Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2018, 06:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Wisconsin
Had It With My Basecamp

Fed up with my Basecamp and Ewald Airstream of Wisconsin (I usually have to go back to Ewald two to three times per repair in order for them to fix the stuff they screw up in the process of fixing some other thing...like my refrigerator). Considering options as I can’t believe someone might want to pay me money to take the POS off my hands. Sink it in the local SCUBA lake for wreck diving? Chop the top and turn it into a greenhouse? Chicken coop? [emoji4]
Twitterpated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
Ugh...sorry to hear you've had such problems with the Basecamp. We actually considered one in our research to downsize and buy modern. It's unfortunate that the Basecamp seems to be plagued with so many problems as they are a really great concept and at least in the dealership appear well made...though I noticed that the metal storage boxes and latches we're already rusting on the one we saw. Hopefully AS can get their act together and do right by you!
Old 06-29-2018, 07:07 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Wisconsin
Seems the worst thing I do is take it to my dealer who happens to be two miles away. Next dealership is two hours away. Such a pain.
Twitterpated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Sorry to hear, we too like the design and would concider one if not for the feedback on this forum.
I have not seen one for sale on our local AS lot since last year?

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitterpated View Post
Fed up with my Basecamp and Ewald Airstream of Wisconsin (I usually have to go back to Ewald two to three times per repair in order for them to fix the stuff they screw up in the process of fixing some other thing...like my refrigerator). Considering options as I can’t believe someone might want to pay me money to take the POS off my hands. Sink it in the local SCUBA lake for wreck diving? Chop the top and turn it into a greenhouse? Chicken coop? [emoji4]
I'll be glad to haul it away for you
My daughter wants one!
Old 06-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSK N TUSK View Post
Gut it and use it for a horse trailer.
. . .

For pygmy horses?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Omaha , Nebraska
Nest Issues

Sorry to hear, we bought the Nest, so many issues, front "ski goggle" window leaked as soon as we got it home - washed and waxed it first day, and just the hose rinsing off the roof leaked down the inside onto the fabric interior and leather dinette. Then I discovered a cracked area under the front fiberglass body when wiping off the wax that someone had smeared what looks like bondo (?) near it to patch it but didn't even come close. After that, we looked under the body and found at least 3 more areas that had been repaired. Add to that, there is an area near the top of the rear lighted handle that the fiberglass is eggshell thin and cracked like an egg - causing a hole. Then the fabric on the interior around the 2 windows on either side of the ski goggle window "bubbled up" in several places, so makes me think something leaked behind the panels that we didn't see previously, and moisture caused the fabric to seperate from the panels. We were so excited to get this trailer, our retirement dream, and it has been nothing but a nightmare! Several other issues as well. On vacation and now have our trailer in for service, they tell us it may take a week, we were supposed to be home in 4 days, my husband will be missing work, and the trailer was our place to stay. So where am I supposed to stay with a dog and parrot? NOT a happy camper anymore!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180622_150021.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	315468   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180623_132719.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	315469  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180620_093414.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	315470   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180617_194508.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	315471  

Beboplu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #8

2017 Basecamp
Spokane , Washington
Basecamp POS?

After 2 seasons with my Basecamp, it is apparent AS brought this unit to market prematurely. This season my unit has been in the shop as much as in my driveway. It certainly isn't accretive to the Airstream brand image. Yes, leaks, fit and finish and factory driven modifications will haunt the Basecamp until they are fully resolved by AS engineering.

I'm thinking that the price point of the solution we all would like would have put it out of reach for enough folks that it would not have achieved a P & L viability and abandoned. Maybe they should have done it right with the expectation that it would introduce Airstream to a whole new generation of RV'ers?

That said, for what it is - it's still a wonderful unit if your priorities are ease/economy of pulling it, accessibility to remote sites, pretty reliable components, and attractiveness. I can't go into a camp site, gas station or grocery store without being approached by someone commenting (positively) about the attractiveness of the Basecamp.

I choose to look at this acquisition through a more positive lens. It's my first unit so I'm learning some valuable DIY skills until I jump into a 19' Tommy Bahama.
The glass is half full or half empty. Make this what you will - no offering is perfect.

Alan
BCStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 Nest
San Rafael , California
Basecamp vs Nest

Sorry to hear about your Basecamp. We were looking to downsize , slightly, and got the new Nest (saw the Basecamp, it's just not us). After reading the previous post about the 'eggshell thin' fiberglass, I am rather concerned... Ours (3 weeks old) is in for a correction on the magnetic strip that keeps the screen door closed. Workmanship overall is a bit iffy on the details... But the eggshell thin fiberglass has me thinking I'd better take a closer look...

Overall, we LOVE the Nest. Perfect fit for us. We chose the front bed model over the 'U' table/seating floor plan because we wanted a bed. We don't plan on sitting around a table. It would be great for 'game day' at a stadium or a portable small office at a site, but for traveling, I want a bed. We're two and a 45 lb Border Collie. Fits us just right.

So far, I've found everything to be solid and well done. Sure hope that there are no surprises awaiting us...

Happy and safe travels ,
-Marc
Silvr_Lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beboplu View Post
Sorry to hear, we bought the Nest, so many issues . . .
. . .
Thanks for the not-so-great report, and welcome to the forum!

You might want to post your report to one of the Nest threads, where the other owners are having a conversation about this new model:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f546...et-181181.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f546...ts-183330.html

There are plenty of other threads in the Nest forum, so take your pick:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f546/

Thanks again for the report.

Peter
Old 06-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Do your state's lemon laws apply to RVs and travel trailers? Something to look into as an avenue to force AS's hand in resolving this.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Important Basecamp threads to remember BTW:

Simple Survey about the fridge: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html
Basecamp Issues: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...es-162632.html

Over 1200 posts in these two threads alone!

Old 06-29-2018, 10:59 AM   #13
Tinbox

1964 19' Globetrotter
Panama City , Florida
Interesting. We took our AS International to Jackson Center and when we got it back the HDMI cable was broken, one drawer wouldn't shut, and the channel trim on the pantry door was missing. We just ordered the parts and fixed it ourselves.
Tinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Wish I had not read this thread.

We are expecting to buy a 2018 or 2019 25FB Twin International later this fall. This lack of quality makes me wonder if we are doing the right thing.

I currently have a 2013 Casita 17SD, bought new. Only issue was the television holder was put on backwards and it popped a rivet last season while going down a very gravel road.s

If they offered a unit comparable to the AS 25FB I would not be in the market...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If you want to know about recent QC, put "quality control" in the new blue search box above.

Fasten seat belts however.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Don’t Do It!

Anyone considering purchasing a new AS please don’t do it! I wish I had known to read this forum before my purchase.

I had always heard about the excellent quality of an AS. I wanted a product that I would keep for many years so I bought a 2018 Flying Cloud 27FB in June 2017. Since then, it has been in for repairs almost as much as it has been on the road. Not a week goes by that I don’t pull into a campsite and open the door to a surprise. Cabinet doors hanging on one hinge, contents scattered across the floor, table leg fell off, drawer glides fell off, RV Propane Detector alarming when on the road, batteries won’t charge from solar panels, replace batteries and now RV Propane detector keeps alarming when the water heater is on, fresh water tank overflows when hooked up to City water, black tank valve won’t close fully so every time you stop to dump it’s a mess, air tv stopped auto programming, BluRay players stopped working and had to be shipped off for replacement, and worst of all the one AC unit can only cool 8-10 degrees below outside temp. That means when I arrived in West Texas the end of May and it was 108* outside, my AS cooled to a pleasant 99*. And it has been for AC repairs three times.
Again. Don’t buy an AS. Run, don’t walk away.
TxTravelsUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the base camp. You might look at the Oliver Elite or Oliver Elite II. I am driving over to their factory next week to look at the Elite II. Their quality looks to be a step above Airstream. I have only owned a vintage AS but the horror stories I see online have put me in search of a better product for the money. My wife and I are planning to retire soon and want to travel with the least amount of problems as possible. Airstream doesn't seem to be the product!

Anyway, Good Luck!
MC
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Omaha , Nebraska
Silvr_Lining response

Silvr_Lining our screen door on our nest broke day 1 - the inside handle fell off and down the track, then the outside handle did the same, it was impossible to open it. We had to put a piece of gorilla tape on the track under each handle to keep it in place so we could open and close it. Apparently there is some kind of pin or screw that goes through the handle and holds it up. It is a flimsy screen door and not going to last. We are by no means rough on anything in the trailer, quite the contrary - I spend a lot of time keeping it clean and orderly. I don't know how our Nest got okayed to leave the factory with all the testing AS claims they do for leaks and quality. Who lays down under a trailer when doing the delivery inspection? You can bet I will next time! I'm almost 63 years old, don't want a trailer I have to constantly repair! If I did, I could have saved myself $30,000!
Beboplu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #19
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Twitterpated,

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you have had with your Basecamp. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.
You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #20
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Beboplu,

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having with your 2018 Nest. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.
You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.