Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2021, 09:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Heavy duty WD hitch

I’ve been offered a Weigh Safe True Tow WD hitch with a 15k capacity. Are there downsides to going with something that heavy duty on a BC20X? It’s a good fit for my tow rig (Ram 2500), but definitely overkill for the BC.

I’ve only had the BC for about a week, and I don’t need the weight distribution so much as I want the sway control. I live in a very windy part of Oregon, hence the concern.

Any and all thoughts appreciated!
dkmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
You will pound that poor trailer into smithereens with WD bars that aggressive. You will literally vibrate it apart. To put things into perspective, that's too much hitch even for a 33' classic @ 10k GVWR.

Questionable if you even need WD with a 2500 and a BC20. Sway control yes, but WD probably not with such a light tongue weight. Just get a single friction-based sway control arm and call it a day.

my $0.02.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:06 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
As someone once said....."JUST SAY NO".

Reese WD with friction bar worked very well on our 22' Safari
500lb WD bars will likely be all you need.

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
You will pound that poor trailer into smithereens with WD bars that aggressive. You will literally vibrate it apart. To put things into perspective, that's too much hitch even for a 33' classic @ 10k GVWR.

Questionable if you even need WD with a 2500 and a BC20. Sway control yes, but WD probably not with such a light tongue weight. Just get a single friction-based sway control arm and call it a day.

my $0.02.
And that’s the explanation I needed. It is adjustable, but looking further, you’re right — it doesn’t adjust down far enough! 5k looks to be the lower limit for what they recommend.

Not having towed anything that mattered before, I didn’t realize sway control was separable from weight distribution. Oops.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I am on the otherside of the fence!

I have the same hitch for my 22FB and it works great. Don’t let the heavy bars scare you away. The hitch has a dampener built into the scale that softens the ride. Our sport weighs about 4,200 lbs with a TW of 500 lbs. We have used it for 2 years now and the trailer isn’t showing any signs of stress. Towing is very stable and smooth.

Another plus is it is very easy to use!

I think the BC might present a challenge installing the sway brackets on the a-frame as there is a cover that might be tight to the top of the a-frame. This will be the same issue with any hitch that clamps to the sides of the a-frame.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post

I have the same hitch for my 22FB and it works great. Don’t let the heavy bars scare you away. The hitch has a dampener built into the scale that softens the ride. Our sport weighs about 4,200 lbs with a TW of 500 lbs. We have used it for 2 years now and the trailer isn’t showing any signs of stress. Towing is very stable and smooth.

I think the BC might present a challenge installing the sway brackets on the a-frame as there is a cover that might be tight to the top of the a-frame. This will be the same issue with any hitch that clamps to the sides of the a-frame.

Good thing the fence is there....

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
Old 09-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:

Just wait until to start breaking elevator bolts. Search that up and get your wallet ready for the repair bill.

There is nothing “soft” about a hitch that is designed to leverage weight on a 1,500lb tongue / A-frame.

Choose the right tool for the right job.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Dublin , Ohio
Doubt you need it for a 2500. I don't with a Tundra.
Q-man13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
I agree not needing a WDH on a 3/4 ton, worst case would be you need sway control, but I seriously doubt you would need that either.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRider View Post
I agree not needing a WDH on a 3/4 ton, worst case would be you need sway control, but I seriously doubt you would need that either.
He doubts...
But doesn't know.

I don't know nor can I prove, but I don't doubt, but greatly suspect that any Airstream being towed by any tow vehicle will benefit from both weight distribution and sway control. That's my opinion.

“If you’re happy with what you’re using…it’s adequate.
If other people are un-happy….it’s not”
RLC

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

RLC
Old 09-17-2021, 09:16 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Dublin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
He doubts...
But doesn't know.

I don't know nor can I prove, but I don't doubt, but greatly suspect that any Airstream being towed by any tow vehicle will benefit from both weight distribution and sway control. That's my opinion.

“If you’re happy with what you’re using…it’s adequate.
If other people are un-happy….it’s not”
RLC

Bob
🇺🇸
The BC20X dry weight is less than half of the dry weight of your trailer. I've towed mine around 8K miles, in the 6 months I've had it, with zero incidents of sway with a 2018 Tundra Crew Max 5.7 with tow package. My Tundra doesn't even require trailer brake assist until reaching a 5K lb load. The OP is running a super duty truck.
Q-man13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man13 View Post
The BC20X dry weight is less than half of the dry weight of your trailer. I've towed mine around 8K miles, in the 6 months I've had it, with zero incidents of sway with a 2018 Tundra Crew Max 5.7 with tow package. My Tundra doesn't even require trailer brake assist until reaching a 5K lb load. The OP is running a super duty truck.
In many states that means your Tundra would need to weigh 10k lbs, since trailer breaks are required in many states if the trailer weighs more then half the weight of TV.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man13 View Post
Still won't change a word of my statement above.

AND.... If you are driving W/O trailer brakes I'm glad we will most likely never meet on the road.
It matters not the trailer, any AS will benefit from a proper lash-up.

TETO

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

RLC
Old 09-17-2021, 04:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
In many states that means your Tundra would need to weigh 10k lbs, since trailer breaks are required in many states if the trailer weighs more then half the weight of TV.
Here in BC, we have a maximum GTW of up to 1,400 kg (3,080 lbs) that can be towed without trailer brakes but the hills that we have on the West Coast are quite steep. There is also a stopping distance chart that needs to be followed which probably would probably lean more towards using the trailer brakes to achieve the rapid stopping needed to meet the distances.

In North America the roads are all connected so it may be prudent to find the lowest non-braked number and use that as a guide since you could find yourself in a new adventure in a place where trailer brakes are needed at a different GTW.

I suspect that the rules in different areas would be conditioned by the type of road conditions that the rig would see.

My former 1,620 lbs. Camplite had electric brakes so I used them. Seemed like a good thing to do and my wife insisted on it so you know how that goes!

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Here in BC, we have a maximum GTW of up to 1,400 kg (3,080 lbs) that can be towed without trailer brakes but the hills that we have on the West Coast are quite steep. There is also a stopping distance chart that needs to be followed which probably would probably lean more towards using the trailer brakes to achieve the rapid stopping needed to meet the distances.

In North America the roads are all connected so it may be prudent to find the lowest non-braked number and use that as a guide since you could find yourself in a new adventure in a place where trailer brakes are needed at a different GTW.

I suspect that the rules in different areas would be conditioned by the type of road conditions that the rig would see.

My former 1,620 lbs. Camplite had electric brakes so I used them. Seemed like a good thing to do and my wife insisted on it so you know how that goes!
I agree completely. Also I think some areas require you to use trailer brakes if the trailer has them regardless of trailer weight.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:35 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Lots of good thoughts. I’ve passed on this offer, and have driven another 1000 miles or so, without any issues with wind.

I would question why you wouldn’t use the trailer brakes. If you’ve got ‘em, use ‘em is my thought. With my Ram, I have 40 or so different levels, from barely on to “woah, that hurt” — find yourself a good level where you don’t see much difference in the feel of stopping with or without the trailer. Took me a few hundred miles to find the right setting, but now it’s amazing. Stopping with the trailer feels no different than without it, the brakes on the trailer aren’t seeing undue stress, and it’s awesome.

The only time I even felt a little sway the wind was pushing hard on my truck, too. I don’t like driving in that sort of condition trailer or no, so I think I’m good.

I also only see about 2” of squat from the fully loaded trailer, and decided there wasn’t even much of a difference in how my headlights point (I’m kinda anal about this issue), so yeah, think I’m good to go!

Thanks everyone! Lots of good conversation here, let’s keep it going!