Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2021, 05:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Beloit , Wisconsin
One more picture/question on my 2018 Basecamp

Hi all,

I can't pick up my new to me basecamp until the second week of April. That's the first slot they have available for the orientation/overnight stay, so I decided to drive the 5 hours to actually put my eyes on it on Monday. I spent about 2 hours hanging out around it. It's in even better shape than the dealership pictures alluded to. Some very minor flaws here and there, but overall in great condition. It was bought there back in 2018 and traded in on a new 2021 Basecamp 20. I did check the floor around the refrigerator and the shower. Everything seemed really solid without any discoloration to the flooring material. There was some dampness under the Airstream welcome mat by the entry door, possibly caused by it being put down too quickly after they cleaned the floor after their open house? I did ask the sales manager about the refrigerator. He pulled the service records and told me that the recall work was completed on it. My question is, I noticed some silicone(pic attached) oozing out of the lower right hand corner by the hinge. Is this something that is normal that should be there? Do they bond the refrigerator in place so you can't pull it out? Overall, I love it--Considering that I couldn't find anything even remotely close in price and the fact that the warm stone/white interior and solar options aren't easy to find on these earlier models, signing off on this would be hard not to do! The dealership has been awesome--super responsive and so welcoming. From the sales side(a ton of high res pics and answers to every question) to the financing(3.55% for 180 months--plan is to pay it off in 24 mo) I can't wait until I can actually get the thing in my driveway!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basecamp refrigetator.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	391719  
916WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
Not sure

Just checked out the bezel around my fridge and no silicone. I’m pretty sure you have a different fridge. Mine is a 12v and it looks like the bezel is held in by 4 screws and then the fridge can be pulled out. May you could ask the dealer to do the same if possible and see what is back there.
Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Delta , BC
Silicone solve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916WI View Post
Hi all,

I can't pick up my new to me basecamp until the second week of April. That's the first slot they have available for the orientation/overnight stay, so I decided to drive the 5 hours to actually put my eyes on it on Monday. I spent about 2 hours hanging out around it. It's in even better shape than the dealership pictures alluded to. Some very minor flaws here and there, but overall in great condition. It was bought there back in 2018 and traded in on a new 2021 Basecamp 20. I did check the floor around the refrigerator and the shower. Everything seemed really solid without any discoloration to the flooring material. There was some dampness under the Airstream welcome mat by the entry door, possibly caused by it being put down too quickly after they cleaned the floor after their open house? I did ask the sales manager about the refrigerator. He pulled the service records and told me that the recall work was completed on it. My question is, I noticed some silicone(pic attached) oozing out of the lower right hand corner by the hinge. Is this something that is normal that should be there? Do they bond the refrigerator in place so you can't pull it out? Overall, I love it--Considering that I couldn't find anything even remotely close in price and the fact that the warm stone/white interior and solar options aren't easy to find on these earlier models, signing off on this would be hard not to do! The dealership has been awesome--super responsive and so welcoming. From the sales side(a ton of high res pics and answers to every question) to the financing(3.55% for 180 months--plan is to pay it off in 24 mo) I can't wait until I can actually get the thing in my driveway!!
That seems to be the “quick fix” the dealers were doing to help solve the water leak issue. It doesn’t. On the 2018 model (if not others?) the fridge venting behind the propane tanks on the front is notorious for letting water in. Airstream had attempted a few band-aid solutions, but the silicone one you have doesn’t solve the problem, it just contains the water under the fridge.
There are a few threads on here about the issue, with no perfect solves that i found, so i solved it myself. I built a “rain stick” of sorts that mounts on the front when parked. It diverts the water coming off of the front roof line, and takes it away from the trailer. This way it doesn’t run down the front face and enter the fridge vents.
This has absolutely eliminated the rain water from entering the trailer, and we camp in the rain a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30BB3390-807F-40E8-A47E-E342EA0D869F.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	472.0 KB
ID:	395653  
davewear is offline   Reply With Quote