Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
DUBLIN , OH
So why did I have to paint my 2022 Airstream A Frame

Rust...

Airstream Continues to use Galvanized Screws..( It is apparently an ongoing Common issue.

I looked at the front frame..and opened the Front Propane Cover and noticed
Rust Buildup on all of the attachment points..

This rust had moved to the wiring area and settled below the propane tanks.

I thought wait..this is supposed to be an "outdoor" trailer..why use this type of system

I took the front unit apart and have applied a professional grade exterior paint..

Will let it dry and install plastic/Stainless Steel washers and High Grade Stainless Steel Screws
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022BaseCamp.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	405968  
Philisophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Normal. I've painted my 2019 several times. It's probably due to the environment you live and travel in.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
DUBLIN , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
Normal. I've painted my 2019 several times. It's probably due to the environment you live and travel in.
Understood..But I will not have to concern myself with rust on this portion of the TT..because I will spend the $ 5.99 on stainless steel parts...
Old 10-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard...👍

Nice Job.....👍

The frames come painted from the contractor and AS is not inclined to ask for...say, a quality frame paint or, in the $150k range...powder coating.

Bob
🇺🇸

BTW I've never painted ours...😂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	619CCC2B-887D-4B15-8685-BE29F2F6E089_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	405971   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEADF24A-04C8-43D6-8D8D-8C014B55095D_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	405972  

Love for the Adirondacks

Instead of going to ’Starbucks…I make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
DUBLIN , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Nice Job.....👍

The frames come painted from the contractor and AS is not inclined to ask for...say, a quality frame paint or, in the $150k range...powder coating.

Bob
🇺🇸

Thanks..Didnt Know That..I thought AirStream Was The Contractor..

Nontheless I will do a Professional Grade Finish..( recoat) Then stainless ...

And will as others have done..review the entire unit
Old 10-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
IMO, there is no reason to use galvanized or zinc plated fasteners on a trailer. But the frames are steel so Airstream may be justifying it based on that concept...but you can't 'paint' the threaded surfaces of bolts or nuts, or screws after the fact and expect no rust. Not wise.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Pur or powdercoat

Paint touch-up is an annual part of rolling stock maintenance in my experience.

And watch out for powder coat... it can hide corrosion you will want to see before it gets further out of hand. Steel engine mounts for small aircraft were commonly powder coated for a time - some still are - but paint reveals hair line cracks much earlier.

I have used PUR and two-part epoxy paint in the past in both dry and marine environments. While mostly effective, tough coatings, after all the hassle and the toxic considerations, I was given the nick-name of "rattle can" for adopting the practice of frequent inspection, prep and spray. Much cheaper and anyone can do it without special painting equipment or DNA-deforming concoctions.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Guelph , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philisophe View Post
Rust...

I took the front unit apart and have applied a professional grade exterior paint..
What paint did you use?
Thanks!
rich.dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Thousand Oaks , California
Galvanized screws actually help protect the frame from corrosion and rust.

The zinc coating acts as a sacrificial metal to protect the iron/steel it is in contact with as a sacrificial anode.

In marine applications, all metallic components under the waterline usually have a zinc sacrificial anode attached to them to divert corrosion.
Seanlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
DUBLIN , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowbridge View Post
IMO, there is no reason to use galvanized or zinc plated fasteners on a trailer. But the frames are steel so Airstream may be justifying it based on that concept...but you can't 'paint' the threaded surfaces of bolts or nuts, or screws after the fact and expect no rust. Not wise.
I accept this..

I Will not paint the threaded surfaces of any nut and bolt

They will be replaced where needed and as needed.With Powers Thread Coated Wedge Bolts 316 Stainless Steel

I use a " Rust Convertor/Neutralizer.

Then

High Grit Fine Swedish Sandpaper Between Coats..( Flawless Paper's)

Then two coats of Rust Preventative/First Coat High Gloss/Then Satin Black
Old 10-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
By the way, corrosion will always attack the least resistant metal surface. So using stainless steel screws will actually encourage the mild steel frame to be more susceptible to rusting/oxidation.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
DUBLIN , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanlb View Post
Galvanized screws actually help protect the frame from corrosion and rust.

The zinc coating acts as a sacrificial metal to protect the iron/steel it is in contact with as a sacrificial anode.

In marine applications, all metallic components under the waterline usually have a zinc sacrificial anode attached to them to divert corrosion.
As I worked with Military Equipment subject to "Harsh" enviroments we would Never work with any screws /nuts or bolts that were 'Zinc' especially if they would come in contact with any other contrasting metal... Many of the zinc screws are made in China and sold in bulk..and are of limited value..

I understand rust can occur..Period but this is a Brand new Basecamp..I did not expect to see the amount of rust..this soon..In fact due to these price points I was taken back

In addition there is rust in the door base trim..Which I will have to remove.

Airstream will not change based on my experience..I posted to be helpful to others that may want to review the unit..

As noted

They will be replaced where needed and as needed.With Powers Thread Coated Wedge Bolts 316 Stainless Steel/ and Fiber/Plastic Washers

Then

Old 10-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
DUBLIN , OH
Quote:
By the way, corrosion will always attack the least resistant metal surface. So using stainless steel screws will actually encourage the mild steel frame to be more susceptible to rusting/oxidation.

I have followed these guidelines for over 30 years..and have not had any rust issues..Most people will not go to the "extreme" but due to the experience with these types of problems it is nonissue..

On the Airstream it will take a few hours period..But Bubba will not touch this unit

I just finished installing over $ 100,00 dollars of Premium Metal Windows

Custom copper/where needed/Press Brake Stainless Steel Flashing where needed..Marine Grade Stainless Screws/Nails

Of Note

They will be replaced where needed and as needed.With Powers Thread Coated Wedge Bolts 316 Stainless Steel

Then

Old 10-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
DUBLIN , OH
Quote:
Nice Job.....👍

Bob
🇺🇸

Bob Your frame unpainted actually looks very good compared to my New One...
Old 10-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Seems difficult to obtain any hardware that doesn’t originate from china these days, however zinc coatings are your friend.

See the attached document, it covers more than you’d probably want to read…

Epoxies are buried in there too..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Coatings_GN_e-Jan17.pdf (4.53 MB, 11 views)
Old 10-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
DUBLIN , OH
Quote:
I respectfully disagree..with correct preventative maintenance..this should not have happened..The " contractors" shot these frames "as is"
quality control was not there..

In addition.. I so no evidence of a primed substrate..however when I get underneath I will see..

Then

Old 10-11-2021, 02:25 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
DUBLIN , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich.dev View Post
What paint did you use?
Thanks!

Most people do not use Rust Converters .In many cases they do not know such exists.We use them on all exposed metal..However..There is an art to using them ..timing..

In fact most individuals will do nothing to "convert" the rust and then get upset when it returns..

When I use rust converters../then Prime../then light sand..then base coat/then fine sand/then final coat

I do not ..fight rust ..

Please read this article..

Benefits of Rust Converter & Remover

Restores vehicles, parts, and tools. If you’re disappointed by the damage rust and corrosion causes, you can use a rust converter and remover to eliminate it. These products are great for antique or classic vehicles, and they’re also helpful if you live in a region where weather causes rust to form easily. You can use a rust converter to bring your car back to life, removing any rust present and protecting against future corrosion.
Saves time and energy. Trying to clean up rust and salvage corroded parts and pieces is incredibly time-consuming and energy-wasting. Aside from using a rust converter, your only real option is to grind or sand away the rust — which can cause a whole new set of problems. Instead of wasting hours slowly chipping away at years of corrosion, use a rust converter that applies in seconds and gets rid of rust quickly.
Prevents future corrosion. In addition to cleaning up rust in very little time, a rust converter and remover also helps protect your metal parts, surfaces, tools, and more. Once applied, these double-duty products help coat your metal items in a protective layer of chemicals, keeping future rust and corrosion at bay. This will save you even more time, money, and effort down the line when you don’t have to fight back rust every single season. This can also stop corrosion in its tracks, preventing rust from spreading and taking over more of your metal.
Saves money.

With an affordable rust converter and remover, you’re going to save money by tackling the problem before it becomes bigger (and more expensive to fix). Instead of having to pay to replace entire parts, panels, or even tools, you can catch rust before it spreads. This helps you prevent costly problems and keep them manageable so you can save more of your hard-earned cash.

As for the paints.. on almost all small projects I will use a marine grade exterior.

https://www.rustoleum.com/en/product.../topside-paint
Old 10-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philisophe View Post
Bob Your frame unpainted actually looks very good compared to my New One...
I've had some grey cells retire, but I seem to recall that AS changed the supplier several years back.
But....out of sight out of mind.👎

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

Instead of going to ’Starbucks…I make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:14 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
DUBLIN , OH
Quote:
I've had some grey cells retire, but I seem to recall that AS changed the supplier several years back.
But....out of sight out of mind.👎

Bob
🇺🇸
I spoke to Airstream Rep Last week..Very Courteous.. I asked about the difficulty on purchasing. He said they had over 200 Units on their location but could not get parts..

He said they have mattress shipments located in the port in Los Angeles they cannot get to the factory..

And If I wanted to purchase a New Basecamp it would be 2023

There is little one can do about the ongoing issues with Chinese/Taiwanese manufacturers. A client manufacturer I spoke with stated that if we have deeper “political “ issues with China much of American Manufacturing would crumble overnight.

Enough SoapBox
Old 10-11-2021, 05:52 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
The entire supply chain is unraveling. We aren’t able to get anything that contains arm chips.

Steel and aluminum prices are continuing on a skyward trajectory. Not to mention skyrocketing labor costs, since factory labor has been severely impacted by the ongoing pandemic unemployment insurance claims (especially here in California).

We have hundreds of container ships sitting off the port in Santa Monica bay because the port and railways are also struggling with a labor shortage.

This goes far beyond toilet paper.