Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #1

ann arbor , Michigan
storing my 2021 Basecamp X

Hello
I am new to RVing and have a 2021BasecampX. I live in Michigan and stay in Florida in late Fall through winter. I am in PalmHarbor/Clearwater area in winter and plan on using and outside storage facility. On rare occasion we get a few overnights of frost temps. If I just empty all water tanks and such am I OK or is there a way I can just use the Truma system with just the propane tanks as electricity won't be available. I do have the optional solar panels but I am so new to all of this. THANKS in advance
DoogieA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
In years past, I would say no worries. We seem to be experiencing weather extremes, even in Florida. Will you have time and access to respond to a forecast freeze?
It takes time for the heat to transfer from inside the trailer, and water must transfer a lot of heat before it freezes. I am not a fan of leaving systems running unattended.
We live due east of you and have never had even a close call. I would drain the lines and blow them out, and then enjoy my time in the Sunshine State.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogieA2 View Post
Hello
I am new to RVing and have a 2021BasecampX. I live in Michigan and stay in Florida in late Fall through winter. I am in PalmHarbor/Clearwater area in winter and plan on using and outside storage facility. On rare occasion we get a few overnights of frost temps. If I just empty all water tanks and such am I OK or is there a way I can just use the Truma system with just the propane tanks as electricity won't be available. I do have the optional solar panels but I am so new to all of this. THANKS in advance
Take it with you to FLA.. there is some really good camping in FLA... you spent that much to let it sit for a season unused? naaaa.

Mine will be used year round, 4th season for winter skiing, plenty of RV parks open year round with full hookups just for this.

Don't leave it behind! Tow that thing all over FLA.
kgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Short overnight temperatures (<8 hours no less than 30) are fine. 8 hours down to 28 and you should drain and blow out the fresh water lines, water heater and pump and perhaps add a bit of antifreeze to the sewer P-Traps or add some heat to keep the inside above 35. Below 25? keep the inside at 40 or higher or properly winterize.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #5

ann arbor , Michigan
Will use all winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgottleib View Post
Take it with you to FLA.. there is some really good camping in FLA... you spent that much to let it sit for a season unused? naaaa.

Mine will be used year round, 4th season for winter skiing, plenty of RV parks open year round with full hookups just for this.

Don't leave it behind! Tow that thing all over FLA.
We will definitely use in FL all winter. Our subdivision association will not allow RVs parked at home hence the storage. Just got done an overnight stay at Mt Vernon KY KOA and then Sweetwater TN KOA, both wonderful places indeed. We would love to try several campgrounds in FL for our 1st time. Thanks for the tip!!😊
DoogieA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Scottsdale , Arizona
Do I need to winterize Basecamp in Phoenix Arizona

We seldom get to freezing - maybe a day or 2, and if we do what would be my best option? Our Basecamp is in our side yard and I can plug into shore power.
Without draining -
Should I plug in and set truma to 40?
Should I just turn on the tank heater switch?
or Drain -
Should I drain and blow out the lines?
We are new and this is our first year so any help is appreciated. I think we may take it out 1-2x per month throughout the winter because we already live in the warmest place!

thanks
2Rvss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:49 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rvss View Post
We seldom get to freezing - maybe a day or 2, and if we do what would be my best option? Our Basecamp is in our side yard and I can plug into shore power.
Without draining -
Should I plug in and set truma to 40?
Should I just turn on the tank heater switch?
or Drain -
Should I drain and blow out the lines?
We are new and this is our first year so any help is appreciated. I think we may take it out 1-2x per month throughout the winter because we already live in the warmest place!

thanks
The "Should I just turn on the tank heater switch?" question -

I have this same question, only not for a day or two, but for the winter in the NE. Can the tank heaters be left on for an entire winter season without any negative repercussion? aka burning it out, or what ever term you would use for the tank heaters dying on you.

I'm trying to determine a strategy for winter camping, and yes I realize the safest bet is probably to use it completely dry.. but that defeats a lot of the purpose of owning it in the first place..

In AZ I can't imagine not using it year round, and I can't imagine having to winterize it either.. you should easily make it through a few cold nights with your tank heaters I would think, if not, I don't think AS would have so much stuff posted about winter camping etc. In the Basecamp 20 video with Bryan Melton he talks about keeping 'just' the tank heaters on to avoid freezing while you are skiing to saving propane and battery..
kgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
tanks with 25-50% water will take over 36 hours of constant below freezing to be a problem so only sustained freezes are a problem for tanks. Don't leave them filled more than 60-70% just in case you can't tend to them. Use the tank heater if you expect a sustained freeze. Do keep the inside temperature above 40 and turn on the water heater if there is going to be more than 4 -5 hours of freezing temps if the water lines are not drained. A splash of antifreeze in each of the drains is easy so do that. If you have an air compressor, blowing out the lines and draining the water heater is easy so do that in between use and risk of freeze damage drops a lot.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:37 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
tank heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgottleib View Post
The "Should I just turn on the tank heater switch?" question -

I have this same question, only not for a day or two, but for the winter in the NE. Can the tank heaters be left on for an entire winter season without any negative repercussion? aka burning it out, or what ever term you would use for the tank heaters dying on you.

I'm trying to determine a strategy for winter camping, and yes I realize the safest bet is probably to use it completely dry.. but that defeats a lot of the purpose of owning it in the first place..

In AZ I can't imagine not using it year round, and I can't imagine having to winterize it either.. you should easily make it through a few cold nights with your tank heaters I would think, if not, I don't think AS would have so much stuff posted about winter camping etc. In the Basecamp 20 video with Bryan Melton he talks about keeping 'just' the tank heaters on to avoid freezing while you are skiing to saving propane and battery..
Hi all, had a great summer camping season with the 20X and am now preparing for a Thanksgiving road trip to the southeast (wanting to leave water systems running and not winterize until after that trip). In the meantime I live in Colorado and we got our first snow today…temps will be lows of 25-35 and highs in 40/50s all week. Trailer is parked at my house this week so thankfully I’m plugged into shore power…I have tank heaters flipped on and may sleep in the trailer tonight so i can keep the furnace running too (& avoid leaving running systems unattended if possible).

Wanted to circle back to the tank heater discussion…. whats the longest you’ve left your tank heaters on? Weeks at a time? In the nighttime temps I’m expecting this week should I definitely plan to have furnace on at night too, or will tank heaters be enough? Thanks for any wisdom!!
SPRider is offline   Reply With Quote