Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Palm Springs , CA
Door lock stuck

Heya- it seems the lock to our side door is stuck in the locked position. Neither key will turn to the unlocked position (we’ve been crawling in the back door since this happened last night)

Is this common? We are on the road so any diy fixes would be appreciated ?

Thanks!
Victor Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Stone View Post
Heya- it seems the lock to our side door is stuck in the locked position. Neither key will turn to the unlocked position (we’ve been crawling in the back door since this happened last night)

Is this common? We are on the road so any diy fixes would be appreciated ?

Thanks!
Hi Victor Stone,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 08-16-2020, 10:10 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
I hope you've solved the problem by now -- but did you try pushing (or perhaps pulling) on the door before and during the rotation of the key?
Basecamp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:33 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If your stabilizer jacks are down, have you tried to reduce the pressure on them? You may have torqued the frame which is hanging up the lock. Worth a try since I've seen this happen before.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Palm Springs , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basecamp19 View Post
I hope you've solved the problem by now -- but did you try pushing (or perhaps pulling) on the door before and during the rotation of the key?
Appreciate the question and suggestion. The key would not turn even when the door was swinging open.

It was stuck for well over a month and then all of a sudden, it just started turning/working just fine a few days ago.

This is massively unfortunate because I’m about to take it in for servicing in 2 days so (of course) they can’t fix it if it isn’t broken - but clearly there’s something wonky going on so we’ll see.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Palm Springs , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
If your stabilizer jacks are down, have you tried to reduce the pressure on them? You may have torqued the frame which is hanging up the lock. Worth a try since I've seen this happen before.

Jack
Appreciate the effort to try and solve it, like I said above, the key was not turning even when the door was swinging open when opened from the inside.

This was happening in every configuration possible including needing to scramble into it at a gas pump so we could use the bathroom.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Walnut Creek , California
Same recently happened to our 2017 AS. The upper lock just wouldn't turn to the unlock position. Just as the locksmith and I were thinking about breaking out a window, the locksmith produced a big wooden mallet. He began striking the lock area as I kept working the key. It opened. I took off the interior plate. The lock worked. I put the plate back on. The lock worked perfectly. Our AS dealer has a two month wait time so here's to hoping we don't get locked out on the road. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
hmthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
When the cylinder is working it's a good idea to squirt (dry) graphite into the lock and working the key in and out to try to get the graphite into the pin sleaves and between the pin splits.
Basecamp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Our lock was getting harder and harder to open.
i sprayed a dry lube inside ( don't use oil based as it will collect dirt quickly)

well, it now opens up very easily, even better that the day 1 state
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
Our lock was getting harder and harder to open.
i sprayed a dry lube inside ( don't use oil based as it will collect dirt quickly)

well, it now opens up very easily, even better that the day 1 state
Same here. I used a graphite powder to lubricate my door locks, and now they work perfectly.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
2021 Bambi Lock

We have a 2021 Bambi & have been having problems with our door not shutting properly where the “master” key isn’t able to lock without a lot of fighting the door & many choice words before it’s finally locked. We pushed & pulled on the door more times than not! My question, is it possible to have a new lock such as this installed??? If so, who would I seek out? Would it have to be an Airstream person? Could a regular locksmith do it? Would he/she be able to obtain such a lock? Thanks for any input!!!
IF pic can’t be seen, it’s a lock similar to what Ford has on their trucks for keyless entry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC8090E7-4C4B-4B6A-AE69-612C5E395AED.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	381929  
SUP'n Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Walnut Creek , California
Replacement Lock?

I share your thoughts. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. The AS lock has a "Rube Goldberg" design that is prone to failure and costs many times more than simpler, more elegant designs. I have been looking at replacements but they appear to require significant, irreversible changes to your door and door jamb. Before I break out my Dremel, I am hoping someone posts their solution.
hmthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:22 AM   #13

Avon , Minnesota
Dubious start

We took possession of a new 23 Basecamp 20X last week, and are now locked out of it. The key does not fit in the rear door, and the key will not turn the deadbolt, which has been acting stiff since the start. I’ve tried everything mentioned here (not using the stabilizer jacks at the moment) and have had no luck. Is this an ice issue? Or am I forced to drive this thing across the state to the dealership for repairs already?
MNCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 11:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCampers View Post
We took possession of a new 23 Basecamp 20X last week, and are now locked out of it. The key does not fit in the rear door, and the key will not turn the deadbolt, which has been acting stiff since the start. I’ve tried everything mentioned here (not using the stabilizer jacks at the moment) and have had no luck. Is this an ice issue? Or am I forced to drive this thing across the state to the dealership for repairs already?

Another solution could be to take it to a local locksmith for them to pick the lock and get you back in. From there you can open things up as needed and look at it all.

If you think it’s an ice issue, maybe bust out a hair dryer and see if heating it up and applying some sort of lubricant will help.

Sorry this is happening

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:28 PM   #15

Avon , Minnesota
Some de-icer in the back door lock let us get it open. I was able to open the deadbolt from inside and get the side door open. Even with the door open, the deadbolt key will not turn. The tumbler seems very loose. Has anyone else had this issue?
MNCampers is offline   Reply With Quote