Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #1

2022 20' Basecamp
Bend , Oregon
BaseCamp20x Tacoma

Hello everyone!

New to the forum. We made the leap and sold our VW Westfalia, my third one over the years (loved them but time for a change and more space) and ordered our basecamp 20x , delivery sometime this spring hopefully. I wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on towing the BC20x with the Tacoma.

We have a 2009 Tacoma double cap 4x4 (3 inch lift) , Firestone Airbags, sway bars, upgraded rear springs, towing package, TEKONSHA P3 brake controller., Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control Hitch 600 lbs.

With the canopy on the Tacoma, and other equipment, the load capacity, with the hitch weight, will be close the the payload limit. Tacoma's have terrible load capacity. Our primary use will be boondocking during the ski season at snow parks and the ski resorts. We live in Bend Oregon and for the most part will be headed up to Bachelor, Mt Backer and Mt. Hood. We average 80 plus days skiing a year so we are excited to use the BC next year. In the summer we mountain bike all summer so the same thing, boondocking in the backcountry forest service dirt roads etc.

While we are waiting for the BC have an opportunity to pick up a really great deal on a Bambi 16 2022 right now. They bought it and have to sell. We were contemplating that the towing with the Tacoma it might be better with the Bambi, lower weight loads, however we were not sure of the Bambi in the winter ( no tank heaters just the furnaces heading them from what i gather
) and off road and how it would do, snow packed roads and forest service dirt roads.

We believe the BC20 is the right match for what we need, though it is heavier but maybe the Bambi would be also.

We would be thankful for some feedback on how the Tacoma does pulling the BC20x. Or your thoughts on if the Bambi is a better fit.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and feedback.
DawnPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
DUBLIN , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnPatrol View Post
Hello everyone!

New to the forum. We made the leap and sold our VW Westfalia, my third one over the years (loved them but time for a change and more space) and ordered our basecamp 20x , delivery sometime this spring hopefully. I wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on towing the BC20x with the Tacoma.

We have a 2009 Tacoma double cap 4x4 (3 inch lift) , Firestone Airbags, sway bars, upgraded rear springs, towing package, TEKONSHA P3 brake controller., Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control Hitch 600 lbs.

With the canopy on the Tacoma, and other equipment, the load capacity, with the hitch weight, will be close the the payload limit. Tacoma's have terrible load capacity. Our primary use will be boondocking during the ski season at snow parks and the ski resorts. We live in Bend Oregon and for the most part will be headed up to Bachelor, Mt Backer and Mt. Hood. We average 80 plus days skiing a year so we are excited to use the BC next year. In the summer we mountain bike all summer so the same thing, boondocking in the backcountry forest service dirt roads etc.

While we are waiting for the BC have an opportunity to pick up a really great deal on a Bambi 16 2022 right now. They bought it and have to sell. We were contemplating that the towing with the Tacoma it might be better with the Bambi, lower weight loads, however we were not sure of the Bambi in the winter ( no tank heaters just the furnaces heading them from what i gather
) and off road and how it would do, snow packed roads and forest service dirt roads.

We believe the BC20 is the right match for what we need, though it is heavier but maybe the Bambi would be also.

We would be thankful for some feedback on how the Tacoma does pulling the BC20x. Or your thoughts on if the Bambi is a better fit.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and feedback.

Model: 2009 Toyota Tacoma...Bed length: 60 to 73.2″...Towing capacity: 3,500 lbs... Bambi Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries) 3,000

The Tacoma " Dry" almost approaches the Towing capacity of the Bambi...By the time you add people/effects/water you are placing yourself in potential towing dangers...Most of the Tocomas around her are either lifted or set high on factory wheels/tire

You get caught in a high cross wind situation...heavy 18 wheel drafts..you could flip the truck and trailer..also the ski resort back roads do not always play nice...Its your decision..but I would not consider it
Philisophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #3

2022 20' Basecamp
Bend , Oregon
That was my concern with the Bambi. The Tacoma has a 6500 tow capacity so we’ll with in range. The Bambi sure is appealing but I spoke to a dealer today and he said that it really won’t work for what I need own for and to stick with the Basecamp
DawnPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philisophe View Post
Model: 2009 Toyota Tacoma...Bed length: 60 to 73.2″...Towing capacity: 3,500 lbs... Bambi Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries)3,000

The Tacoma " Dry" almost approaches the Towing capacity of the Bambi...By the time you add people/effects/water you are placing yourself in potential towing dangers...Most of the Tocomas around her are either lifted or set high on factory wheels/tire

You get caught in a high cross wind situation...heavy 18 wheel drafts..you could flip the truck and trailer..also the ski resort back roads do not always play nice...Its your decision..but I would not consider it

That’s without the tow package, so not really relevant.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Cary , North Carolina
I'm still waiting for our BC16 and doing research/learning about towing so this might be wrong.
It seems to me that the advertised towing capacity is no more than the 3rd most critical factor in picking a TV? The vehicle payload, the vehicle allowable tongue weight and then the towed weight in that order.
If you allow about 12% of the towed weight is that less than the TV allowable tongue weight? Recommended is 10 to 15% of towed weight on the tongue for stability.
With the tongue weight and your other expected loads is that less than the vehicle payload? The Tacoma with a shell and sway control hitch and adult passengers etc. need to be part of that calculation.
I would expect that those factors actually limit the actually allowable tow weight of the Tacoma to be much less than the advertised 6500#?
I am interested in the stiffening of springs. Does that give a problem with the insurance company should there be an accident?
Thanks for your forbearance if my comments are not pertinent. The most interesting and informative information so far has been about TVs.
AbstractLogc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 06:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Post a photo for your door stickers that show payload and axle ratings.

My guess is that payload capacity and rear axle rating will be your limiting factors. Payload includes all occupants (including the driver) and all gear in the vehicle, plus the hitch and tongue weight. Payload capacity assumes a full tank of fuel. Count on higher than advertised tongue weight.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote