Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Cupertino , California
How much discount can you get nowadays?

Hi everyone, because of Covid-19 we can only put deposit on a Basecamp that we like and wait for delivery. I read some posts here saying that it takes long time waiting. Under this situation, will it be still possible to get discount for the price? How much should I ask for?

Thank you so much!
ChristinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:16 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaS View Post
Hi everyone, because of Covid-19 we can only put deposit on a Basecamp that we like and wait for delivery. I read some posts here saying that it takes long time waiting. Under this situation, will it be still possible to get discount for the price? How much should I ask for?
Email every dealer you can, tell them exactly what you want, and ask for their best price.
XCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Cupertino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCountry View Post
Email every dealer you can, tell them exactly what you want, and ask for their best price.
Thank you for the reply. I tried. But they usually only tell me MSRP. If I ask them the best price, they don't reply anymore.
I am not expecting a lowest price just hope to get a reasonable market price and won't be ripped off.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I tried. But they usually only tell me MSRP. If I ask them the best price, they don't reply anymore.
I am not expecting a lowest price just hope to get a reasonable market price and won't be ripped off.
I got about 17% under MSRP using the above technique late last year.
XCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
How far are you willing to drive? I got 20% but I had to drive to another state.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Cupertino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCountry View Post
I got about 17% under MSRP using the above technique late last year.

Thank you! That is a good reference. Have you received your BC?
Old 01-30-2021, 04:05 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Cupertino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
How far are you willing to drive? I got 20% but I had to drive to another state.

Within 300-400 miles is no problem. I don't know why when I text or email asking them the best price they just suddenly silenced.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:05 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
I got 23% at Airstream of Tampa on my 2021 Classic 33 last July.
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:58 PM   #9
knight-rider

2021 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Things have dramatically changed in one year. We pretty much called every possible dealer in the west coast. Everyone is giving max 5% because of the high demand. Some dealers are sticking to 3-4%. It's insane. I don't know how it is in mid or east. We finally got 12% at one dealership; we put the deposit down 2 months ago; delivery in August. But someone backed off from their deal and another unit with different options became readily available. On this unit, it's around 9% below MSRP (that's how desperate customers are, including myself, to buy BC). It's not a great deal, but because it's readily available, we decided to get it. If we use it a lot in summer - and we are planning to do - we can justify the additional ~2K premium price we paid
knight-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:04 PM   #10
knight-rider

2021 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Within 300-400 miles is no problem. I don't know why when I text or email asking them the best price they just suddenly silenced.
During these times of high demand, asking for the best price won't work. Keep a budget in mind, do some reverse calculation, and ask if they can meet that price. Be ready to put the deposit instantly if they meet the price. If they don't meet the price, ask for the next best price that they can meet. It all depends on how many customers are in queue in that dealership, and if someone backed off from the deal, etc.
knight-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Its been a couple years now but I got a great deal from Toscano RV in Los Banos, Ca

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:59 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
Last October I contacted every dealer in the US pitching 20% discount for cash. Several accepted but only one had the 2021 23FB we wanted so we drove from So Cal to Texas to pick it up. This worked perfect because it gave us a delightful two-week shakedown cruise meandering back home via ultra-scenic Colorado.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4490 2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	387845  
Old 01-30-2021, 09:33 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Redmond , Washington
Given the market, I really don't think many dealers are going to discount that much. Like others, the best thing to do is to be able to travel to places that may have less demand.
Alreddawg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:54 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Cupertino , California
Thank you all so much for the replies! Now I see what to do. Yes this is indeed not a good timing to buy a RV. I will try to see if there is any luck somewhere!

Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2021, 09:57 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Cupertino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking1 View Post
Last October I contacted every dealer in the US pitching 20% discount for cash. Several accepted but only one had the 2021 23FB we wanted so we drove from So Cal to Texas to pick it up. This worked perfect because it gave us a delightful two-week shakedown cruise meandering back home via ultra-scenic Colorado.
How nice it looks!!
Old 01-31-2021, 01:57 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alreddawg19 View Post
Given the market, I really don't think many dealers are going to discount that much. Like others, the best thing to do is to be able to travel to places that may have less demand.
That’s what 99% of the dealers told me last October. When I bought my 2021 FB23 it was the only one in the whole country that was available—in fact it was just coming offline at the factory when we struck our deal. If you don’t ask the answer is always NO
Old 01-31-2021, 09:23 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
I think a 20% discount is realistic. We bought a 27' Flying Cloud last year for around $87k. Sticker was $106K. My understanding is that if you order one, that discount is even more likely. That might be counterintuitive but with that transaction, the dealer has no carrying costs like storage, insurance, etc. The only thing I would worry about is the right of refusal if there is an issue when your Airstream is delivered. We ordered a Winnebago about four years ago (since sold) and picked it up at the Iowa factory and it had a few poor workmanship issues but we were stuck somewhat. There is a value in seeing what you are buying. Good luck.
Rofsteinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:13 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Airstream of Tampa will email you their best price if you use the form on their website. It was better than MSRP and we used it as a starting point with other dealers. Calling Colonial Airstream could be a good option too. In our experience most dealers were willing to match or beat the price from another dealer, but didn't want to be the first ones to offer a lower than MSRP price. If they can't beat the price but can match it, don't be afraid to ask the dealer to add things like a weight distribution hitch for free or at dealer cost. Step #1 to getting what you want is asking for it. We ended up buying used for a variety of reasons, but used this strategy when we were still shopping for new trailers.
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rofsteinmd View Post
I think a 20% discount is realistic. We bought a 27' Flying Cloud last year for around $87k. Sticker was $106K. My understanding is that if you order one, that discount is even more likely. That might be counterintuitive but with that transaction, the dealer has no carrying costs like storage, insurance, etc. The only thing I would worry about is the right of refusal if there is an issue when your Airstream is delivered. We ordered a Winnebago about four years ago (since sold) and picked it up at the Iowa factory and it had a few poor workmanship issues but we were stuck somewhat. There is a value in seeing what you are buying. Good luck.
Most AS dealers today are not doing big discounts...they don't have to. Backlog on orders is very high, especially for the popular new trailers, like the 20X Basecamp. I called around in December trying to best a 4% deal...no luck and wait would put the delivery into June. (by the way, this includes AS of Tampa!)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:08 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Bambi
FREDERICKSBURG , VA
18.5% on a Bambi 20FB this past July
ShawnSk is offline   Reply With Quote