Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2020, 11:38 PM   #141

Westminster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizzyHat View Post
I recently purchased a 2020 Basecamp X. I want to install a TV. Small, probably 22". I want to mount it on the exterior bathroom wall. What is the wall made of? Can it support a TV mount? What type of screw would you use?

Thank!

Also interested doing this as well. Please keep me posted if you have already done this.
Tools2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #142
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Eugene , Oregon
This is perfect. How big is the bed part in the small configuration. We are pretty good smugglers and the idea of not having to make up the bed at all ever is very appealing. SNUgglers. Not SMugglers but I can’t get my keyboard to work to fix it.
LaRoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #143
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
EDMONTON , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizzyHat View Post
I installed two 18 LB gas struts and they work amazing

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0156P6YVC...p_mob_ap_share
Much smarter choice!

For those of us with the Dometic fridge and noisy fan, someone figured out a solution to a better fan for computers.

I also chatted with a co-worker/engineer/computer buff.

The Noctua fans are supposed to be fantastic quality so are a solid choice. As far as air moved, the current fan is a 120mm fan moving roughly 100cfm at the maximum 3000rpm (hence why it is so noisy, its flying!)

Noctua has a 140mm fan that will move 140cfm at 1000rpm. 1/3 the speed with a 40% increase in air movement while also drawing less amperage as well (0.13a vs. 0.60a of the current fan at max speed).

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX50783
Dasponto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #144
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
La Habra , California
I guess I depends on which way you sleep north to south or east to west! You’ll definitely be happy with this mod! It makes the bed set up much easier to set at the end of the night when yer tired and ready to just sleep! The bed is 2/3 made all the time.afternoon naps are great!
Mrvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:00 PM   #145

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Old Today, 12:44 PM #1
scottyb

sarasota , Florida
Hi Basecamp owners!
My wife and I happened to see a great space gaining solution for our 2018 basecamp on YouTube.
We made a cut on the side foldout boards and hinges down to the size of the shorter back cushions. You need to have an 1/8” gap between the cut so the boards pass each other with ease.
This allows us to have the bed setup and keep a table top set up at the same time. It also allows us to get to some storage under the bed easier when the bed is set up. For sleeping we just drop in the shorter table post , cover it w the 2 shorter cut boards we now have and the 2 back cushions and pull the foam mattress topper we use down to cover it. That converts it back to a king size bed ! during the day just pull the foam topper back towards the back door to approx a full size bed and set the taller table in place. Then use the 2 smaller cushions as back cushions at the 2 seats that are created in either side of the table .
Pictures to be attached.
This was an awesome improvement!!! Gives us so much more room to move around when 2 people are in the trailer . Airstream execs take note ! This is a very easy and inexpensive modification that is guaranteed to be a hit with basecamp enthusiasts .
Scott and Gail! Email me with any questions .
scottyb is online now Report Post
Thanks for for this modification, It is just what we needed to decide to go ahead and buy the basecamp! Could you share the dimensions of that half bed from the last picture?

Thanks
felipel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #146
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
EDMONTON , Alberta
We fashioned our own canopy with a rab tarp, climbing rope and support poles off Amazon. Packs up super small and is ultra light weight. We may order a keder rail rope and get it sewn onto the trap for better install and no gaps.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200829_203650_245.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	384967

Name:	IMG_20200829_203650_246.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	384966

Name:	IMG_20200829_203650_239.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	384965
Dasponto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #147
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Aloha , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaysandBird View Post
It's a joke about the insane amount of basecamps that have suffered from catastrophic leaks

Ain't that the truth. Our 2017 is at the dealer right now with the floor under the refrigerator rotted out. I'm told this is not uncommon with Basecamps. I'm meeting with the sales manager Friday to see if I can negotiate trading up to something that actually works.
roc97007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:17 AM   #148
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Now that is awesome!
CybrPnkJdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:46 AM   #149
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Somewhere , Washington
Chizzy, did you install two struts per side or is one strut enough to hold the storage cover open? im guessing you positioned the struts so that the cover is straight up at 90deg? I plan on doing the bed mod as well so I guess I'll have to use 2 struts per side anyways. Do you think adding one of these struts to the inside of the propane cover work to keep it open? Or would it get in the way when trying to close it? wondering how many to order...thank you for your tips.
raulsguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:52 AM   #150
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Somewhere , Washington
Roc, love the tires! Did they also increase the height at all? I couldn't make out the brand, model, and size. Can I get those from you? thanks.
raulsguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:29 AM   #151
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
Strut install

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulsguitar View Post
Chizzy, did you install two struts per side or is one strut enough to hold the storage cover open? im guessing you positioned the struts so that the cover is straight up at 90deg? I plan on doing the bed mod as well so I guess I'll have to use 2 struts per side anyways. Do you think adding one of these struts to the inside of the propane cover work to keep it open? Or would it get in the way when trying to close it? wondering how many to order...thank you for your tips.
Thanks to Chizzyhat! I installed these yesterday. I used a small piece of 2x4 on the rear strut to clear the edge of the storage compartment. One strut worked, but wasn’t very secure in holding up the lid.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B8776863-C30A-4D56-AF5E-F957ADE5F71B.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	386137   Click image for larger version

Name:	E6348DF5-6A3B-4C3E-BE39-2A73D6ED048F.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	386138  

Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:05 AM   #152

, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisandDave View Post
We found we rarely ever sat indoors in our Basecamp and the act of taking down and putting up the bed was tiresome. And finally, accessing the storage was a burden. Decided to remove the bench seats and hinges and replace with 40# gas piston assisted platform bed we made that rests upon the short table legs. Cover it with a Tochta 7" custom cut rv mattress and now sleep like never before! With the 40# assist one person can easily lift and hold the platform up while another accesses the storage. We're considering replacing them with a pair of 60# pistons to see if that would hold the platform up.

What a great modification!
Martin9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:45 PM   #153
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
This turned out to take way more time than I expected -- because of the cramped space -- but I set out to solve the problem of the combined grey/black water tank filling up quickly on the 16 foot Basecamp --even without much shower use. Now in warm weather its convenient to wash dishes outside but in the cold and wet not so much. We also don't want open food waste water in Bear country.

My solution was to put two globe valves on the sink drain with one feeding the Hevpo one-way waste valve as installed by airstream (shortening it's waste pipe), and the other feeding a 1 1/4" tube that exits through the front quarter wall via a threaded pass through fitting -- which is plugged in transit and when in use feeds a vertically-oriented Hevpo trap and then a sealed cap to a dedicated (marked) gray water aquatainer.

Again most people won't find this valuable but there are some situations where it's nice to be able to clean up inside with no fuss or mess. But for boondocking it means you can carry extra water in Aquatainers and then take the gray water sink waste away in a sealed fashion. If showers are taken outside (through the pass-through), then the waste tank restricted to toilet flushes.

If anyone is really interested I can post pictures -- but again it turned out to be a lot of effort for what most people would be limited value.
Basecamp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:55 PM   #154
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Atlanta , GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by raulsguitar View Post
I used one per side. It holds it up great. If you are going to get one for the propane platform, that one can be lighter, but not sure exactly how to mount it. Good luck
ChizzyHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #155

2021 16' Basecamp
Nashville , Tennessee
That looks great! Can you explain a little more about how you thread the rope to the top of the BC and attach the tarp?
SturgillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #156
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Delta , BC
2018 leak solve

There are a few threads on here about the issue, with no perfect solves that i found, so i solved it myself. I built a “rain stick” of sorts that mounts on the front when parked. It diverts the water coming off of the front roof line, and takes it away from the trailer. This way it doesn’t run down the front face and enter the fridge vents.
This has absolutely eliminated the rain water from entering the trailer, and we camp in the rain a lot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20998231-5E32-4C8A-B33E-23632F2DB400.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	472.0 KB
ID:	395654  
davewear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:42 AM   #157
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
2022 16' Basecamp
Wareham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basecamp19 View Post
This turned out to take way more time than I expected -- because of the cramped space -- but I set out to solve the problem of the combined grey/black water tank filling up quickly on the 16 foot Basecamp --even without much shower use. Now in warm weather its convenient to wash dishes outside but in the cold and wet not so much. We also don't want open food waste water in Bear country.

My solution was to put two globe valves on the sink drain with one feeding the Hevpo one-way waste valve as installed by airstream (shortening it's waste pipe), and the other feeding a 1 1/4" tube that exits through the front quarter wall via a threaded pass through fitting -- which is plugged in transit and when in use feeds a vertically-oriented Hevpo trap and then a sealed cap to a dedicated (marked) gray water aquatainer.

Again most people won't find this valuable but there are some situations where it's nice to be able to clean up inside with no fuss or mess. But for boondocking it means you can carry extra water in Aquatainers and then take the gray water sink waste away in a sealed fashion. If showers are taken outside (through the pass-through), then the waste tank restricted to toilet flushes.

If anyone is really interested I can post pictures -- but again it turned out to be a lot of effort for what most people would be limited value.
This is a great idea, I plan to do something similar.
Experiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #158

2019 Basecamp
Longueuil , Quebec
If you have pictures, it would be great, I'm planning to do the same thing on mine. Thanks !
Georges P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:16 AM   #159
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Fort Worth , Texas
King Camp awning + telescoping poles gets the job done for us. Can mount off the back or side.....whichever configuration works best in your site.Click image for larger version

Name:	20211123_170006.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	408427Click image for larger version

Name:	20211123_174233.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	408428
RG9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #160
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Norman , Oklahoma
Base Camp awning in the wind?

How does it do in moderate winds? We currently use a scout tarp with climbing rope threaded inti the Keeder rail and it works great until the winds pick up - than a bunch of flapping...
D Shauberger is offline   Reply With Quote