supplies, clothes, food etc?

Planning to tow with an Audi Q7, should be good enough for the 22s and 23 as well as the BC. Talked to Andy at CanAm seems the Q7 will work not only on paper but also with many of them he has setup for customers.

Thanks much for all the thoughts.
Hello! We looked at the Basecamp, Bambi, Caravel and 23 foot Flying Cloud. Decided on Basecamp 20X.

We’re a working couple who enjoy visiting parks, lakes, and beaches. Hiking, mountain biking and kayaking are sometimes on the agenda. We aren’t avid cooks and don’t need room for kids, so probably the target market! Here’s what we liked about the Basecamp.

- Gorgeous wide front windows (we envisioned lying down and watching the stars or enjoying waterfront views)

- Front table sets up wonderfully for remote work, with a seating area that fits two adults with laptops

- X option can handle predicaments that we might get into while looking for good paddling spots. We do silly things like bringing a four-door sedan down a steep gravel hill to look at a dock.

- Flexibility to have either twin or a large bed in back that can be exited at night without disturbing partner. This was what ruled out the smallest Bambi and Caravel; somebody would be against the wall lengthwise and need to climb over the other person.

- Option for attached tent to expand our outdoor shaded, bug-free hangout space. We picture inviting travel companions to our campsite, and the Basecamp is too small for everyone. A family member currently uses a large Gazelle tent for that purpose and we love it.

- Liked having glass cabinet doors vs. the open spaces in the REI version of Basecamp. It just felt more secure and “finished.” We’d stuff them full and things would fall out.

- Off grid capability will be fun to explore - solar freedom and large tanks are appealing.

The Flying Cloud 23’ twin was a close second. It had a practical sleep configuration and we loved the amount of storage. We were just a bit leery of that extra 3’, being new at towing a trailer.

The Flying Cloud layout with distinctly separate bathroom, bed and galley spaces along with its wallpaper-like vs aluminum walls is very different than that of the streamlined Basecamp. After you walk through them both, it’s a matter of personal preference which style feels more comfortable.

Our tow vehicle is a 5.7L Hemi Ram so weight wasn’t really a factor in choosing. The Flying Cloud seemed like it might approach the limits of my truck if all those cabinets were fully loaded. The Basecamp would be easiest to tow with a V6 SUV.

Good luck choosing your favorite!
Airiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:42 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Does anyone in the basecamp 20x with kids? We’ve been looking into the Flying Cloud with Queen bed and two bunks but I am very curious about the basecamp with the tent option.

I am always sad to see that the RV A/C is never improved on though. All Airstream really should have ducted air in my opinion.
yve79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:14 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Boulder , Colorado
We bought 20X in 2021; tow with VW touareg 3L TD, about the same as your Q7. Pulls like a charm with just a straight hitch. Did 40 days & 40 nights this past fall, and very pleased. Kitchen prep area too small, so add a fold down extension off the sink. Get the X as it increases the places you can get into, esp if you like to boondock. Needed more solar and better batteries that Airstream put on ours which I replaced, but you will have options and go with at least 400 watt + Li batteries. Keep extra water in curbside storage by bed; thats the limiting factor when BD.
Longview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:33 AM   #9

Tavares , Florida
Went with the Basecamp 20x for combination of ground clearance and maneuverabilty. Also like the configurable interior.

Ground clearance has come in handy at horse shows (w/adult daughter) and some light overlanding in VA.

Maneuverability comes into play at various stops along the way. As an example, was able to navigate and park at Mt. Vernon fairly easily.

One thing I've experienced with the configurability...Rather than daily converting tables to beds and back, seems like many BC owners set it up for the trip they're on and just leave it.

All the best!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2654.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	440758  
Arvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:57 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , British Columbia
I wonder how many people leave the bed set up all the time in the Basecamp 20. Would like e to hear pro and con comments.
Downsized is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 12:00 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2023 20' Basecamp
Lincolnton , North Carolina
My wife and I chose a 2023 Basecamp 20X after having owned a 25' Safari, 23' Safari, and 19' Bambi through the years. We wanted something that had a bit more ground clearance than most traditional Airstreams because we were interested in camping in some areas that might be a little more remote. We wanted most of the amenities we had gotten used to in our other Airstreams, and we wanted to be able to stay off the grid comfortably for at least two nights. The 20X checked almost all of the boxes. We have found the cushions in our Basecamp to be more comfortable than any of the mattresses we have had previously, and we seem to have all of the storage we need. We also really like the rear door which makes it easy to load larger items into the trailer. There are a couple of things that we've had to get used to, but they haven't negatively affected our positive opinion of the trailer. The first is the wet bath. A separate shower and toilet are preferable, but we've gotten used to wiping down the walls and running a small fan to dry the bath space. The second is the Suburban water heater which provides sufficient hot water as long as there is water flow. Turn off the flow and we get cold water until the water starts flowing again for a few seconds. Obviously that's not ideal when you're trying to save water at a remote site. At 74 years of age, I find the 20X easy to maneuver, and I like not having to deal with a weight distribution hitch. I tow with a 2022 Silverado 2500HD Duramax so I hardly notice the trailer is behind me. We have really enjoyed our Basecamp, and it was a great choice for two older campers who still enjoy hiking and kayaking.
ncairstreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:27 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2024 20' Basecamp
Lake Norman , North Carolina
Yesterday we went to look at the 16’ and 20’ Basecamps at Airstream Charlotte. Just to look at them, of course is what we said on the drive down.
They had an REI 20X and a 16X. We decided that the 16 was too small. The 20 was the best compromise between our current 23’ and anything smaller.
Long story short, we are towing our 23’ FC down to swap it out with the 20 hopefully the end of this week.
It was like speed dating.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:24 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Tioga , Texas
Yes to REI model

We looked at both and liked the REI, water filter was a plus, and the REI gear was a bonus also. The storage kind of fits our packing style also. My wife found some of the REI packing cubes on-line and stocked up several sizes. We have been members of REI for years, their stuff is good, some over priced. Look at Sierra Trading Post for good camping gear, I buy my Keen shoes there regularly at least half off. Our BC was scheduled to be produced this past week, wife in 7 days post surgery for total knee replacement, says I have to wait until she can go with to pick it up.
Sadie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:08 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfrew View Post
We purchased a Basecamp 20x from CanAm last spring after much research, visits to RV dealers and attending a RV show.

Near retired couple with a dog and a need to work remotely. Our three key criteria was bed, bathroom and work/dining space. Basecamp hit those and the king bed was a big bonus.

The 20ft fit the sweet spot for size. 22\23 too big and 16 too small. Our tow vehicle is Nissan Frontier with 6000lb towing capacity and 1000lb payload. So the Basecamp 20 fit well at 4300lbs wet and 550lb tongue weight. We found the 20 spacious enough, storage is fine and the different configurations for the rear bed/tables are nice.

Other key differences were...
Rear hatch - for access, air flow and we can load two kayaks.
Shape - gotta say I like the unique shape.
Off-road - the X model's lift and tires has allowed us to camp at rougher and remote spots.

Hope that helps.
"I" think RENFROW'S 1st post pretty much says it all when it comes to downsizing your wants and needs in a new to you trailer.

Trailers are like houses. When you are young all you want is bigger and when you get older all you want is to go smaller/downsize and get rid of all that crap that was important to you when you were 40 now that you are 60+ you no longer care about that old stuff!

Given new vehicle offerings by many of the OEM manufacturers with the exception of US trucks most vehicles are smaller and may have a different propulsion technology. SMALLER and more modern items geared for an active lifestyles continue to grow in popularity.

NOW that you are at the age with time and little money on your hands why not go smaller/simpler in the way you do most everything in your life including camping.

That's why the 16 foot and 20 Foot Basecamp REI X model with the raised suspension for a little more off-grid adventure might just the trailer for you!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 06:33 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2023 20' Basecamp
Des Moines , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by yve79 View Post
Does anyone in the basecamp 20x with kids? We’ve been looking into the Flying Cloud with Queen bed and two bunks but I am very curious about the basecamp with the tent option.

I am always sad to see that the RV A/C is never improved on though. All Airstream really should have ducted air in my opinion.
We do not have kids full time but have taken a five day trip from east coast to midwest with us , our small dog, my daughter and two grand kid.

I would not do it on a regular basis but definitely doable for short get togethers here and there. We look forward to the next time we get to all go together.

On another note, we just got our 20x last fall with plans to ease into retirement exploring and doing the whole work from home thing on the road. Where we went wrong in planning is the back bed has a very comfortable memory foam upgrade that sleeps wonderfully but makes converting the back area into tables for work or other near impossible. We both work with dual monitors so not enough room at the front table for that but when at home I love working out on the deck so have no problem working outside wherever we may be when the weather permits. Hopefully this works out but still need a longer term proof of concept.

My wife wanted to add that as far as cooking it is great to have a Blackstone for cooking outside more often just due to space. One upgrade we made on the cabinets is the push to lock/unlock so we can fill the cabinets without concern of things falling out bouncing down the road.

We travel with a Jeep Grand Cherokee which does great with the 20x but I do not believe would handle larger units so this was the main reason we went with the 20x so we could avoid also upgrading tow vehicle.
yesitsmedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 06:37 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2023 20' Basecamp
Des Moines , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsized View Post
I wonder how many people leave the bed set up all the time in the Basecamp 20. Would like e to hear pro and con comments.
We are still fairly new but yes we leave ours in bed mode full time. I posted a reply regarding kids where I explain upgraded mattresses make it somewhat permanent setup. Comfy bed but no versatility. More than enough room however it is a great place to all gather and play games even with the children bouncing and playing around (2yrs and 5 yrs)
yesitsmedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:26 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Has anyone left say, half of the aft area converted to bed space and the other as couch space on a 20 or 20X?
Or can the space in front of the rear door be converted to, and left as, 'crosswise' sleeping space?
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 01:55 PM   #18
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
That Guy!

PeterF66,

Okay, I'm going to be "that guy" and ask you to consider a different RV. I realize you didn't say anything about a Class B vehicle but the way you described your potential travels, an Interstate or Rangeline may be just the ticket.

We've not owned a Basecamp but know people who do. We know lots of people with other RV sizes and types (and brands) and it's clear to me that Class B travel would suit many people but they don't understand how to use the RV.

Traveling for a few weeks at a time is no problem in a Class B. Traveling with a dog is no problem - we know lots of people who do that with their Class B. We know lot's of people who travel to cities in their Class B's. I could go on and on about Class B travel.

A few things to think about - Everything you have with you on the trip (clothing, food, etc.) is with you at all times. Your dog can stay with you in the comfort of the motorhome with A/C on if needed. It's easy to drive and easy to set up. No need to tow a vehicle behind the motorhome - just wind up the awning, disconnect electric and you're on the way into town to meet friends, family, do some sightseeing or anything else you want to do. All the comforts of your RV with you at all times.

Driving from A to B, want to stop for lunch at a cool hole-in-the-wall joint, no problem, a Class B is easy to pull in and park just about anywhere.

Going the the city for the evening, no problem except for parking decks, and most cities have plenty of surface parking.

So... I know it's not on your radar screen but give the Interstate or Rangeline some thought. Yes, it's compact but so much easier to deal with compared to hitching, unhitching, and all that comes with a trailer.

P.S. we only hook up to electric when we camp whether we're in the trailer or the van. We use the fresh water tank and on-board pump. One less thing to connect (and disconnect) at the campsite.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 04:10 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lindenhurst , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
PeterF66,

Okay, I'm going to be "that guy" and ask you to consider a different RV. I realize you didn't say anything about a Class B vehicle but the way you described your potential travels, an Interstate or Rangeline may be just the ticket.

We've not owned a Basecamp but know people who do. We know lots of people with other RV sizes and types (and brands) and it's clear to me that Class B travel would suit many people but they don't understand how to use the RV.

Traveling for a few weeks at a time is no problem in a Class B. Traveling with a dog is no problem - we know lots of people who do that with their Class B. We know lot's of people who travel to cities in their Class B's. I could go on and on about Class B travel.

A few things to think about - Everything you have with you on the trip (clothing, food, etc.) is with you at all times. Your dog can stay with you in the comfort of the motorhome with A/C on if needed. It's easy to drive and easy to set up. No need to tow a vehicle behind the motorhome - just wind up the awning, disconnect electric and you're on the way into town to meet friends, family, do some sightseeing or anything else you want to do. All the comforts of your RV with you at all times.

Driving from A to B, want to stop for lunch at a cool hole-in-the-wall joint, no problem, a Class B is easy to pull in and park just about anywhere.

Going the the city for the evening, no problem except for parking decks, and most cities have plenty of surface parking.

So... I know it's not on your radar screen but give the Interstate or Rangeline some thought. Yes, it's compact but so much easier to deal with compared to hitching, unhitching, and all that comes with a trailer.

P.S. we only hook up to electric when we camp whether we're in the trailer or the van. We use the fresh water tank and on-board pump. One less thing to connect (and disconnect) at the campsite.

Hi - yes, we've thought about a class B camper for quite a bit, but a few things in the end made us reconsider and look at trailers. Mainly it's a much tighter space, bathrooms are problematic and if you want to do day trips you have to pack up all your campsite and stuff, beds etc. and take the whole thing with you, whereas just locking up valuables and the trailer and take the TV for day trips, grocery getting etc. Plus adding a good $100k to your price tag.
PeterF66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 05:48 AM   #20
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterF66 View Post
...and if you want to do day trips you have to pack up all your campsite and stuff, beds etc. and take the whole thing with you, whereas just locking up valuables and the trailer and take the TV for day trips, grocery getting etc. Plus adding a good $100k to your price tag.
Sounds like a trailer is for you. But it appears you're looking at this as a person who "sets up camp" rather than a person who thinks outside the box to utilize the benefits a Class B has to offer - flexibility. I understand Class B is not for everyone but it's not necessary to "set up camp" - meaning unpack all your stuff and take hours to set up and dismantle your campsite.

Beds are not an issue in my opinion. Get a Class B that has beds that don't convert to a lounge and back. Permanent beds have mattresses - not lumpy lounge seats that require thick pillow tops to make them comfortable.

I agree the compact space and compact bathroom are in fact compact. Spend some time on the Class B forum and ask questions over there.

Consider a used Class B - that's what we did and the prices are much more affordable.

In the end, a trailer may be for you. However, having a trailer and a van, as we do, I can clearly say the van would be our choice if we were limited to one RV.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote