Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #1
Meister747

2017 Basecamp
State College , Pennsylvania
Water storage tank leak and winter cover

Hi all, first time poster here. Bought a used 2017 Basecamp this summer from a private owner. Well cared for, warranty issues taken care of from what I can tell. Tried to fill up water storage tank for a camping trip and water immediately started leaking in the box tray that apparently houses the tank. Contacted previous owner about it; he said he only went to campgrounds with city water hookups. I plan to do a lot of boondocking.
Before I drop the housing box and dig into it, has anyone run into this before, and what did you do about it? Any help greatly appreciated!
Also wondering about purchasing a cover to keep the ice/snow off of it this winter. Would appreciate your thoughts on that too.
Thanks so much!
Paul
Paul Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I don’t have a Basecamp so I’m not sure I understand your description of the leak. Is there a low point drain that has been left open? This is a step during winterizing.

Covers are generally not recommended for Airstreams. They will slap the trailer while flapping around. Some folks here have them and use them without issue but the general guidance is to not cover the trailer.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:14 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard...👍

As noted above ck the tank drain, location should be in the manual.

Bob
🇺🇸

We don't cover...no need here in WNY😁 I did with our first and regretted it. Wind damage and the cover froze to the skin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8B21B96D-2AF5-4DAE-AB3A-76D575AAAD1B_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	404074   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD40C819-6D5D-477B-AE32-DA962D436AEF_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	404075  

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:03 AM   #4
Meister747

2017 Basecamp
State College , Pennsylvania
Appreciate the feedback. It's not an open drain. The leak is occurring inside the pan that holds the tank. When we started to fill the tank, it just started leaking rapidly from the seams of the pan holding the tank. I'm going to drop the pan, but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.
Really appreciate too the advice on the cover. Thanks so much!
Paul Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:05 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Paul...
The connection behind the valve is known to leak. Hose crimped, to short, or clamp not tightened.
I replaced the flange & valve with this when ours started to leak. Just add the petcock valve pictured. DAV & USA made.

Bob
🇺🇸

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote