Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2021, 07:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Cary , North Carolina
Towing a BaseCamp

We've ordered a 2021 BC that we should receive late this year. Needing a better vehicle to tow it I found a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited with the 3.2L engine, larger cooling system & battery with a factory installed class 3 hitch and 7 wire connector. Rated to tow 4500# with a tongue wght capacity of 450# it seems like it should be adequate to tow the 3500 gross weight of a BC.

My question is the hitch. Ours is through the bumper with the bottom of the receiver is 19-1/2". I think that the BC when level has the bottom of the coupling at about 21". I've never towed an RV before but am experienced at towing trailers....for which level isn't a big concern.

It seems like I'd be fine with a straight hitch to the receiver...but I'd like a more experienced opinion. Should I get a 2" drop....2" rise?

Thanks in advance.
AbstractLogc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:31 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

RALEIGH , NC
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbstractLogc View Post
We've ordered a 2021 BC that we should receive late this year. Needing a better vehicle to tow it I found a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited with the 3.2L engine, larger cooling system & battery with a factory installed class 3 hitch and 7 wire connector. Rated to tow 4500# with a tongue wght capacity of 450# it seems like it should be adequate to tow the 3500 gross weight of a BC.

My question is the hitch. Ours is through the bumper with the bottom of the receiver is 19-1/2". I think that the BC when level has the bottom of the coupling at about 21". I've never towed an RV before but am experienced at towing trailers....for which level isn't a big concern.

It seems like I'd be fine with a straight hitch to the receiver...but I'd like a more experienced opinion. Should I get a 2" drop....2" rise?

Thanks in advance.
I just went thru similar figures for a Toyota Sequoia towing a BC 20x. The key resources for weight limit criteria turned out to be a pdf copy of the BC owners manual and the Sequoia owner's manual. The most significant limit was the Sequoia needed sway control for TT over 2,000 lbs. The best method for sway control, in my opinion, turned out to be a weight distribution hitch that included sway control capabilities. One example was a Blue Ox Track Pro BLU87FR.
Crawship99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:33 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Cary , North Carolina
Thanks. I'm researching a DM hitch. Seems to be hard to find data about the fit. I'm guessing that the geometry of the tongue with the propane tanks and enclosure is an issue regarding the tongue connections for the tension bars on the DM. Is there a member who has hooked a DM to a BaseCamp16?
AbstractLogc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:13 PM   #4
knight-rider

2021 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
We towed our brand new BC 20X for 600 miles across PNW two days ago on just the tow ball; it was an out of state delivery, and I didn't get a chance to install the WD/Sway system yet. I had to buy a new tow ball mount because I miscalculated the numbers. If your TV sits low, you always need a rise (flip the mount so that the ball sits higher than the reciever). The rise length is the offset between the numbers you quoted. Refer - https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-acces...nts/learn-more
On Porsche Cayenne, I had to buy 4" rise. I originally bought 2" rise. Now I need to return it.

Regarding TV capacity, I believe you are referring to BC 16. IMHO, you are cutting a bit close on the tongue weight. Once you start loading the trailer, and add WD/Sway control, you would easily add 100-200 lbs or even more. That might put you at around 500 lbs range. You might want to rent one and tow around for few days to get an idea. I highly advice renting the exact unit once before buying it. You'll learn a LOT..
knight-rider is offline   Reply With Quote