Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2022, 12:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbus , Ohio
Best Backup camera system

I have a 2022 16x, TV is a 2018 F150, SCREW, 4x4…3.6L Eco
So, what is the best after market backup camera system?
Chalmers.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I assume you want to have a view from the rear of the Camper?

Couple of options:
1) On the outside of the camper.
2) Inside the camper looking out the window.

I have the Voyager. That is what came with the camper. Not thrilled with it. The problem is that it can get moisture inside, and I have had to replace the camera. That's a real hassle. But now that I know how to do it, the next time won't be that bad.

I only use the rear camera for seeing obstacles behind me. Don't use it at all for backing up. It is nice to see if there are cars behind me while driving. And it does give me some awareness of objects directly behind the camper. But the depth perception isn't all that great, and it isn't all that good at night.

But I wouldn't call it a "back up camera."

So I would say don't get the Voyager from my experience. Not sure what the best is, but the Voyager wouldn't cut it.

I would search top 10 rear view cameras.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
I just replaced the factory installed voyager with a Haloview, its some improvement, especially the picture quality. But I still have to do something about the frequent disconnects which happen all the time just as on the voyager. We have a 27FB and a F350 so overall the distance is just too long. I now plan to attach an external wifi antenna and put that somewhere through the back of the cab onto the camper shell.
ZeGermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
For the TV and when hitching or for behind the trailer?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:54 PM   #5
Rookie

2022 20' Basecamp
Falls Church , Virginia
We went with a wireless (battery powered) option for our 20X and are super happy. It doesn't give you "always on" video and it's not specific to RVs, so don't count on the signal strength being sufficient for longer rigs (we currently use a Tahoe as a tv and haven't had any problems).

When activated, the camera turns on for up to 90 seconds - which is plenty sufficient for our use. I can press a button to turn it on and see if anyone is behind me on the highway - or use it for backing up. The screen is okay. It's 5", which is probably on the smaller side these days. There is a solar charger on the camera as well as a way to remove it and plug it in to charge it. The solar charger worked fine for me for the entire summer season.

The real seller is the ease of installation: back out the two screws on your license plate, mount the bracket, slide on the camera, done! It took only a couple of minutes - there were no wires to run or cables to splice on the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pquotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:44 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
I have a Haloview RD10 and installed it with their extension transmitter. The camera is mounted in the normal spot on the rear of the trailer and the extender is mounted on the roof in the center of the trailer. I would like to install it again, this time running the wires from the camera to the extender internally somehow (not sure how, and it hasn’t bothered me enough to try and figure it out yet).

The best part is the display, which attaches over your existing rearview mirror. We full-time and move at least a couple times a week, and I leave the display connected to the mirror all the time. When it is not powered, it works as a normal rearview mirror.

I also don’t use it for backing up. I use it like a regular rearview mirror when pulling the Airstream. It works great.
Jeff7176 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
Meant to include this link…

https://www.haloview.com/haloview-wi...hcam-rd10.html
Jeff7176 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I took the other road.
I picked the Haloview as a compromise of cost and reviews.
I mounted it inside the rear window and power it from a UBS port with a 12v. adapter.
I was worried the signal couldn't get out, but it's been so rock solid I can't make it break up. I can turn the antenna 90º from the transmitter and I go from 4 bars to 3.
I've disconnected, and driven to the other side of the storage yard and I still see it.
I have the 7108. Pairing was "Turn on the monitor, it's there!"
The downside of mounting inside is in very, very dark roads the infrared LED's come on and wash out everything like a camera flash in a mirror. There is a fix by Haloview that involves removing a small jumper inside the camera.

It kinda replaced my Garmin BC-30 (298 lines, but very wide). I say kinda because I mounted it under the Haloview camera aimed down towards the rear bumper.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:54 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbus , Ohio
Behind my 16x..
Old 12-06-2022, 07:55 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Behind my 16x
Old 12-06-2022, 08:25 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I took the other road.
I picked the Haloview as a compromise of cost and reviews.
I mounted it inside the rear window and power it from a UBS port with a 12v. adapter.
I was worried the signal couldn't get out, but it's been so rock solid I can't make it break up. I can turn the antenna 90º from the transmitter and I go from 4 bars to 3.
I've disconnected, and driven to the other side of the storage yard and I still see it.
I have the 7108. Pairing was "Turn on the monitor, it's there!"
The downside of mounting inside is in very, very dark roads the infrared LED's come on and wash out everything like a camera flash in a mirror. There is a fix by Haloview that involves removing a small jumper inside the camera.

It kinda replaced my Garmin BC-30 (298 lines, but very wide). I say kinda because I mounted it under the Haloview camera aimed down towards the rear bumper.

You cut a hole in the screen. My wife won’t let me do that. I shouldn’t have asked first…
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I have both…one on the rear license plate frame of my truck…and one on the license plate frame of the AS.

After backing up/hitching up… Plugging-in the 7-way connector… I installed a 4-wire (horse-trailer) connector adjacent on the truck rear bumper…to plug-in the AS camera…. That way I have only one monitor taking up space in the “cockpit”.

I used a “Peak” aftermarket set-up… This might not be convenient for owners who aren’t “handy” with installations or are challenged by electrical-wiring… because although it is a “bluetooth” (wireless) device…the distance from AS rear to truck cockpit was simply too far for clear picture…. so I hardwired it ..(installed the camera transmitter in the front doorpost cover for both cameras, thereby giving me a clear and powerful signal.

I have a cockpit-switch that selects the AS camera with a simply push of the switch….my truck camera still wakes up/transmits when my backup lights powers it if the AS is not hitched-up/camera powered.

BIG CONSIDERATION: I found that AS backup camera not very helpful backing into a campsite at night due to poor illumination…. so I also installed backup lights on the AS. (Ordered all the pieces from etrailer, cut the holes, installed and wired to the correct pin on the 7-way….Looks identical to the OEM AS tail-lights.
VERY HELPFUL but had to use incandescent lamps because LEDs simply didn’t have the band-width to illuminate smaller objects at night.)

Another consideration for a trailer rear-view camera: I consider one Mandatory…to monitor fools closely-following you when towing. I cannot count the number of times I’m coming up on a Left-turn…and signaling my intentions … and just as I am about to begin the turn some inconsiderate asinine hot-rod behind me pulls out to PASS me!

I am all in-favor of rear view cameras. They should be standard equipment, IMO.

Hope this helps.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:30 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I tried three or four dealer-installed wireless cameras. None of them were reliable, but I think wireless has improved since i tried it. I gave up and installed Rear View Safety commercial-grade wired cameras at the trailer license plate and at the top-center of my truck cap. The monitor replaced the rearview mirror which was useless anyway because my cap has no windows. The trailer camera has a microphone, but I don't use it and, like others, I don't use the camera to back into campsites.

This installation is absolutely bullet proof but pulling the cables through and under the truck was time consuming, and some fiddley splices in shielded 22 AWG wire were required for a workmanlike job. Regardless, I'm glad I did it.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 12:53 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Fullerton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalmers.1 View Post
I have a 2022 16x, TV is a 2018 F150, SCREW, 4x4…3.6L Eco
So, what is the best after market backup camera system?
Chalmers.1,

1-1/2 years ago I replaced my review camera on my 2021 Caravel 16 with a AMTIFO wireless camera, and it has been solid. I can easily see when someone is trailing me on mountain roads and heavy traffic with a quick glance of the monitor. I couldn’t get tow mirrors on my 2022 F150, and 3rd party slide on mirrors still aren’t available, so I heavily depend upon this camera to show me what is behind me.

On Amazon: RV Backup Camera Wireless HD 1080P Trailer Bluetooth Rear View Cam System Touch Key 7'' DVR Monitor Split Screen 4 Channels for Truck Camper Adapter for Furrion Pre-Wired RVs AMTIFO A7

I removed the original, connected and mounted in same location. I too use as a review monitor, not for backing up so much. The way it’s wired, my headlights must be ON, not in auto mode (daylight running lights), but I prefer to have as much visibility as possible while towing.

If you register for warranty, they offer a second camera or other items of your choice, at least they did when I purchased.

Hope this helps.

Bob
NeahBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeahBay View Post
Chalmers.1,

I couldn’t get tow mirrors on my 2022 F150, and 3rd party slide on mirrors still aren’t available, so I heavily depend upon this camera to show me what is behind me.

Bob
I got after market mirrors for my 2020 right after I bought it. I could even get the towing mirrors with BLISS. Go to boost auto parts. Half the cost of Ford mirrors.

https://boostautoparts.com/pages/pro..._2022~mk_f-150
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:05 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks everyone!