Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2021, 09:43 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Bambi
FREDERICKSBURG , VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Nope. Our 3,480 lbs Bambi 16ft bounces wildly. If the Torque-flex axle provided dampening, why do larger airstreams have shocks?
I dont know, my 20ft has no shocks and doesnt bounce at all
ShawnSk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ditto my 2007 International CCD 22 footer with dual axles. No shocks at all, from the factory.

I was surprised to discover this during a recent tire change after owing this rig for several years! I do run tires at the placard pressure so no issues with bouncing or popped rivets.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #23

2021 16' Basecamp
nevada city , California
AC Unit bolts fell out

HI
As a newbie owner of a Basecamp 16x I read with interest this post about someone losing their AC unit off the roof while driving. We just returned from a 2200 mile road trip and when we had some minor rain a small leak started. We discovered a couple of very long bolts were loose and I attempted to retighten them. The alignment was off so getting the bolts into the proper hole was difficult and they did not tighten down well. When we arrived home we had a heavy rain and the inside was wet. All four bolts were loose and basically just fell out. We have an appointment with our dealer in Fairfield CA to take care of a couple of warranty issues and this will be one of them. I don't seem to be able to start the bolts into the fitting and can't get to them so I am giving up on trying to get them threaded back into the fitting
My concern is what to do now. We have about a 120 mile drive to the dealer and I am concerned about the unit coming off the roof. Any suggestions??
tall people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall people View Post
HI
As a newbie owner of a Basecamp 16x I read with interest this post about someone losing their AC unit off the roof while driving. We just returned from a 2200 mile road trip and when we had some minor rain a small leak started. We discovered a couple of very long bolts were loose and I attempted to retighten them. The alignment was off so getting the bolts into the proper hole was difficult and they did not tighten down well. When we arrived home we had a heavy rain and the inside was wet. All four bolts were loose and basically just fell out. We have an appointment with our dealer in Fairfield CA to take care of a couple of warranty issues and this will be one of them. I don't seem to be able to start the bolts into the fitting and can't get to them so I am giving up on trying to get them threaded back into the fitting
My concern is what to do now. We have about a 120 mile drive to the dealer and I am concerned about the unit coming off the roof. Any suggestions??

Based on prior reported Basecamp ac bolt defects and owner's loosing their roof units, you are right to be very concerned. Those four bolts are the only thing holding your ac unit down.

You will have to be inventive on finding a way to reduce the risk of losing yours while driving the 120 miles for service. With the inside cover removed, can you get to the ac bracket that the screws are likely stripped in and maybe add a nut that threads on the top of the bolts so they don't pull out?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:05 PM   #25

2021 16' Basecamp
nevada city , California
AC Unit bolts fell out

I feel very lucky that I got home without my AC unit coming off my 2021 basecamp 16x. I appreciate the possible solution to temporarily secure the unit using nuts above the existing ones which appear to be stripped out since I have tried every way from Sunday to thread the existing bolts into the existing nut located above the ceiling panel and they do not thread in..

This is very discouraging since Airstream is aware of the problem but as yet haven't seen a good way to fix it. We also never received a notice from Airstream that there was a recall regarding this problem though maybe 2021 wasn't included. We chose the Basecamp x because of the possibility of using it on some rougher dirt roads and we have not even done that yet with this trailer. We did encounter some rough pavement at various times during the trip but I in no way felt that a brand new expensive trailer by a reputable company would begin to fall apart so easily. It is also an extremely dangerous situation for obvious reasons given what could have happened.
tall people is offline   Reply With Quote