Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 09:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Fort Walton Beach , Florida
What route should I take

Hi Friends,

What route should I take traveling from Manatee Springs State Park to DelRay Beach Fl? Iím trying to avoid the turnpike and all the tolls around Orlando.
ToddA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Well, you’re going to go through something...
If it were me, I would take 27 down to Ocala, 40 over to I95, and then down to Delray Beach.
The east-west roads in the lesser populated parts of Florida are often two lane, but with passing lanes provided every 15 miles or so. Drivers are not crazy.
There are some areas on I95 (Melbourne, Palm Bay in Brevard County) where the on ramps get loaded and the merging cars get offended if you are in the right lane when it is their slugs turn to go. I often swing into the middle lane in those areas, just like the truckers.
I MUCH prefer I95 to anything on the gulf side. That is not saying much in I95’s favor.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Thanks
ToddA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
You’re welcome.
I didn’t mean to be a thread killer, but sometimes I have that effect sometimes. If you have any interests beyond covering the miles, other forum members might chime in.
I see I wrote Rt 40 instead of Rt 60. You want to head over on 60. Sorry!
Google says it’s about a 5 1/2 hour trip (340 miles, which would be 7 hours the way I drive). Did you plan for any stops along the way? The rest stations are adequate (we haven’t actually been inside one for a year), and located at miles 228, 168, 130 something and so on. They seem to go by county, so the spacing is uneven.
On Rt 60, towards I95, there’s a town called Barberville that has a lower speed limit, the first stop sign for many miles, and a gawkworthy giant statuary display. You can imagine the result - be careful driving into that town.
Happy travels!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:03 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
When we brought our 25FB up to Ohio in March we took the Turnpike from West Palm Beach to I-75. Weíre still working, so the destination is more important than the journey at this point in our lives. If there are tolls, so be it; Iíll pay a small price for a shorter drive.

That said, the turnpike was a very relaxing drive on a Saturday morning, even through the Orlando area (most of the construction seems to have wrapped up). The toll for the entire trip was $28.00 (one way; our return was from NY via I-95). That reflects the truck and a tandem axle trailer, using SunPass. If you have a single axle trailer your toll would be less; if you donít use SunPass it would be more (SunPass is a no-brainer; you can buy one for $5.00 right at the service area on the turnpike and all your tolls that day will be billed at the SunPass rate).

Better yet (albeit a little more expensive for the initial feeóitís $18.50) is the Uni transponder from the Central Florida Expressway Authority, available on Amazon.com. Their transponder gets you the SunPass discount on all of Floridaís toll roads, and it has the added benefit of being compatible with almost every other electronic tolling system east of the Mississippi River. If you ever travel to the northeast, youíll appreciate having it because itís almost impossible to avoid tolls north of Washington DC.

Just food for thought.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote