Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #41
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
Ahhh...increase wire gauge add an up-to-date controller. That will be the easiest start.
And panel efficiency has gotten a lot better since we first tried solar in 2010.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-27-2021, 07:11 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Aloha , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
A suitcase portable that has its own controller could plug into the lower port. Both panels would charge.
One would shut down as the amp requirement lessens.
(my experience using two suitcase panels, each with it's own controller)

Bob
🇺🇸
I have one suitcase panel (120 watts) and want to add a second one. How is the second one connected?
roc97007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:23 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Felton , California
I thought I would ask this question here since there seems to be a lot of people on this thread that know what they are talking about:

What gauge wire did Airstream use on the tongue solar port?

I am using 25' of 10 AWG cable from the suitcase to the port. I want to make sure I am not trying to pump too much through wires between the port and the batteries.

We have the 180 watt factory solar on top, and I add a 200 watt Renogy suitcase when camping in the shade. Our electrical use is minimal: Fridge, lights, fan (if hot) and maybe 15 minutes of furnace in the AM and PM if cold). We just spent four nights in Big Sur, and we were able top off our batteries each day with about three hours of sun.
JA15830 is offline   Reply With Quote