Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Campin' (and chillin') with the BaseCamp!

We just got back from our second trip in the BC and I'm happy to report that (almost) all of our previous "issues" have been resolved. We spent 3 nights at Colonial Woods Campground near Revere, PA - a very niec CG, clean and relaxing. We still haven't cooked inside the trailer, and I doubt we ever will, as we have our Coleman stove and a newly acquired Coleman gas grill. An 8X8 awning for the kitchen area and a 10X10 for over the table and we were quite comfy.

Here are a few pix of the set up (and my better half).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9473.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	39432   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9475.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	39433  

Name:	DSC_9476.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	39434   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9478.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	39435  

Name:	DSC_9493.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	39436   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9501.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	39437  

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You guys look like you really know how to lay out a spread! You'd be welcome at one of our rallys anytime

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Thanks for sharing your pics. That Basecamp looks like a whole lotta fun!

We don't like to use the kitchen in our Bambi much either. We use a Camp Chef outdoors for most everything. So far I've only boiled water for tea on the indoor stovetop.

What was the name of the campground you stayed at in PA?

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Thanks for sharing your pics. That Basecamp looks like a whole lotta fun!

We don't like to use the kitchen in our Bambi much either. We use a Camp Chef outdoors for most everything. So far I've only boiled water for tea on the indoor stovetop.

What was the name of the campground you stayed at in PA?

-J
Colonial Woods was the CG. Only one other AS there (a Safari, looked to be about 25'), a seasonal whose owners didn't come for the weekend. There is an old Overlander in the storage yard, looks pretty rpough and hasn't been on the road for a long time (reg ran out in 2004). We were tempted to ask the park owners about it, but cooler heads prevailed...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 06-17-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That's quite a set-up. Looks like you are seasoned campers. I love the little baseCamp sign with your name. That must have been custom or did you make it?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:44 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I love the pictures. Your BaseCamp is tent camping to the 10th power.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, first pictures and matching story to go with a new BaseCamp I've seen. Looks like you have it all together and complete. Nice to hear and see a BaseCamp in action. Thank You for shareing with us.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
...I love the little baseCamp sign with your name. That must have been custom or did you make it?
We met a metal crafter at a craft show back in December. I sent him some pix of the BC, and he took his plasma cutter to steel. His name is Brian Libby, he's out of Farmingdale, NJ. His prices are quite reasonable and he does great work (IIRC, the sign was $65.00 - cut and painted). I have a phone number and email if you're interested.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Way Cool!!!!

If (when) they make a bigger one with a full bath arrangement and real storage tanks.......I'm there!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Now THATS how you set up camp.

Uber cool.

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:50 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Magnolia , Texas
Basecamp info

Bob,

I am going to see a basecamp in person today for the first time. Your posts have been very informative and helpful to me. Thanks for the great pictures too.

Although I have some reservations, I think that the basecamp is the best solution for my particular need. I have some rural property in the beautiful woods of East Texas. Lots of wildlife and live creek. Just a beautiful setting. Access is a little tough. The basecamp looks like a wonderful way to bring building materials in for a future retirement cabin, as well as have "living quarters" (so to speak!) while I develop the land.

I am wondering if the problems you encountered and brought to the attention of AS have been addressed in the current inventory of basecamps or am I going to encounter the same probs and have to go back to the dealer to get them fixed as they arise. Anything at all that you can tell me about what to look for when I visit the dealer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
kathleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
If (when) they make a bigger one with a full bath arrangement and real storage tanks.......I'm there!
There's room! A nice old fashioned tub with old fashion holding tanks...I think they used to call them buckets. And you don't have to winterize. Or maybe an inflatable hot tub.

Bob how is the camping going? Got more pictures? I would be so excited to encounter a Base Camp in our travels. Saw an really nice ALiner last trip out but the Airstream has it beat hands down in the cool factor. Outdoor kitchens and the entire camp set-up is neat.
Attached Images

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleena
Bob,

I am going to see a basecamp in person today for the first time. Your posts have been very informative and helpful to me. Thanks for the great pictures too.

Although I have some reservations, I think that the basecamp is the best solution for my particular need. I have some rural property in the beautiful woods of East Texas. Lots of wildlife and live creek. Just a beautiful setting. Access is a little tough. The basecamp looks like a wonderful way to bring building materials in for a future retirement cabin, as well as have "living quarters" (so to speak!) while I develop the land.

I am wondering if the problems you encountered and brought to the attention of AS have been addressed in the current inventory of basecamps or am I going to encounter the same probs and have to go back to the dealer to get them fixed as they arise. Anything at all that you can tell me about what to look for when I visit the dealer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I doubt that anyone has used a basecamp for hauling building material before. When you look at one try to visualize getting stuff in and out and keep an eye on how much they can carry.

A better solution might be to park an older unit on your property and transport building material on a flat bed trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
kathleena - I wouldn't choose the Basecamp for hauling building materials. It's max weight is 2500 or 3000, depending on the axle installed. Lumber gets heavy - FAST, as does drywall. Besides, for the price of a Basecamp, you can buy a nice, ready to go vintage unit AND a suitable utility trailer for hauling building materials.

I don't know how long you'd want to live in the Basecamp. The Basecamp facilities are rather limited and wouldn't be very comfortable for a long term. As for the problems we've had, Colonial has been good about fixing the issues as we've identified them, but it seems everytime I tow it, something new crops up. If you do decide to get a Basecamp, DON'T get the 20" wheels! Get the standard wheels and tires, they are designed for trailers, unlike the other wheel options.

wheel - We haven't been camping since we got back from North Carolina to pick up our Argosy. We did get the Basecamp back from the dealer (again), but we've been so busy remodeling the Argosy, we haven't had a chance to get out again.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Bob,
Could you educate me on the 20" wheel issue?
I have them and was wondering what the problem might be.
Biz
bizcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Any photos from the inside to give an idea of the volume added with the Kelty?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote