Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Rosa , California
Basecamp issues

I have a Basecamp 2018 with solar panels (2 x 80w). In just under two years I had an issue with the RV Gas detector and the solar solenoid malfunctioning. Also the Voyager back up camera had condensation build up that covers the lens image. Took Basecamp to local dealer in Fairfield Ca and they indicated more than likely the problems stemmed from bad AGM batteries. I have a solar system that should trickle charge the batteries. I store the Basecamp in an area of sun exposure. In two years I've used the Basecamp 6 times mostly plugged into shorelines. Airstream indicated that the failure of the AGM batteries around two years has happened with other owners. The rep began trying to sell me a lithium battery system for $3700. Their input to me was the the batteries are out of warranty. I find this outrageous that I need to replace the AGM batteries ($700) or change to lithium after two years. Their response to the defective Voyager back up camera is that it's out of warranty ( 1 year). Tough luck! I've done a lot of research into the Basecamp's solar package and AGM batteries. I found that in the original design of the solar package the AGM battery manufacturer indicated that the design could be faulty and affect battery charging. Airstream doesn't seem to remember any such discussion. Did Airstream address the problem? I've had 3 other RV trailers prior to the Airstream Basecamp and with external solar panels and I had the same batteries for 8-10 years. For the cost of the Airstreams I feel their quality and customer advocacy leaves a lot to be desired.
eclecticdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclecticdr View Post
I have a Basecamp 2018 with solar panels (2 x 80w). In just under two years I had an issue with the RV Gas detector and the solar solenoid malfunctioning. Also the Voyager back up camera had condensation build up that covers the lens image. Took Basecamp to local dealer in Fairfield Ca and they indicated more than likely the problems stemmed from bad AGM batteries. I have a solar system that should trickle charge the batteries. I store the Basecamp in an area of sun exposure. In two years I've used the Basecamp 6 times mostly plugged into shorelines. Airstream indicated that the failure of the AGM batteries around two years has happened with other owners. The rep began trying to sell me a lithium battery system for $3700. Their input to me was the the batteries are out of warranty. I find this outrageous that I need to replace the AGM batteries ($700) or change to lithium after two years. Their response to the defective Voyager back up camera is that it's out of warranty ( 1 year). Tough luck! I've done a lot of research into the Basecamp's solar package and AGM batteries. I found that in the original design of the solar package the AGM battery manufacturer indicated that the design could be faulty and affect battery charging. Airstream doesn't seem to remember any such discussion. Did Airstream address the problem? I've had 3 other RV trailers prior to the Airstream Basecamp and with external solar panels and I had the same batteries for 8-10 years. For the cost of the Airstreams I feel their quality and customer advocacy leaves a lot to be desired.
Hi eclecticdr,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having/had. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to hearing from you.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 06-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
La Habra , California
I think that’s awesome that airstream contacted you through this fourm to help you take care of your problems
Mrvad is offline   Reply With Quote