Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2004, 05:19 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Re: Say it ain't so, Wally

Quote:
Originally posted by argosy20

I have the camping kit for a (sp)Aztek sitting in my living room. Anybody want it?
Terry
Got a picture? might work on my redneck special
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:27 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Did anyone else get the Airstreamer newsletter that had links to articles on the Basecamp last week? None of those links now work, anyone know more on what's going on here?

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:46 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Yuck! Wet canvas in an Airstream.

I hate the idea of all that wet canvas stuffed into my Airstream. For my money, I'd get the attached instead of a Base Camp:

http://tinycamper.com/topsecret

Note the similar shape, but no canvas, and probably quite a bit cheaper.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:07 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Here's the link...

John -- I agree, the original link was worthless; it is in format "/airstream/company/docs/AS_BC_ss.pdf" if you look in the lower left of the window as the cursor runs across the link on the Airstreamer Newsletter. I've never seen a weblink for Airstream quite like that.

I tried combining the above with the format of the preceeding article on the Safari SE (Woo-hoo!), which format is "http://www.airstream.com/airstream/company/docs/SE_Safari_Brochure.pdf" and it sure looks suggestive to just change the bit after the last diagonal slash. I did that on Saturday and it sure was a dead link! I repeated that again right now, using "http://www.airstream.com/airstream/company/docs/AS_BC_ss.pdf" and it is a live link!!! That is the link I used and it works! Here you go: The Airstream Basecamp

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:34 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Great! Thanks! Wonder if it's actually for sale yet? What could be the hold up?

John
Old 07-25-2005, 06:38 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
FYI...as the WBCCI Bylaws are currently written, the Base Camp does not appear to meet the criteria of being 'fully self-contained' & 'hard-sided'. As such, it would not be eligible for WBCCI membership....even with the recent Amendment accepted at this year's International.

This was one of the biggest concerns at the Delegates Meeting...the delegates supported 'pre-1975, non-fully self-contained, hard-sided Airstreams' (including those without grey &/or black water tanks) being eligible for membership, but did not want to open the door to the soft-sided Base Camp or other non-self-contained products made by Airstream (like T@B). If a Base Camp owner is ever to be allowed to join the WBCCI, the bylaws will have to be modified once again....no small feat!

Given, those that would most likely be interested in purchasing the Base Camp are probably not interested in WBCCI Membership.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:40 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
The question is, would a Base camp owner want to join the WBCCI? Would they want his Quad-4 backing out of that thing and zooming around the rally? Hmm, not sure they would be compatible!

John
Old 07-25-2005, 06:48 PM   #48
Craftsman

Quote:
I am sure if you contact Airstream's commercial department they will sell you a shell as you like it. With or without whatever windows you want, etc Brett G
WBCCI #5501
I did contact Airstream about buying a 34' minus the interior, but they said that the commerical dept. would work with me and custom build an interior but they wouldn,t sell just a shell.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:11 PM   #49
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Horse camp?

I hadn't seen that pic yet. At first glance, it looks like someone backed their horse trailer into a tent.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. The devil made me do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horse camp.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	13534  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:36 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Ok, I don't understand why any WBCCI club would oppose having an Airstream owner join in. So what if it's not self-contained! It's not as if the point of WBCCI is dumping! Well, at least it isn't to me...

This trailer is marketed for entry level rvers--just the folks who will be buying bigger Airstreams in the future. Alienate them now and they probably will never join the club--even if they might have considered it otherwise. Oh, well, attitudes like this just get me depressed about WBCCI.

Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
FYI...as the WBCCI Bylaws are currently written, the Base Camp does not appear to meet the criteria of being 'fully self-contained' & 'hard-sided'. As such, it would not be eligible for WBCCI membership....even with the recent Amendment accepted at this year's International.

This was one of the biggest concerns at the Delegates Meeting...the delegates supported 'pre-1975, non-fully self-contained, hard-sided Airstreams' (including those without grey &/or black water tanks) being eligible for membership, but did not want to open the door to the soft-sided Base Camp or other non-self-contained products made by Airstream (like T@B). If a Base Camp owner is ever to be allowed to join the WBCCI, the bylaws will have to be modified once again....no small feat!

Given, those that would most likely be interested in purchasing the Base Camp are probably not interested in WBCCI Membership.

Shari
Old 07-26-2005, 06:14 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Attracting younger people

I am in total agreement about attracting younger buyers. I'm in my 30s and make a good living, but the idea of dropping 30K+ on a new unit was not realistic. I went vintage and loving it! It provided me an opportunity to buy in to Airstreaming and join the club without breaking the bank. I'm already on the lookout for my next unit!

Basecamp would have been a cool option.

The people in the WBCCI are great and IMO the larger club should do more to attract younger members. As part of that, these antique bylaws should be re-done to allow new products from Airstream.

Keep in mind that being elitists will drive away people and spur someone, who doesn't have to abide by antiquated laws, to start new maybe as far as creating their own club.

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:29 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Maybe they could make tents in the $200 range and put an AIRSTREAM name tag on them.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:18 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
I am confused...Airstream makes T@B????
Old 07-28-2005, 06:28 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Ok, I don't understand why any WBCCI club would oppose having an Airstream owner join in. So what if it's not self-contained! It's not as if the point of WBCCI is dumping! Well, at least it isn't to me...

This trailer is marketed for entry level rvers--just the folks who will be buying bigger Airstreams in the future. Alienate them now and they probably will never join the club--even if they might have considered it otherwise. Oh, well, attitudes like this just get me depressed about WBCCI.

Mary
Well, do you remember a time when Argosys were not allowed membership in the WBCCI? I do.
The by-laws had stated that the trailer had to be built an Airstream factory. Argosy was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Airstream. That kept the elitist status.
When membership waned they changed the by-laws to allow Argosys.
I guess that means that when it wanes more than it is now, you will see them include the Base Camp, if it is ever built and sold to the general public.
It is all driven by dollars. Fewer members means fewer dollars.
I like the WBCCI but I have not joined with my Argosy yet. This fall's local buddy rally may very well change that.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:27 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

T@B is another THOR product. It is not made by Airstream, but was inspired by Airstream. It is a remarkable product, handsome and practical. I would buy one for my second trailer in a minute.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #56
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Louisville RV show looks a cut above what we get around here. If it ain't white they don't show it. Thanx for the pix.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:04 PM   #57

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva

Mary
Mary, our unit went round and round on this topic at our spring rally meeting. We had a few stand up and say if it isn't like ours we shouldn't let them in. They don't want those other Airstreams coming to their rallys dumping their wastes on the ground......(sure I remember I always dumped my porta potti on the ground when I had my pop up trailer .....give me a break.:

A few others stood up and noted 1. Early Airstreams weren't total self contained. Yet we let them in today. 2. Remember those short sighted individuals who blocked Argosy's and motor homes?

Most of us said if the unit is tied to Airstream, based on name or production, then they should be allowed to join. No further questions. Anything short of that is a repeat of the Argosy/motorhome snobbishness.

Our unit voted to allow any Airstream product in, regardless of the self contained clause. Those folks buying this new generation of Airstream will be the future twinkie owners anyway. Turn them away now, they'll never come back even once they own the "approved" Airstream and the organization will continue to wither on the vine.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:54 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Our unit voted to allow any Airstream product in, regardless of the self contained clause. Those folks buying this new generation of Airstream will be the future twinkie owners anyway. Turn them away now, they'll never come back even once they own the "approved" Airstream and the organization will continue to wither on the vine.

Jack
From a marketing point of view, that is very forward thinking of your WBCCI unit, Jack. My wife is in PR and marketing and points out why it is so smart of Airstream to be nice to us vintage owners and show us all the support they can - one day we may buy a new coach from them. And she's right, if it was in the budget, I'd have an order for a Safari 25 SE LS FB right now.

John
Old 08-13-2005, 01:27 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
2. Remember those short sighted individuals who blocked Argosy's and motor homes?
Anything short of that is a repeat of the Argosy/motorhome snobbishness.
Turn them away now, they'll never come back even once they own the "approved" Airstream and the organization will continue to wither on the vine.

Jack
This is the EXACT reasons why I have not joined in the 22 years that I have owned Airstreams and Argosys.
When I bought my first Argosy I had a friend of my father's tell me that I will not be able to join the WBCCI. I told him that was their loss, not mine.
Even after the inclusion of Argosys I was not compelled to join as I had felt, (and still do feel), that this was done for monetary reasons. Why in the world would they start allowing Argosys in more than a decade after Airstream stopped producing them? Member dues.
I really do dig the people in the WBCCI. There are several coming to my rally in two weeks. I just feel that the "powers that be" need to be aware that all of us are potential members.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:36 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Base Camp update!

Come to find out, Nissan designed this jointly with Airstream.
Here is a picture that you can tell is hooked to a Nissan.
To read more about it go here: http://www.gizmag.com/go/4279/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	base camp.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	13974