Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
port chester , New York
Just got a 2020 Basecamp X

Hey All,

We just posted in the new member section as well. I just picked up my new basecamp x yesterday from Colonial Airstream in NJ. It is the forrest ridge template and has the bed mod, updated fridge, etc.

We haven't tested it out yet, but we are happy with the overall quality and that airstream is actively taking input to make tweaks each year.

I am doing a lot of research now and found a lot of helpful hacks and tweaks from this forum and the FB group page. I was wondering if there are any other online communities dedicated to the basecamp. Seeing how others made us of space is very helpful.

The most important thing will be deciding on the bed. I am 5'9" so I do think my wife and I can sleep with the half bed mod, but we will test it out. if we can, i want to see if i can cut a mattress topper to be as custom as possible for the half circle back.
mango315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #2

2020 16' Basecamp
Kenai , Alaska
There are a number of active Facebook groups focused on the basecamp
AKBasecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
EDMONTON , Alberta
Welcome and congratulations! We have tested sleeping sideways and there's actually more leg room that way almost (without the bed mod anyways).
Dasponto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
La Habra , California
I did the bed mod to my 2018 basecamp and it’s great. It makes set up and tear down way easier. I think the bed mod is great for napping during the day but to get a full good night of sleep I think the bed should be full. We have a 3 inch topper that I cut to fit so I could have the bed half or full plus it’s easier to store when needed. I actually used two twin sized mattress toppers and cut them into three pieces for a perfect fit, the sheets hold them together nice a snug for sleeping.
Mrvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
port chester , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrvad View Post
I did the bed mod to my 2018 basecamp and it’s great. It makes set up and tear down way easier. I think the bed mod is great for napping during the day but to get a full good night of sleep I think the bed should be full. We have a 3 inch topper that I cut to fit so I could have the bed half or full plus it’s easier to store when needed. I actually used two twin sized mattress toppers and cut them into three pieces for a perfect fit, the sheets hold them together nice a snug for sleeping.
Awesome. I didnt think of getting 2 twins. Good idea. I just ordered a king that i will cut but maybe ill do multiple cuts like you.

Where do you store them when u undo the whole bed?
mango315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
Basecamp mods

When my wife and I camp alone in our basecamp, we usually only set up one table and only fold up the half of the bed that is is in the middle of the trailer. We have a 1.5 inch foam topper and roll it up with the sheets and comforter toward the back door and leave it there throughout the day. We then use the space under the “head” of the bed for storage. If the kids and spouses come, we stash the bedroll in the back of the Tacoma.
Other mods include a renogy 100w solar panel with a Wanderer charge controller,
multiple stainless suction hooks, and small chrome shower caddies that attach the same way, chrome s hooks to go over the rails of the overhead storage, a spring loaded corner shower caddy, and replacement of the small chrome baskets by the sink with a three tier version that has a vertical paper towel holder. We placed motion sensor led puck lights in the cabinets and one in the bathroom. Congrats on the new basecamp. It is an awesome trailer and can really get around.
Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
La Habra , California
Since I cut it in multiple pieces it’s easy to roll up and store in the back seat of my Toyota Tundra. I find that command strips are a great item to hang pictures and our surface pro for tv. Command strips adhere great to the basecamp in side and out, when done pull them off leaving no trace. They also make hooks out of command strips that we put on Outside of the bathroom door for jackets. We use the command strips on the outside of the basecamp for the surface pro for movies outside.
Mrvad is offline   Reply With Quote