Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Georgetown , Alabama
Rhino line/ line-x

Has anyone rhino lined the front panels or front of the unit to make it more durable off-road?
Mercerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
No, but I have seen several.plder ones which have black coating on the front and as it ages it looks Fugly.. Now it comes in other colors, so a silver gray might be fine.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:36 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Georgetown , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
No, but I have seen several.plder ones which have black coating on the front and as it ages it looks Fugly.. Now it comes in other colors, so a silver gray might be fine.

I’ve seen the colors and I agree, the silver gray would be the ok. Didn’t know the weight it would add to the panels if coated or if Airstream planned on adding option based on 24x.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
The rock guards came with a 3M film on them -- at least mine did. In general they aren't expensive to replace I'm told, if you can get one (shortage at the moment).

That side, line-x is *heavy* stuff. I don't think I'd want the extra tongue weight/decreased capacity. I don't have numbers off hand, but it causes noticeable sag when applied to the bed of a pickup.

Another option to consider would be to have the guards high-end powder-coated. Some of the new powder coats are more durable than the rubberized spray-on liners, and also lighter weight. They also don't wear off easily. Then again, properly applied line-x/rhino liner doesn't wear off really at all. That's why it's rubberized, after all.
dkmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
I just had my rear bumper and propane tank cover powder coated with a textured, silver vein finish. Forget Rhino, and the others. They won't last before it detaches from any surface it's applied to, despite what any authorized dealer may promise. You've got about 2 years at most. I've had the pleasure of peeling my neighbor's vehicle after it had been Rhino coated a year ago...
Hannibal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal01 View Post
I just had my rear bumper and propane tank cover powder coated with a textured, silver vein finish. Forget Rhino, and the others. They won't last before it detaches from any surface it's applied to, despite what any authorized dealer may promise. You've got about 2 years at most. I've had the pleasure of peeling my neighbor's vehicle after it had been Rhino coated a year ago...
Where did you have it done? Do you have any pictures of the end result?
dkmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
Sandpoint, Idaho... The cost was $175. I may have the segment protectors done also but removing, and replacing the rubber or plastic gaskets behind each panel and removing and replacing the moulding as well is time consuming. The end result was very appealing. Any small impacts made by stones or other debris, scratches, etc. are now unnoticeable. The textured surface can be recoated in the future. The costs of powder coating was considerable less than replacement and the overall appearance to my AS is superior. Rhino coatings will remove the clear from any AS trailer should anyone chose to apply it to the body of their travel trailer. It looks terrible, and it won't last. It's not a practical solution....
Old 09-08-2021, 06:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Georgetown , Alabama
Great to know an alternative to rhino, powder coatings. Thanks
Old 09-08-2021, 06:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
There are tough vinyl wraps which you could have applied to the trailer or do it yourself and add graphics to enhance the look. RuggedWrapDIY is a tough vinyl wrap made for off road vehicles which I believe you could also apply and remove without damaging the finish or clear on your AS. Normal vinyl wraps could be layered as well, and applied to the exterior without damage to the vehicle's finish.... Just a few other options to consider...