Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #1

2021 16' Basecamp
SF Area , California
Ideas for mounting a full-sized car spare to the BC16X?

Has anyone had experience or ideas for mounting a full-sized car spare somewhere on the Basecamp 16X? We're in line for getting one (have read about the quality issues... and hope we get more lucky than not).

And some of our most-likely tow cars, mid-sized SUVs, don't have full-sized spares. Which is not good in general, although is survivable around town. But a non-starter if out towing / boondocking.

Trying to figure out if there's mod that allows us to always carry an full-sized car spare on the BC16X as a safeguard. Otherwise, we're light travelers, so not totally loading it up to the max or anything.

Ideas? Anyone done this?
GokaLees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Put it in the tow vehicle and secure it.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:45 PM   #3

2021 16' Basecamp
SF Area , California
For sure. If there isn't another way. Just interested in there are some ideas / similar examples of putting it on the trailer somewhere.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I believe that at SUV with AWD or 4WD will give you a full size spare.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GokaLees View Post
Has anyone had experience or ideas for mounting a full-sized car spare somewhere on the Basecamp 16X? We're in line for getting one (have read about the quality issues... and hope we get more lucky than not).

And some of our most-likely tow cars, mid-sized SUVs, don't have full-sized spares. Which is not good in general, although is survivable around town. But a non-starter if out towing / boondocking.

Trying to figure out if there's mod that allows us to always carry an full-sized car spare on the BC16X as a safeguard. Otherwise, we're light travelers, so not totally loading it up to the max or anything.

Ideas? Anyone done this?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:49 PM   #5

2021 16' Basecamp
SF Area , California
Thanks for the quick reply, Bill. Unfortunately not all. And in fact very few of the mid-sized 4WD/AWD SUVs (outside of the Jeep Grand Cherokee) have full-sized spares -- even the American models from Chevy/GMC, etc. Surprising.

So, that's why I'm looking for ideas. The thought is to live with the temp spare for around-town driving, and have the full-sized SUV spare on-deck with the trailer for when we're out towing.

I do realize this may be wishful thinking, but open to any hints.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
I don't know -- maybe if you don't get the air conditioner compare the weight and dimensions of the spare to the weight of the AC and if not excessive mount up there?
Basecamp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
That explains the full size spare on my 2014 Durangoo.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GokaLees View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, Bill. Unfortunately not all. And in fact very few of the mid-sized 4WD/AWD SUVs (outside of the Jeep Grand Cherokee) have full-sized spares -- even the American models from Chevy/GMC, etc. Surprising.

So, that's why I'm looking for ideas. The thought is to live with the temp spare for around-town driving, and have the full-sized SUV spare on-deck with the trailer for when we're out towing.

I do realize this may be wishful thinking, but open to any hints.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
DFW , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
I believe that at SUV with AWD or 4WD will give you a full size spare.

Bill
Not any more.
Q-man13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Griffin , Georgia
External Tire Mounts

Hi GoKaLees,
I did not see your vehicle type/year listed and I don't know how much open real estate you have on your trailer tongue or what hitch type you are using for pulling. All of above is important for space available and weight tolerance. Having said that, off road enthusiast sites and suppliers of aftermarket products (including Amazon) sell tire mounts for receiver hitches and trailer tongues. I have even seen two stack receiver tubes but I suspect those wouldn't work safely with weight distribution hitches. You could mount an ATV receiver hitch adapter to your trailer tongue and then mount a receiver hitch spare tire mount to that for a full size vehicle spare or a trailer spare. You might be happier carrying a good tire-inflater/jumper combo and a good tire plug/patch kit.

Another possibility is to get a front end receiver hitch for your vehicle and mount the pare up front on a receiver hitch mount for that. That would put more weight on the front and away from the rear hitch and trailer. They make front hitches for most SUV's and pickups. If you do this, you could move it to the back when not towing to reduce air drag when driving.
Travel Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #10

2021 16' Basecamp
SF Area , California
Great suggestions, Travel Pro. I had not thought about adding a front-mount receiver hitch for a tire, likely better than strapping it to the roof.

I'm thinking that something like this Wilco Hitchgate may be the solution https://wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/ which appears to retain the vehicle's tow/tongue ratings... and seems promising esp for smaller-end trailers like the BC16. Would prob sacrifice being able to open the trunk while the trailer is hitched.

But yes, just going the patch kit & inflator route would be the most weight & gear efficient. Thanks!