Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Broken door on new models

After 2 years of reading every post on this forum concerning the Basecamp, I finally made the decision to buy one. My biggest concern was the refrigerator and because the 2020 went to a new model, I thought this was now the time. The dealer had 3 new units that had recently come in. All three units had a cracked bathroom door. They said this must have happened during transit. I noticed they all had large tool chests that were loose inside the bathroom. My thinking is that during transit these probably got flung around breaking the doors. I am surprised the dealer would show units like this, but more alarming is the lack of attention to detail from manufacturer when setting up units for delivery. I left deflated, thinking I would encounter even more issues once I took possession.
newtorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Well, maybe step back and take a breath...

I bought a 2017 shortly after they came out. We are pushing 15,000 miles with it. If the fridge worked, I would be a happy camper pretty much 100% of the time.

If I were in the market for this type of trailer today, and knowing what I know about the recent history of the Basecamp, I might still buy one.

Only hesitation I have from my personal experience comes down to two issues. Airstream introduced the 2017 Basecamp with a fridge design that did not stay cool except under the mildest of climates without having first let one sit outside in a state that gets hot in the summertime (when most folks camp, I’m guessing).

When it became clear to me that the fridge could not vent adequately to handle outside temps above 80 or so, it took a long time as well as a visit to the factory in order to get attention to the problem. For a long time, I was told by AS that mine was the only BC having this issue.

Then came the “fixes”; none worked. My trailer has been to the dealer (who has done everything within their power to make this right) some 5 times now. We have been through 2 or more fans, new baffles, you name it. Nothing has worked.

I knew and I believe that AS knew at the time that these issues arose that an absorption fridge cannot work without vertical venting. That they went with a compressor after telling me for two years that there was no need for a compressor pretty much says it all.

My wife and I just picked up our BC from the dealer after I agreed to try AS’s latest suggestion to replace the black plastic tank cover with an aluminum one used on the Bambi. Strangely enough, this was another proposal I put to AS as I knew that the black cover was a heat sink right in front of the vents. As they did with my request to swap out for a compressor, AS refused my request on the aluminum tank cover. That both of my requests were turned down only to see AS ultimately embrace them 2 years later says volumes about the current state of AS attention to real customer problems, in my view.

While we were at the dealer, we looked at a new 23’ Globetrotter. Though we were both interested in the newly designed interior and the extra space, we couldn’t bring ourselves to consider another AS at this time. Not necessarily because we thought that the Globetrotter would be ladened with problems, but because we have little faith that any issue that might eat into AS profits won’t again be treated they way my fridge was.

For what it’s worth, the current BC is much more likely to work out for new owners primarily because of those of us who have been uncompensated Beta testers.

Good luck with your decision.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

remote , AL
Ive heard also people door warp in the heat , i was reading someone in arizona where the door warped.

The glue sometimes comes off on had to reapply some in the windows and the gray pocket holder in bathroom
navathehutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
2018 Basecamp
Eden , Utah
We hava a 2019 Basecamp X, and experienced the same cracked door issue. We are currently awaiting a replacement door. The dealer told us it was becoming an issue on the 2019 models. The crack originates out of the inboard latch screw hole, and runs down the length of the door. As we clean it after every trip, it had to have happened while the camper was in storage. Without destructive testing it looks to be limited to the interior Formica layer. It is possible traveling with the top and bottom latches engaged, is subjecting the door to some unknown stresses, as it is mounted with a full length piano hinge.
MTB Basecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Creswell , Oregon
My 2019 rear door opens every trip by itself even with the dead bolt locked. Been adjusted multiple times and now AS gave the go ahead to replace it. Oh and been about a month, door is back ordered still..

Trade you door issues?
Fiala06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Grand Junction , Colorado
MTB Basecamp - about your cracked bathroom door...

We recently purchased a previously owned 2019 Basecamp. Been on a couple trips and had it in storage. After we picked it up we noticed a crack had appeared across the bathroom door. Shallow and thin and seems to be limited to the first layer of plywood (or whatever the first layer is). Also found similar vertical cracks in the bathroom side walls.

Have you resolved your door issue? Is Airstream replacing this under warranty? What do you think caused it - heat, vibration?

Thanks,
John
JohnDDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote