Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
Dealer Feedback

Basecamp owners,

Spoke to Bay Area Airstream this week about the new Basecamp. They told me that the axle and leak issues had all been addressed, and that engineers were working on the refrigerator issue. Does that track with your experience?

I have a Jumping Jack (canvas popup) and want to upgrade for a bathroom, kitchen, and power. The 16 and 22 sports as well as the 19 flying cloud could work with my TV, but I'm more of a camper than a glamper - and the wife will be tagging along very infrequently.

So, what else should I be asking? Likely to go visit the dealer in a week or two.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pat
camperguy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
It tracks with my experience. We never had leaking and the axle/wheel swap addressed the tire proximity to the fender flare issue and, in addition, it gave the trailer a few additional inches of ground clearance.

As for the fridge issue, Bay Area Airstream has been working alongside every effort I have been making to track and document the fridge performance under various ambient temperature conditions. They know the extent of the issue and are waiting for a factory fix that works. My experience with Bay Area Airstream is positive. They have been very supportive since our purchase. The service department is both competent and responsible, in my view.

With respect to the factory, we visited Jackson Center recently on our way from Charleston, SC to northern Minnesota and got the most recent mod designed to addressed the cooling deficiency when ambient temperature is in the mid 80s. As of last week, our Basecamp was one of three that has had the fix. It did not work as outside temperature approached mid 80s and AS knows this. I have provided data to both Bay Area Airstream as well as Jackson Center on how and when the fridge can attain and maintain a food safe temperature. AS engineers continue to work on a fix.

The fridge is a significant elephant in the room, but if I put it aside for now, our Basecamp is everything we expected and more. I will soon do a recap here of our 6,857 mile cross country trip.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
This has been our experience as well. There are one or two minor issues that came up after our first trip (legs were stuck in the tables, the bathroom door doesn't sit flush) but those really aren't universal issues. Otherwise we LOVE our Basecamp and are looking forward to using it the next few weekends.
YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Not a knock on the Basecamp, just a general "shopping" suggestion:

Head over to a dealer and take a look at several of the small models. Spend some time in each of them. It's easy to get wrapped up in web specs. When you look at this and that, you may see some things that steer you in a different direction.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
It tracks with my experience. We never had leaking and the axle/wheel swap addressed the tire proximity to the fender flare issue and, in addition, it gave the trailer a few additional inches of ground clearance.

As for the fridge issue, Bay Area Airstream has been working alongside every effort I have been making to track and document the fridge performance under various ambient temperature conditions. They know the extent of the issue and are waiting for a factory fix that works. My experience with Bay Area Airstream is positive. They have been very supportive since our purchase. The service department is both competent and responsible, in my view.

With respect to the factory, we visited Jackson Center recently on our way from Charleston, SC to northern Minnesota and got the most recent mod designed to addressed the cooling deficiency when ambient temperature is in the mid 80s. As of last week, our Basecamp was one of three that has had the fix. It did not work as outside temperature approached mid 80s and AS knows this. I have provided data to both Bay Area Airstream as well as Jackson Center on how and when the fridge can attain and maintain a food safe temperature. AS engineers continue to work on a fix.

The fridge is a significant elephant in the room, but if I put it aside for now, our Basecamp is everything we expected and more. I will soon do a recap here of our 6,857 mile cross country trip.

Thanks for the feedback on BAA. I look forward to your write up.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
Thanks,

Did the legs and door issue get fixed?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperguy58 View Post
Thanks,

Did the legs and door issue get fixed?

Thanks

Not yet but I am scheduled on 8/24 to fix the fridge and door. The table legs I am going to figure out on my own this weekend. Didn't have time last time we were out.
YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungishJedi View Post
Not yet but I am scheduled on 8/24 to fix the fridge and door. The table legs I am going to figure out on my own this weekend. Didn't have time last time we were out.
We found that the short table-legs in our base-camp stuck as well. We sprayed a little w-d 40, that helped a little. We find that after you separate the legs form the base, just give a quick hit, with your hand or rubber mallet. The legs are loosened and easily screw out from the top table.
CamperGirls is offline   Reply With Quote