Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Dry Flush?

Hello fellow ‘Streamers.
After taking a few year hiatus from exploring the roads via our airstream we are back. After selling our ‘28 FC Airstream five years ago to explore boating and some international travel we are back to the roads in the US with a soon to be acquired Basecamp 16X this coming October.

Since this is brand new we have an opportunity of breaking in the tanks and keeping the gray/black as only a gray. My concern is capacity of the combo tank and the unpleasant task of visiting a dump station more frequently.
Has anyone modified their Basecamp by removing the toilet and installing a dry flush system? https://dry-flush.com
This is the system used by Happier Campers and appears to have a lot of benefits if you don’t mind the $1 per flush cost.
Here is a great video of it in action...

https://youtu.be/PRJXw68O2S0

Thank you all for all the sharing you do as a community.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Taking the plunge

Well I’m taking the plunge (hopefully not the plunger) and have ordered the
Laveo system
https://dry-flush.com/
The dealer has never done this install and tried to steer me to the Natures Head composite toilet. That didn’t have the same appeal.
If anyone is interested I could keep the coo up it’s posted. The biggest benefit is we will now have a 24 gallon gray water tank rather than a black/gray tank.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:02 PM   #3

2021 16' Basecamp
Arlington , VA
Would love to see a pic of it installed, including how any wiring was run to it. I'm considering a 16BC, but really want to try to fit a composting toilet in the head. A dry flush would be my backup plan.
Zanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
I have that toilet in my ‘67 Caravel. It works fine with no smell. Expect no more than 10 flushes per cartridge. Have plenty of spares on hand when traveling. I carry cat litter in a small water bottle to add to the toilet if just urine...it helps it “flush” better.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
MINNETONKA , MN
Schu, just wondering how the conversion went, or if you decided against it?
bls72bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:46 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls72bmw View Post
Schu, just wondering how the conversion went, or if you decided against it?
The manufacturer continued with delays due to parts issues. That made me concerned on future viability, since you can only use their bagging system. They offered to give us A full refund which We did...we are now waiting for Nature’s Head compost toilet. Should be here in December. In the mean time we are using the Basecamp only for gray water and using statue campground facilities and WAG bags when necessary.