Old 02-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Basecamp X - backup camera

Last fall I purchased a late 2019 Basecamp X (fortunately with the new frig unit) and learned the factory missed an essential component for me - a back up camera!

I frequently am camping alone during my photography expeditions and when backing up into a new campsite at dark, not a joy to do at the end of the day.

Thus, the search for a solution started.

As I have the Garmin 61 GPS with will mate to the Garmin Wireless Camera BC 30 I thought I would go that route. (I wanted to avoid having a second monitor besides the Garmin GPS on the dash.)

That was a big mistake! After 2.5 days of wrestling with it I finally got a signal!! But whoa folks - the quality of the signal was very poor at best!

Thus back to the internet and more searching. Eventually I discovered this item on Amazon with a 5 star rating AND Infrared capacity with 1080P resolution. Included a monitor with excellent resolution

So, here is the link to the Amazon listing:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should the link not work, here is the search title off the listing page:
"Wireless Backup Camera System with 7'' Monitor Reversing Camera for RV Truck Trailer Pickup Car Tractor,1080P Digital Rear View Backing IP69 Waterproof Guide Lines ON/Off Yuesem 2nd"

Installation:
First, I pulled out the center red LED over the rear hatch door - took some strong pulling and wiggling but it finally came out.

With NO power to the running lights, I cut the Black (+) wire and the white of the LED several inches back from the LED.

I then took the LED to my work bench and removed enough of the camera insulation encapsulating the black and red leads from the camera off at a point just a "wee" bit longer than the length of the red LED and it's lead so that when installing back I hoped the very think red and black power leads would wedge between the side of the LED and the black grommet of at the LED opening in the BCX. (It worked but be careful not to cut into the camera power leads when pushing the LED back into the cavity.)

I then soldered the lead from the LED to the positive leads from the camera and likewise for the negative. I installed insulated "Butt Connectors" to the ends of the soldered and joined red LED and power leads. I slipped over a piece of black shrink tube and slid it down the line. (Plan was to shrink the tubing once I had connected the red LED configuration to the two wire hanging out of the hole in the BCX.

All I had to do then was take the gear to the back of the BCX, crimp the Butt Connector to the Airstreams positive and ground wires.
(As I don't see an exposed fuse holder on the back of the camera, be dang careful not to reverse the power leads from the Airstream between positive and negative!!)

Now, before replacing the LED into it's opening, I plugged the monitor into the cigarette lighter and turned it on by pressing the end of the cigarette lighter plug.

I hooked up my truck to the trailer lights line, turned on my lights to give power to the running lights/red LED's above the rear hatch door and made sure the camera worked.

The camera and monitor are shipped from the factory already paired so there should was no need to pair.

I then smiled!

All that was left was to carefully nudged the red LED and two thin camera power leads back into the grommet opening on the BCX.

I then installed the camera's base to the trailers rain gutter over the hatch door and installed the camera to it.

Bundled up the excess wires and used nylon ties to secure them.

That did it.

Simple enough install and the image in the cab is excellent.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9858.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	360337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9865.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	360338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9866.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	360339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9868.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	360340  

Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
PS: In the top photo, I had to expose MORE of the power wires than what shows in the photo. I exposed just enough to have the cameras power leads go just 1/16" past the end of the LED.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-trailer...gulations.aspx
Old 02-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #4
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I figured out you were telling me the red center diode should not be blocked. A few words to that effect would have been appreciated instead of having to go through pages of regs to confirm my susp, but ....... I'll
just move the camera mount down or up and expose the LED.

Thanks, I guess.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao View Post
I figured out you were telling me the red center diode should not be blocked. A few words to that effect would have been appreciated instead of having to go through pages of regs to confirm my susp, but ....... I'll
just move the camera mount down or up and expose the LED.

Thanks, I guess.
That was my fourth attempt, and after for whatever reason I couldn't post it, I said * it, and just posted the link.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #6
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
That was my fourth attempt, and after for whatever reason I couldn't post it, I said * it, and just posted the link.
Thanks for explaining!

I was just this minute sitting here wondering about the trouble of moving it from where it is currently installed. IF I had know that before I started, I would have adjusted where I put it.

Actually Airstream Tech Support sent me a photo of an install a dealer did with an older style back up camera and it completely encased the center LED, thus only one red LED on each side of the installation.

The center LED right now still works fine, you just can't see it clearly - LOL.

I'll relocate the camera as with my luck I'll run across the only cop in the USA that knows there are suppose to be 3 red on the rear.

Jack
Old 02-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Arlington Heightsi , Illinois
Don't mess with your excellent install! I can still see the light in the photo and I'm sure it will show up when lit at night.

TheBlackDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #8
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackDuck View Post
Don't mess with your excellent install! I can still see the light in the photo and I'm sure it will show up when lit at night.

I have reached the same conclusion. It works great, was not that expensive and yes, you can see the center light at night.

I'm just waiting for the weather to clear and give me a few days of decent rain free weather. Possible starting next Thursday where I hope to go to Jockey Ridge, NC to photograph the tallest sand dunes east of the Mississippi River.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Arlington Heightsi , Illinois
Wish they would have offered this as an upgrade.

Post some images of Jockey Ridge in Basecamp Adventures if you please could. - Dr. T.

TheBlackDuck is offline   Reply With Quote