Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2003, 08:23 PM   #21
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Thumbs up Steve...

Great shots! Thanks!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:32 PM   #22
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Say it ain't so, Wally

I hope it is well recieved by the RV crowd in general, but I first bought a TT to get away from the nuisance and inconvenience of tent camping. Combining canvas and metal to make halfbreeds like this IMHO should be left to the SOB crowd, not associated with the Airstream name which to me has always symbolized quality, longevity and the ultimate camping experience.
Why the beancounters at Airstream would feel the need to compete in the pop-up market is beyond me but maybe I'm just an old fogey.
Can't you just envision a campground full of Pontiac Aztecs pulling these things and spending half of their time setting up/taking down their rigs?
I'll pass.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:58 PM   #23
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
but maybe setting a trend......

Next in line?:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harley.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	4030  
Old 12-04-2003, 09:26 PM   #24
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Well...IMHO I think this is a pretty smart concept for AS. They are certainly increasing in popularity with the entry level (and fastest growing) age category (35 - 45) in RV sales. But they don't really have any entry level products. ($38K is NOT entry level!)

This seems to me to me to be a great "crossover" concept that answers the camping, outdoors, sea kayaking, SUV/Minivan owners who wants to move up from the tent but still be cool, hip and trendy and perhaps, dare I say it, even want a toy hauler. This could get them into something that is unique and has the brand recognition and heritage of AS behind it - pure marketing brilliance.

I suspect this might not be well received initially by the current AS crowd but honestly - so what? AS is in business to make money and grow their brand. They've been doing a great job promoting the brand and generating interest in their products from a fairly new market but don't have a product price point to land this interest on. Good for them for thinking of this one. At least there is one manufacturer that is not afraid to think outside the [white] box and push some buttons.

Besides...we all need a market to sell our aging AS's to when we're all too old to drive anymore!

BTW – that Freightliner B rocks. Very nice inside and out, great cockpit and all the engineering you would expect from AS. If I were looking for a B this one would be my pick for sure.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:19 AM   #25
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by swebster@myrvadvanta
Well...IMHO I think this is a pretty smart concept for AS. They are certainly increasing in popularity with the entry level (and fastest growing) age category (35 - 45) in RV sales. But they don't really have any entry level products. ($38K is NOT entry level!)

I've gotta agree with Steve... none of us are going to dump our current Airstreams for one of these... it wasn't meant to appeal to us (unlike the squarestream that was targeted at the then-current trade-up market). This is pretty brilliant. They're looking to grab white-box market share from those twenty and thirty-somethings driving M-class Mercedes and (God help us, Azteks and Honda Elements).

I've also got to say that I think it was a stroke of genius to base the design on one of Wally Byam's original magazine-pattern trailer designs from 1933.

How much more Airstream could you want? Retro and cutting edge at the same time!!!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:41 AM   #26
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Airstream Yugo??

One of the features I like best about these forums is that we can disagree without being disagreeable.
I respect the opinions of those who favor Airstream's entry into the world of bottom dollar camping but I would much prefer that AS focus their attention into maintaining the Airstream name as a symbol of American excellence and pride in RV's.
The Base Camp may well be a product whose time has come but at what price? Can we reasonably expect a Base camp to still be in use 65 years from now? What's the life expectancy of a canvas trailer?
My personal view is that the Base camp will go the way of the Ford Edsel or new formula coca-cola.
Purist Airstreamers will find this a bitter pill to swallow, much as the Squarestream..
If I want excellence in a car, I buy a Rolls, in a motorcycle I buy a Harley, in an RV I buy an Airstream.
What's in a name? I suspect a whole heck of a lot.
Hey Mr. Airstream tech, the zipper on my Airstream is stuck, what should I do?
Bah, humbug.

Rog
Old 12-05-2003, 09:46 AM   #27
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Rog,
You are making great points on this topic. But I think they plan to make the zipper out of Alcoa Aluminum so as long as you keep it clear coated (or polished) it should give you a lifetime of trouble free service!

Actually you are right about this representing a crossroads for AS. They have an aging fleet of inventory (and owners for that matter) in the used market which because of the very quality and reliability they are know for, is cannibalizing their own new units sales.

We've all read the articles about how cool and hip AS's are becoming, but in almost every article I’ve read, the author lets readers know that even though a new one could set you back $40K - $75K, over 60% of all AS are still on the road and some can be picked up for a mere $3,000. So dealers end up competing for sales with the very units they sold years ago.

I'm a perfect example of this problem. I love AS's. I can't wait to see the new 05 Classic MH. But, I'm not a good AS customer from a “growing the new market” perspective since I specifically bought a used AS because I knew it would provide reliable and long term service well into the foreseeable future. And…I plan to hold onto it for as long as I can.

I'm not advocating planned obsolescence but the industry is based on a four to five year trade up model. If AS owners buy and hold then AS may not survive. They’ll need new blood and an entry point into their product lineup if they are going to capitalize on this changing RV marketplace.

In any case….it will be interesting to watch from my Airstream.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
They have an aging fleet of inventory (and owners for that matter) in the used market which because of the very quality and reliability they are know for, is cannibalizing their own new units sales.
If Airstream takes this line, they are confusing opportunity with excuse.

Airstream is after websites for 'dilution' of the trade name yet they do more to dilute it by putting that name on offerings like this and on other offerings that do not enforce the classic image.

The million dollar trailer park show on the Travel Channel recently called about every old trailer they showed an 'airstream' - without regard to box, teardrop, or brand name.

That aging fleet represents a market for Airstream - just ask Andy! Thor could leverage that market with upgrades, repairs, replacement parts, modification kits, information, and more. And this effort could complement a modern line. Can you imagine being able to buy an 'empty' shell that you could outfit with custom parts to suit your needs, budget, and personal design goals? Parts designed to 'plug in' with a consistent style theme, quality level, and fit?

I sometimes wonder if Airstream really knows what it is selling.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:00 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I love it!

Very cool, makes me want to have two trailers - my Argosy for family outings, the Basecamp for quick me and the wife getaways.

I think simular discussions happened when Airstream brought out the CCD's - traditional vs. new design. Porsche faithful have had heated discussions about the new Cayanne SUV.

Now that would be cool - Cayanne and basecamp...... of course, I'll be picking these up on the used market.......in about 10 yrs

Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:12 AM   #30

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I vote 'cool'! That's a pretty neat looking little guy. It looks rugged, like you could drag it into rough spots in the woods, and still have a little civilization when you got there. Personally, I like sleeping in a tent and being a little closer to the outdoors (but it's a fine line between being closer and being too close)!

I think it will really appeal to people who want to get into towing/camping without all the hassle we went through of finding the right hitch and tow vehicle, which was very stressful even with our tiny AS. Folks with just about any little SUV could hook that guy up and go. Pretty cool if you ask me. And maybe when they get tired of the tent camping, they'll find their tent camper is still in one piece, unlike some of the cheap plastic pop-ups I've seen. Then they can get some money back out of it and go buy a Bambi

I don't think it's a bad idea at all...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:14 AM   #31

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally posted by Leipper
That aging fleet represents a market for Airstream - just ask Andy! Thor could leverage that market with upgrades, repairs, replacement parts, modification kits, information, and more. And this effort could complement a modern line. Can you imagine being able to buy an 'empty' shell that you could outfit with custom parts to suit your needs, budget, and personal design goals? Parts designed to 'plug in' with a consistent style theme, quality level, and fit?

That would be so stinkin' awsome...

Old 12-05-2003, 11:52 AM   #32
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Steve,

I can't agree with that. These are 2 seperate markets. My purchase of a vintage trailer did not canabilize Airstream's new trailer sales any more than the purchase of my dodge canabilized Mercedes Benz's sales. (well, ok, "techncally, my dodge IS a mercedes benz, but we won't go there).

The reason I did not purchase a new A/S is because I don't have the means. and I doubt that many people that DO have the means are going to be into the toil and tribulations of old-trailer upkeep. sure, perhaps new A/S owners don't trade up as often as SOB owners. But I can think of at least 2 examples right off the top of my head of forum members who have traded up after a relatively short period of ownership. ANYway, Airstream, Inc, was never in the competition for my $$. Perhaps they will be someday.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:22 PM   #33
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Can you imagine being able to buy an 'empty' shell that you could outfit with custom parts to suit your needs, budget, and personal design goals? Parts designed to 'plug in' with a consistent style theme, quality level, and fit?
Bryan,
That is brilliant! Rather than run down the same path as everyone else what about playing into the customization we all do anyway with our pre-owned Airstreams. Leverage the consitency in decades of AS engineering and offer "updates" for older units.

This is essentally what we plan for our 345. We just began removing the interior in phases to update to a more modern (CCD-ish to be honest) look. If I could purchase modular concepts from AS (and could afford it) that would be fantastic!

You need to work in Jackson Center!
Old 12-05-2003, 12:29 PM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Yeah, it seems like Airstream should be protective of its reputation for longevity and premium features, but I don't think that's necessarily at odds with the development of entry-level products. The Base Camp can introduce people to the Airstream brand, build loyalty to the brand (and the local dealer), and encourage them to buy Airstream again when they are ready for the TT.

Like Chuck (and a lot of other vintage owners) I liked A/S but wasn't ready to drop $30k+ into my first RV. So I took the entry-level Airstream (a vintage unit). If it hadn't been available I would NOT have bought a new one, so I don't see how that sale cannibalized anything. On the contrary, the experience of owning a 35 year-old Airstream has proven to me that -- if I ever buy a new one -- it will be an Airstream. That's what they are after.

Airstream is being smart, IMHO, in introducing a product that can show off their quality and dealer network that more people can afford. I think the Base Camp can be built with a level of quality, features and workmanship that will separate it from all small SOB trailers -- if Airstream is smart about it.

And don't forget that this opens the market to the tens of millions of folks who would like an RV but (due to vehicle choice) can only consider pop-ups. We were in that boat and it felt like the RV industry hated us: "Get a truck or tow one of these cheesy pop-ups!" Neither option appealed. Now Airstream is opening up a third option. I like that.

The interior will be key. If it looks and feels like a cheap SOB, Airstream will have blown it. My guess is that we'll all be favorably impressed by the quality of the interior if they ever launch this thing.

But Leipper hit it on the head. What I really want is a new shell that I can customize! That would be absolutely INCREDIBLE and I would buy that in a heartbeat.

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 01:01 PM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
We probably could have bought a Bambi, with financing, but were'nt sure if we'd enjoy RVing, so we opted to spend less money on a vintage and see if it suited us. We love it, of course!

In fact I'm glad we didn't buy a new one because of the quality issues we've all heard about. I think those quality issues are a much bigger deal than worrying about a pop-up diluting their brand name. When you discover that people buying $35k+ new trailers are having more trouble on their first trip out than we had with our $6k 35 year old trailer, that's something they need to worry about.

Experimenting with new designs and concepts is a good thing, as long as the quality is there. Maybe it will be a success and change the general pubilc perception that Airstream went out of business years ago!

Old 12-05-2003, 07:57 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Change is hard. Especially when you get old like me. When I first saw the CCD's at last years RV show, I thought A/S had gone off thier rocker, but as we stood inside one---wow-- most of the people coming in were overwhelmed & really liked it. Again at the local A/S <?> dealer they had one on the floor & watching peoples reaction was interesting, as most of the people I saw going thru it, really liked them. Guess it's my age or my long sought dream for an A/S, but I like A/S as they were , are & ???. Now Bryan's idea of a shell ready to customize, is interesting. Remembering how Dell & ??? took over the computer maket with thier customizing & easy to upgrade computers? An interesting concept A/S.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:34 PM   #37
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I am sure if you contact Airstream's commercial department they will sell you a shell as you like it. With or without whatever windows you want, etc.

I think the base camp is a cool idea. We skipped the tent/pop-up stage and went from truck camping right to a 74, 27 foot overlander. The cost of the overlander was in line with a new pop-up. If the base camp is in that same range as a pop up similarly equipped then I think it will be a model to contend with. BTW my understanding is that it was designed to evoke the shape of the original plan built unit like Dr. Holzman's torpedo.

It will be interesting to see how it is equipped and what features will be offered. I would bet that fully equipped this will weigh less than 2K. That would keep it under the tow rating of 70% of the cars on the market today. Talk about a wide open target market!

My opinion on the tent portion of the unit is that it is just a different style of awning/screen room. I doubt it will take as long to put up as some of the screen rooms I have seen installed on trailers do.

Those that make the point that Airstream has no entry level product are to me hitting the nail on the head. Most younger working families cannot or will not spend 40K on their entry into the RV hobby. renting is not really an option as the only thing to rent is a Mini Winnie and most folks that rent one say that after that they would never buy one.

So I for one think it is a step in the right direction. It will be interesting to see it play out.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:18 PM   #38
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: Say it ain't so, Wally

Quote:
Originally posted by Rog0525
I hope it is well recieved by the RV crowd in general, but I first bought a TT to get away from the nuisance and inconvenience of tent camping. Combining canvas and metal to make halfbreeds like this IMHO should be left to the SOB crowd, not associated with the Airstream name which to me has always symbolized quality, longevity and the ultimate camping experience.
Why the beancounters at Airstream would feel the need to compete in the pop-up market is beyond me but maybe I'm just an old fogey.
Can't you just envision a campground full of Pontiac Aztecs pulling these things and spending half of their time setting up/taking down their rigs?
I'll pass.

Rog
I have the camping kit for a (sp)Aztek sitting in my living room. Anybody want it?
Terry
Old 01-14-2004, 04:10 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Base Camp

Interesting concept but why not do something along the lines of the TAB or whatever the small European teardrop trailer is called? Looks like a good wind would rip the tent portion off not to mention that you would be bear bait in many of the areas where you might be able to use this type of trailer.

Montanaandy
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:08 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
If this gets younger people into an AS, I'm all for it. I just think the average age of Airstreamers needs to come down.

And I think this will work. It sure is cool looking and that's an AS trait!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote