Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2022, 06:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Weight Distribution Hitch for a 20x?

We are picking up our 2023 Basecamp 20x this week (woohoo!) and the dealer is advising we get a WDH. We are pulling with a 2020 Chevy Silverado and my friend who owns a trailer shop says I definitely do not need one for the Basecamp size and weight. Thoughts? I’m heavily leaning toward getting one just for the peace of mind since I have limited trailer pulling experience but I’m curious if there are any drawbacks to a WDH like not being able to make tight turns, go up steep hills, etc. Thanks in advance!
ErickfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Probably don't need it at all. I would get and install a friction sway control bar though.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:50 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickfromMI View Post
We are picking up our 2023 Basecamp 20x this week (woohoo!) and the dealer is advising we get a WDH. We are pulling with a 2020 Chevy Silverado and my friend who owns a trailer shop says I definitely do not need one for the Basecamp size and weight. Thoughts? I’m heavily leaning toward getting one just for the peace of mind since I have limited trailer pulling experience but I’m curious if there are any drawbacks to a WDH like not being able to make tight turns, go up steep hills, etc. Thanks in advance!
From 18yrs towing our '63 safari, EVERY Airstream will benefit from sway control & WD especially a single axle unit. We had none of your stated 'problems'.
Think of it this way...you'll have it when you up-grade to a larger Airstream...AMHIK

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-08-2022, 08:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I agree with Bob. I’d get a weight distribution hitch. I don’t see a downside other than cost. I believe that Airstream dealers often recommend the Blue Ox Track Pro for Basecamps, but ask your dealer what they recommend.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:07 AM   #5

2020 16' Caravel
Traverse City , Michigan
Hey Eric,
I’ve got an Eaz lift 800 that I’m selling….I’m in traverse city . Bought in 2021….works great. $225…
Text to 231-620-3760

I also tow with a colorado
Jmac23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I should expand some on my prior post. The correct answer is....it depends. What will your loaded basecamp TW be? What is the total loaded weight of the basecamp? What suspension is on your Silverado? What is the rear axle weight of the Silverado with the loaded basecamp, gear in the bed and passengers?

If you were using a Colorado or a midsize ( FWD) SUV I would advise, definitely get WD.

It may be that your particular numbers will firmly plant the rear suspension on its second stage leaf and you might not need WD. It may be that it is lightly planted on the second stage, which would aggravate porpousing on some road surfaces, as this makes the second stage leaf like a "trampoline".

I am currently going through this exercise with my son-in-law. He is purchasing a used popup (2007 Fleetwood Niagara) with a GVWR of 3950# (it's a big popup..14 foot box). He will be using WD, BUT, he will be towing with a 2021 Traverse with a single stage, passenger car coil spring setup. (5000# towing capacity)

I really think you're on the cusp of needing one, but I don't think it is definitive. Some 20' basecamp owners who have a realistic (ie. weighed) loaded up trailer need to chime in here.

If I were getting one for your rig, I would choose a Reese dual cam with the smallest rated bars. (600# I think).

https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc...tion_Kit,66072

Many unknowns here for your specifics.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-08-2022, 10:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Ours isn’t a Basecamp, we have a 20FB, my TV is my Sierra AT4. We use a BlueOx SwayPro, it’s a good combo. I’d expect it to serve you well.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Laurel , Maryland
Agreed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Probably don't need it at all. I would get and install a friction sway control bar though.
As this person has said, “probably not needed”
I am towing a 25’ 7k trailer using a DRW 3500 1 ton truck. I found early on when passing a semi on the highway, an UNACCEPTABLE, sway.
I put on a “Curt Sway Control” bar.

I am the 3rd owner of the trailer, and the trailer came with a WDH, so that is the drawbar I am using to attach the sway bar to, but not the distribution bars. (If my truck can’t handle 1k lb tongue weight, I have BIGGER problems!)

I have not been able to find a suitable draw bar for just a sway bar.

With the truck you have, look into JUST a sway bar and save yourself couple hundred bucks.
My suggestion is to tow it couple times, see how it handles, then decide on a sway bar. I got mine off AnoZon. Good luck, stay healthy!
Rick

PS: If you or others don’t know, when your trailer starts to sway, activate the trailer electric brake. NOT THE TOW VEHICLE BRAKE! This will save you from CATASTROPHIC FAILURE!
Rick n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 01:15 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Thanks for all the great insight. I should add that I think the hitch they sell is a combo weight distribution and sway control. I cannot remember the name. Maybe Pro Pride?
ErickfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 01:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks for all the great insight. I should add that I think the hitch they sell is a combo weight distribution and sway control. I cannot remember the name. Maybe Pro Pride?
Hmm, probably equal-izer. One of my least favorite hitches, and yes I have had one.

Old 10-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Anti sway always a good idea. Weight distribution, not necessary with your TV and the small Basecamp.
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 03:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Pro Pride would be overkill for a Basecamp, in my opinion. There are lots of good options that cost less that would work well for you.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 04:06 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fort Jones , California
I towed my 23FC with an Equalizer and it worked fine, no problems. I now tow my 20' Basecamp using something similar called an E2 Fastway... no issues thus far. sway control is a good idea even if you don't need the weight distribution..IMHO
Jack West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:19 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
North Tonawanda , New York
Have a 2022 Basecamp 20 X and found the "Equal-l-Lizer" 600/6000 weight distribution to work very well. I too have a Chevrolet Silverado half ton.
Twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twowheels View Post
Have a 2022 Basecamp 20 X and found the "Equal-l-Lizer" 600/6000 weight distribution to work very well. I too have a Chevrolet Silverado half ton.
So what is your loaded for camping tongue weight. That data would be helpful to the OP.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:41 PM   #16
ThB
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Gresham , Oregon
We have a 2021 Basecamp 20X, and tow it with a 2015 Tacoma. We’ve used an Andersen hitch for sway control and WD. I’ve towed the trailer with and without the hitch and can tell you there is no comparison. Much more stability and weight balance with Andersen. Drove in a cross wind on I-5 in northern CA, and had no trouble. And it weighs so much less than the other hitches.
ThB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThB View Post
We have a 2021 Basecamp 20X, and tow it with a 2015 Tacoma. We’ve used an Andersen hitch for sway control and WD. I’ve towed the trailer with and without the hitch and can tell you there is no comparison. Much more stability and weight balance with Andersen. Drove in a cross wind on I-5 in northern CA, and had no trouble. And it weighs so much less than the other hitches.
Completely different class of vehicle than OP has.

Old 10-08-2022, 10:13 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Felton , California
We pull our 20X with an F150. Do we need a WD hitch ... no. However, I added an Anderson Hitch after pulling the trailer for about 1K miles. When adjusted properly, it takes out the "bounce" which can be unnerving. We don't really notice much sway.

Since we are also pretty new to towing, I can't say it is any better than other options, but now that we are completing our second season of camping, I have no regrets regarding our choice, and will not be looking for another option.

I have reached out to their support team a couple of times. Their responses have been timely and very helpful.

If you choose an Anderson, remove the propane tank cover when installing it. Once the cover is off, it is easy to install.
JA15830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:58 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
DFW , Texas
Have towed our BC20X over 10K miles is the last two years without a WDH with no issues. 2018 4WD Tundra 1792 which has built in anti-sway software.

Only time I've experienced sway was early on learning towing I was changing lanes like normal instead of like a trucker and now I slowly move over. 5 seconds should be the minimum time for a lane change and try for closer to ten seconds.
Q-man13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:37 PM   #20

2022 20' Basecamp
Red Oak , Texas
Yes you CAN tow with a 4Runner

I pull our Basecamp 20X with a 2019 Toyota 4Runner. Yes, it has a very short wheelbase 109". BUT with offroad mods, with my wife and me and a full tank it weighs 5735 pounds.
With a DrawTite frame mounted hitch, and a Blue OX WD setup, we have had no issues towing it all over Texas and Oklahoma. With the short wheelbase, frankly, I'm glad it is there.

The tongue weight on ours is 463 pounds (Lithium Batteries). I did add a set of heavier rear springs due to the heavy tongue weight.

All hooked up it sits level, tows well with minimal sway, and the rig never feels like the trailer is "wagging the dog".

AMLOR
AMLOR is offline   Reply With Quote