Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #241
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
Link worked. Thanks! I am trying to figure our the new air flow path based on the fix. Gail - Is your BC getting this now?

Ours is having it done as we speak. Parts were to arrive today. Once we get it back I’ll give an update when we get it back... here in Texas so plenty of warm weather still to come
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:18 PM   #242
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae and Ann View Post
Ours is having it done as we speak. Parts were to arrive today. Once we get it back I’ll give an update when we get it back... here in Texas so plenty of warm weather still to come
Super, thanks! Looking forward to your update.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #243
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Better quality version of the fridge fix TSB #172

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vm8dvpjwkf...to%20.pdf?dl=0
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #244
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
[QUOTE=MrKenmore;2014665]Better quality version of the fridge fix TSB #172

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vm8dvpjwkf...to%20.pdf?dl=0[/QUOT

That is much better, thank you!!!
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #245
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
Better quality version of the fridge fix TSB #172
. . .
Thanks for the excellent quality copy of the TSB. Hard to see one mechanic doing a top-quality job for all this in 2 1/2 hours IMO. If Airstream is telling dealers that 2.5 hours is the upper limit for reimbursement of their labor cost, there may be a few "rush jobs" done, with a corresponding drop in quality IMO.

I would be sure to talk with the Service Dept. manager about doing the job right, and AS's reimbursement policy above the 2.5 hours.

Good luck, all!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #246
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Interesting post on the BC Issues thread.

[click on arrow in quote to go to that thread]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
Just used my BC after the refrigerator recall “solution.” The news is not good. Got a new fridge, another battery and the fans. The fans run constantly on power or propane and they are LOUD. They also make the shroud over the propane tanks very hot. On propane, the noise inside the trailer is unbearable. There is a loud constant whining/buzzing sound that never abates. Earplugs didn’t work. I had to sleep with a pillow around my head. Airstream Corporate are you listening? This is not a fix and is totally unacceptable!
Old 10-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #247
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Could someone with a "fixed" Basecamp fridge system please post some decibel levels for the new fan noise? The Basecamp Issues general thread is getting clogged up with fridge issues.

Bborzell posted great temp data earlier in this thread dedicated to the fridge problems. Having new data on the fan(s) noise levels would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
I apologize if this is a repeat of another post. I write them and they disappear. This is about the refrigerator replacement/recall. It is a new Dometic fridge. I don’t have the model number, the paperwork is with the trailer in storage. With the three fans and the constant screaming of the fridge and the fans I would not consider it a fix. I am not willing to make any changes to the setup myself. It might void the warranty. But I have notified the dealer and corporate that i am NOT accepting this “fix.” It makes the trailer uninhabitable, and I dry camp almost 100% of the time. Even plugged in to power, off of propane, the fans run constantly and are very loud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
I am not surprised to hear of the excessive noise. I had one of the first unsuccessful fan fixes and, with only one fan, we were unable to get a decent night’s sleep. I can only imagine the added noise from two loud fans.

This is the first I have heard about the fridge fix including replacing the fridge. Did Airstream or the dealer determine that your original fridge was faulty apart from the heat venting issue or has AS changed from the original fridge to another make/model?

If the latter, can you tell us what fridge is now in your Basecamp?
Quote:
The fridge on propane finally cooled and started freezing the food in the refrigerator section. The fans are loud but the noise inside the trailer is intolerable. High pitched whining/ buzzing and it never stops. . The noise from the fans was outside and was loud, but not the same as inside. Needed earplugs and a pillow around my head to sleep. This is not a solution AIRSTREAM. I am not accepting this and I’m not installing anything myself. The fridge should be on the side with unobstructed ventilation like every other trailer. AIRSTREAM NEEDS TO COME UP WITH A WORKABLE SOLUTION, NOT A WORKAROUND.
Quote:
Just used my BC after the refrigerator recall “solution.” The news is not good. Got a new fridge, another battery and the fans. The fans run constantly on power or propane and they are LOUD. They also make the shroud over the propane tanks very hot. On propane, the noise inside the trailer is unbearable. There is a loud constant whining/buzzing sound that never abates. Earplugs didn’t work. I had to sleep with a pillow around my head. Airstream Corporate are you listening? This is not a fix and is totally unacceptable!
Old 10-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #248
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Tucson , Arizona
2018 AS Basecamp Refrigerator Performance

Hello Basecampers,
Below provided is my first “test” after the Refrigerator TSB 172 procedure was performed on my 2018 Basecamp.
I would like to note that I did my “test” with an empty refrigerator which is not the correct method. I have had RVs in the past and I always have the refrigerator on for one day with shore power to come to temperature, then transfer the already cold groceries/etc. from the house refrigerator and let come to back to temperature.Then I switch the refrigerator to propane when we are on the road to destination.
Also I would like to mention that the refrigerator that comes with my unit is factory temperature set – there are no controls available to adjust the temperature – this is something that I have never come across before. My other comment is that it is a cheap refrigerator.
So here are the results (in my opinion – it maintains temperature in the safe zone) with no load in the refrigerator:

10/10/2017:
AS TSB 172 Performed on 2018 AS Basecamp. Basecamp is in Tucson, Arizona.
AS Basecamp has Solar Panel Option and now two (2) AGM Batteries to accommodate TSB 172.
Dealer said freezer at 11 degrees F and refrigerator section at 38.8 deg F. Used standard refrigerator dial thermometers.Dealer not at all clear on length of time refrigerator was on propane and test procedure.Ambient testing in 90 deg F temperatures in the shade.Fan is on 100% of time either on shore power or propane.Fan is loud on outside of unit.Fan is relatively quiet inside unit (best described as quiet hum – presents no issue for us - it is not unbearable).Dealer said refrigerator performance was 38.8 deg F. This would be marginal in my opinion – I did not bother dealer anymore regarding the testing method as I said I would perform my own testing and get back with them.
Returned home and basecamp parked outside in direct sun between 12noon – 7:30pm. Outside temperature ranged from 95 to 88 deg F.during this time.
At 7:30 pm turned on refrigerator using shore power. Outside temperature:88 deg. F.
10/12/2017:
At 4:30am and an outside temperature of 67 deg. F.: Opened door: Freezer – ice cubes frozen solid. Refrigerator section: 28 deg. F. as measured with Taylor 3507 refrigerator thermometer.Had refrigerator door open about 15 seconds then shut door.Waited a couple of minutes to verify temperature:Refrigerator section warmed up to about 32 deg. F.This is not surprising as there is no food in refrigerator helping to maintain temperature.It has been my experience with RV refrigerators the temperature quickly reduces when door is left open for too long even with a cold food load.
Set refrigerator to run only on propane. Unplugged shore power.
Refrigerator fan continues to run at same noise level mentioned above.
Vehicle remained outside (full southern exposure) in direct sun again from 4:30am (no sun) – 12:30pm.
Temperature range during this time: 67 up to 91 deg F.
At 12:30 pm opened door to verify temperatures under propane (no food inside main compartment).
Freezer – ice cubes frozen solid. Refrigerator section: 32 deg. F.
Solar panel display indicated 100% batteries charged (even after 8 hours on battery only and sun between 7am – 12:30pm).
Note that the 32 deg. F. is the same as the 4:30am reading after rechecking temperature with door open.
So, these are the results of my first “test”. In about a week or so I will perform another “test” with a cold food load according the procedure I above described.
So in summary, I think the TSB 172 procedure may be working (but the jury is still out) at least in my unit.
As a final note, I am just sharing my experience.
Best Regards,
RocIngersol
Tucson, Arizona
RocIngersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #249
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Roc, well done!

Not sure how much a basic decibel-level meter costs, but it would be very helpful if you could quantify the fan's sound levels inside and out. I realize this is not your responsibility, but adding the sound data would fill in a big missing data gap IMO.

Also, knowing how long your batteries last without shore power would be good to know. Again, not your job but your thoroughness might prompt you to try the battery longevity test once maybe? How long before the voltage level drops to 12.2 [considered about 50% of capacity, at least for flooded cell batteries]? Would they make it through a full winter [longer] night? Guessing maybe not IMO.

Thanks again for your detailed report!

Petet
Old 10-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #250
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
There are a couple cheap iPhone apps that give a decibel reading...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #251
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
There are a couple cheap iPhone apps that give a decibel reading...

Double check those apps for correctness. I checked my IPhone app using a pro quality dB meter and the app was off by 5 to 15 dB in most cases. Trading were not consistent.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #252
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Trading should be Readings. Darn auto spell.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #253
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Trading should be Readings. Darn auto spell.
Hi

... since I never have typo's ...

Even with a good meter, using them is almost as much art as science. In a small space like a Basecamp, position of the meter will impact the data a *lot*. Working out what it all means ... not so easy.

You can get stuff that probably will do better than a phone app for < $30. A good one is a bit more. How much more depends a lot on how picky you are.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #254
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Of course, Bob, you realize that "typo's" is also a typo? [vs. "typos" per Merriam Webster]

Old 10-14-2017, 10:53 PM   #255
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nobody expects the grammar police....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:57 AM   #256
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Couldn't resist Bob's smiley face after his "typo's" comment.

IMO he has a good and resilient sense of humor.

There are far too many typos here to comment on each and every one! I have better things to do.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:13 AM   #257
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocIngersol View Post
. . .
In about a week or so I will perform another “test” with a cold food load according the procedure I above described.
. . .
Thanks again for your thorough report. In addition to any decibel levels you can quantify, it would also be helpful for your upcoming test to include fridge performance while towing in hot weather. This Simple Survey thread, and also the "fridge working" thread, contain good discussions about air pressure -- on the fridge's front-mounted exhaust vent -- possibly affecting performance adversely.

Is the new fan set up strong enough to overcome the significant frontal air pressure while towing? Static performance is of course important, but if the fridge heats up above 40 F during towing in 90+ weather, what is the point?

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Similarly, if the Basecamp is on a campground site, which results in significant winds hitting the front of the trailer, will the new fan system be able to exhaust the hot air correctly, as the propane enclosure bakes in the sun, reaching temps of 140 F or so? See Bborzell's posts here and on the "fridge works" thread. Without an awning to keep the exhaust vent in the shade, Airstream has aligned many bad design parameters to challenge the front-mounted, and flue-less, fridge IMO.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #258
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Of course, Bob, you realize that "typo's" is also a typo? [vs. "typos" per Merriam Webster]

Hi

I'm so glad *somebody* caught that !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #259
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Nobody expects the grammar police....

Please see recent posts.

Thanks Bob.

Peter
Old 10-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #260
John & Kris

Currently Looking...
Aiken , South Carolina
Fridge Fix Loud Noise

I talked with Airestream regarding the loud noise with the Fridge Fix. They have put a small thin rubber pad between the fan and the mounting point and that seems to have solved the sound problem.

We are in the process of getting a BC20187 that was used once and the owner moved up to a larger AS. We have discovered that our Unit has the axle recall and the Fridge Fix with 2nd battery so we contacted our dealer in re the rubber pad so we will see how this works out.
John