Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
GFCI Reset - Help?

We just got our BC back from the dealer this morning, post axle recall (no issues thus far...). However the retractable power receptacles by the sink/stovetop do not work. They are plugged in, and the outlet they are plugged in to says GFCI protected but there is no test/reset button. Owners manual says test/reset is in the converter box if not on the outlet. So I went to the converter box, and hit Test but nothing happened. So I thought I'd switch the breaker next to the test button off and then on again. I turned the breaker off, but now it won't let me flip it back on again (I can move it to the On position, however it does not click/stay there, and instead just moves back to off). See photo attached. Any ideas/suggestions?

Please note that we are boondocking, so running off solar power only. Lights are working fine, and other USB charging outlets are also working fine (e.g., in the little arm/drawer container by the front door.

Thanks in advance!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0642.JPG
Views:	875
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	284924
Diocletian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The gfci breaker requires 120v to reset.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Thanks overlander63! Looks like my wife and I are gonna have to arm wrestle for whose electronics get charged tonight :-)
Old 05-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If breaker is tripped, press "off"'direction to reload the breaker then switch on. Does it work?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:54 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
Thanks overlander63! Looks like my wife and I are gonna have to arm wrestle for whose electronics get charged tonight :-)
That will be an every day occurance, because 120v outlets will never work unless you are plugged in to 120v.
Does your trailer have an inverter?
Old 05-07-2017, 04:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Any chance of borrowing a generator in order to reset the GFI circuit breaker? A 1000 watt unit would be big enough. FYI we got a small Yamaha gen converted to propane last year for boondocking, and it works great off the AS's low pressure LP port. Will charge the batteries and run our fridge but no A/C or water heater of course.

Is there only one USB outlet available? This runs off the 12-volt system and does not require 120-volt service, right?

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the USB power ports worked on the solar charge - so we both have our phones fully juiced for the day. There are two convenient USB ports with the bed out, and a couple more that I can kick loose in my sleep. So a great trial run for future boondocking for sure. Thanks for the info/advice everyone!
Old 05-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
GFCI reset

If you have a late model vehicle, I'd bet there is a 120 volt inverter outlet in it somewhere. With a light (not heavy) extension cord, I'd bet you could go to a wall outlet, and backfeed the whole AC system with enough power to reset a GFCI.

Lemme know if it worked?

Kent
Houston
Kent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Any chance of borrowing a generator in order to reset the GFI circuit breaker? A 1000 watt unit would be big enough. FYI we got a small Yamaha gen converted to propane last year for boondocking, and it works great off the AS's low pressure LP port. Will charge the batteries and run our fridge but no A/C or water heater of course.

Is there only one USB outlet available? This runs off the 12-volt system and does not require 120-volt service, right?

Good luck!

Peter
I believe the fridge and water heater will run off propane.

No 120v just means no A/C and no operable receptacles. Don't worry about resetting the gfci receptacle until you have 120v power.

Since you have solar you might just go with a small inverter (500-1000 watts) so you can operate your tv or a fan for cooling, essentially any thing that requires less power than your inverter provides.

We love to boondock and carry a 1,000 watt Honda generator for emergencies. We can easily stay out 4 days using just our two golf cart batteries, no solar. Suggest you get a small voltmeter. Don't let your batteries get below 12.1 volts.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Hummelstown , Pennsylvania
If is like ours the reset is the one in the bathroom. I believe it is the master for all of them.
pdonohue47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #11

2017 Basecamp
Clarkston , Michigan
Had the identical issue with my 2018 BC and figured it out:

1. Disconnect all power, to include turning the battery switch to off.
2. Flip all circuit breakers off.
3. Hook up to 120v power source.
3. Flip the 30 amp main breaker (should be the one at the top of the row) on.
4. Flip the two GFCI breakers on one at a time - they should stay on.
5. Flip the remaining 3 circuit breakers on.
6. Turn on the battery switch.

You should now have complete power, to include the two pull up receptacles on the galley countertop.

Hope this helps - LOVE my BC!!!!!!!!
BCTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:45 AM   #12

2011 30' International
Purcellville , Virginia
GFCI Reset

Was just about to seek a replacement GFCI circuit breaker for my 2011 Serenity International. Then, came across your post and it worked like a charm. Thanks !!!
lovalabx3 is offline   Reply With Quote